One In The Chamber?!

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Yard Dart, Nov 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I carry my 1911 cocked and safed. Working the thumb safety is in muscle memory now as part of the draw. It always just happens.

The S&W snub is fully loaded.

2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

When I was working with the sheriffs department my captain instructed me to learn to shoot from the hip accurately, and he required it of all his deputies . Drawing against a perp that has a gun already drawn there is no time to do a lot of extra movements aiming .
    Weigh all that time you're raising the gun to eye level and settling into firing position ,you've already been hit .
    If you've got the time to get into shooting range comfort he's not threat.
    What I'm taught is, if you must shoot ,pull the gun and shoot , don't sit there and show it off. When the perp is no longer a threat holster it .
    Don't uses the gun to negotiate ,use the gun to punctuate your sentence , remove the threat .
    A bee is on the attack , do you brandish a fly swatter, or do you finish the job?
    An animal apparently bent on attack is not something to attempt to negotiate peace . The will to take action is all on you . Hesitation
    will give it the greater edge every time because predators depend on prey panic ,it's is what excites them.
    when I was a kid it was not uncommon the hear of green hunters getting buck fever . either doing nothing or cycling all their ammo and not firing a round .
    I had a sister in law that went hunting with her husband and the first few times had a hard time making the shot and finally realized that game would feed her family ,she had to develop the will to kill for her families sake .
    Be a hunter for food or acting on self defense one must decide to be willing to kill, and deal with it .
    one in the chamber is that millisecond that makes the difference.
    knowing it is always loaded, is the better than assuming it is not . the margin of safety is between your ears ,

3. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Don't care if I'm field dressing a mouse or a moose someone will be watching for bears! With a loaded gun and a round in the chamber.

4. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

5. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

In a battle field swapping bocks of 5 shots might be a greater disadvantage than regular magazines that hold infinitely more , and what are you going to do carry partial blocks if there is only one in the chamber ?

7. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Being a big guy, I got stuck with the 249 and 240G, so what I see here is more weight, more bulk, twisted and useless ammo ribbons, dirt intrusion, and even the remote chance that some knucklehead (or the enemy) will set off un-chambered ammo with an electronic device, or with heat. The stuff appears to be contained within a chamber that would allow the projectile to achieve dangerous velocity. (Conventional ammo with brass cases is reasonably safe in a fire, just bursting the cartridge sides.)

It would be interesting to test this new technology against what we have now, or even older designs like an M14.

Only hits count, and I'd suggest that a return to basic marksmanship training and more live-fire training would be of far greater benefit to the military than a new and untested weapons system.

Zimmy likes this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. Matei
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Yard Dart
  5. hot diggity
  6. Oddcaliber
  7. Dont
  8. oil pan 4
  9. Oddcaliber
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Marvin L. Steinhagen