One Man and His Chainsaw!

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Tyler Danann, Feb 27, 2014.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

kellory likes this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I like the sentiment, but I'm the cutter!;) I have enough sense to keep everything out of harm's way.

3. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

150 foot tree needs 200 foot line at two thirds way up , pulled taunt after directional cut go's in , then do your back cut , but mine are two foot higher that the first so the stump looks like a chair , that way it won't want to fall back like the guy installing a new skylights in his roof !!

BTPost and kellory like this.
  4. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

where is Darwin when we need him

kellory likes this.
  5. Tyler Danann

Tyler Danann Monkey+

It was edited, it was a lot longer before that, shortening it would have left it a less fullsome experience. :)

How thick was the tree you were cutting for 2 foot displacement in your back cut????!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2014
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Doesn't matter if the Notch Cut is done properly, and the Back Cut is Angled properly...

7. Tyler Danann

Tyler Danann Monkey+

Nowhere near the road, had a logging chain plus three smaller cables on it also.

8. kellory

sorry, but I was referring to the 118' tree that was dropped well. It Landed in the street and just missed a parked truck. However, had traffic been active, and the timing bad, things could have ended badly.

Tyler Danann likes this.
  9. BTPost

There are pictures of RedWood Loggers, in Northern Cal, back in the 1880s, STANDING in the Notch Cut of 300' Trees. The Back Cut, with Wedges, being done with 15 Ft Two Man WhipSaws. Took a whole Day to fall one tree.... Those were REAL Loggers.... and many died , from not doing it right. ......

Tyler Danann and kellory like this.
  10. Cruisin Sloth

We have two trees like that on our land BT , Both are still 5 foot in diameter at the base where they were cut in 185x's or so . the springboard notch cut's are still in the stumps say 5 to 8 feet up. We were told from old logger's that the tree was left if someone died , So the downed trees that are still deteriorating into the land , giving areas for bats , squirrels etc a home are still there out of respect.

11. Tyler Danann

Tyler Danann Monkey+

12. BTPost

Heck, yes it was good pay... Two Big meals a day, bed in camp, bottle every Saturday Nite, trip to town once every month, for a weekend... In those days, that was GREAT Pay... You just had to live long enough....

Tyler Danann likes this.
  13. Cruisin Sloth

SORRY , YOU DIDN'T UNDERSTAND : respect is why the trees still lie. & you won't . End of posts on this thread from Us !
    Sloth's .

14. BTPost

Sounds like a plan Sloth, this is getting boring... Last Post for me as well.....

15. kellory

I understood it. The tree is a memorial marker, a grave stone.

16. Tyler Danann

Tyler Danann Monkey+

You've misunderstood.

I wasn't responding to your actual post when I posted that, but the one before that.

17. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Most were new to the US and from northern Eu countries. Cutting down trees was about the only game in town.

Tyler Danann likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7