One Man's Lightweight BoB With Gear Recommendations

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by chelloveck, Nov 27, 2020.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

A suggested minimalist BoB kit.

2. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Good video Chel, says pretty much what I have BUT, things are weather dependent so don’t go out in the winter with your summer bag (that’s for y’all that have winter - like in Michigan :). )

3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Agreed. Out here BOB's need adjustment at least twice a year. It's good practice since it's an opportunity to rotate ageing food out and newer provisions in along with water.

Tully Mars and chelloveck like this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I doubt that there is single solution to creating a BOB kit that satisfies absolutely all possible contingencies / circumstances...

else you'd have a bag that is like this:

[​IMG]

There are some key classes of equipment / supplies that a balanced BOB setup should have
    Shelter
    Sleeping bag / groundsheet
    Suitable seasonal appropriate footwear and clothing, including headwear and gloves.
    Fire starting (multiple methods) include a small pencil sharpener for making tinder
    Some food (high energy / compact / lightweight)
    Tools for crafting / repairs (knives / multi tool / machete / hatchet)
    Materials for crafting / repairs (cordage, sewing housewife, some wire, duct tape super glue)
    Some water in flask / container
    Mess-kit doubles for cooking / water sterilising
    First aid kit + prescription / OTC medications as applicable
    LBE layered (possibles / belt kit / Backpack)
    Items for hunting / trapping / fishing / foraging / self defence
    Navigation
    Illumination
    Communications (if moving as a group) small pocket radio for news/emergency information / intel
    Notebook and pencil
    Essential documents(laminated)
    Ziplock bags to protect items easily damaged by water immersion (also for keeping tinder dry, store water and to aid in flotation.
    A lightweight compact book for inspiration and useful information...

oldawg and mysterymet like this.
  5. duane

duane Monkey+++

Problem I have is defining purpose of bag, have 1 in car that has 3 purposes. First one is to keep me alive during a crisis, first aid and self defense very high on the list and aimed at survival in the here and now as in case of flooded roads, car accident, going off road in snow storm, random violence, etc. Kept behind driver's seat and on person. Second purpose, bag kept in spare tire area of car, is to survive 6 to 24 hours in car safely in case of floods, snow storms, ice storms, etc. This has energy foods, led lights, insect repellent and sleeping bags, etc. Purpose is with the 1st two are to keep me safe and reasonably comfortable for a day or three in my car. The third assumes that it has "happened" and I have to walk some 25 miles to the house and I may well have to avoid people while I do. Heavy on good shoes, water filter, warm and cool clothes, depending on season, and it also depends on most of its sourcing on the first two bags.

Since we plan to bug in, at 82 there is no other real alternative, the only BOB we have at our house contains medicines, a tent and hatchet, added equipment for wife, and contents of get home bags. Purpose is to keep us alive and half way comfortable until we get to our caches, 6 miles away, and then use that equipment. Have several hundred pounds cached, wife and I can realistically carry 40 or so pounds over a distance, so no have other real choice.

While it may not be good in BOB, a cached full sized axe, bow saw and spare blades, water storage and purification system, full sized shovel, a few hundred pounds of LDS type survival food, a rocket stove and good cast iron pots, decent warm clothes and bedding, ability to build a semi permanent survival shelter, stone and rock walls already in place and lumber and metal roofing cached for finishing it, looks like an old cellar hole in the side of the banking, but not a place for kids and such to hang out now, seems a lot more usefull than a 60 lb BOB that I can not carry, gives me some hope of living at least semi comfortable until the medicines give out and I find out for real how many of them I need to stay alive.

oldawg and chelloveck like this.
  6. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

I have 3 Mystery Ranch packs. Top notch gear.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7