One rifle to survive them all

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by JTab09, Aug 21, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I liked the A3O3 which I had two of and recently traded for an AR, good rifle but I prefered to stay with the modern firearms which I can find parts scattered throughout the battlefield, which is less likely with a older firearm...IMO.

chelloveck likes this.
  2. Darwin

Darwin Monkey

I have a vary different way of looking at things I guess. I for one would never consider a 30-30 a good rifle for SHTF as an only rifle, If that's all you have then ok tuff luck. A 30-30 is a nostalgic blast from the past nothing more. Try your 30-30 at sustained rate of fire they are far from a tac driver cold barrel. I guess if things aren't that bad then yes they will take deer etc.. and, yah they may drive off an unarmed person but that's about it. I have owned many and consider them a fun gun that has piss poor accuracy but still fun. I do own a Marlin 45-70 wich I would consider a much better weapon in the bush and I did get it for bear protection 5-50 yard quick shots. I do NOT consider it a good gun far anything ells , JMO.
    The thought of urban combat with any weapon based on a relic is a bad idea. I also don't consider a AR15 or anything based of that platform in 5.56 a fantastic idea (as an only weapon) they do not have the punch to flush a target out of moderate cover (behind cars etc) an AR platform in 308 I would consider much better. I also don't get the "If I only had one weapon thing" If you are prepped for things going pear shaped I would think a major part of being ready would be the right tool for the job and, 1 weapon wont cover it IMO
    I always consider a weapons realistic life My last rem700 .308 lasted 1400 rounds befor I got rid of it since the 5 round shot group was opening up above MOA @ 100 yards , I got about 400 rounds out on one of are marlin 30-30's befor the groups got to a 5" @ 100
    My Savage LRH in 338 LM got almost 600 rounds befor it too was scrap (The friggin brass out lived the rifle)
    Now I have only Tikka`s for long range. My friend is approaching 11,000 rounds down range, granted it is now an MOA weapon but he has had 4 good years of practice and his next one will serve for many years. So I guess my point is you better have a few parts guns laying around to fix your weapons wile you train and keep your skills sharp.
    My weapons are life, they feed are family, protect the home and if things go south then I need to count on them and I hope I will never be in anymore firefights under 400 yards but, if I am I don't want to be out gunned.
    Now This is just my take on things I could be as rong as two boys fackin but its my point of view.

Cheers

Cruisin Sloth and Yard Dart like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The question of "one rifle" for SHTF (or any other out of round deal) doesn't count if bugging in, it's more aimed at the bugging out scenario where weight is a concern. No question that a variety would be a good thing, however impractical when the trade off of food and water vs. ammo is concerned. There's also the consideration of terrain ---

Oddcaliber and BTPost like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I don't know where you live, but if you have to expend more that 300 rounds to protect you BOL, It isn't your shooting I would Question, but your OPSEC. Around my AoO, we figure to keep the Strangers at bay, with discouraging shoots at range, over water, which is the only way in here. By shooting from cover, it is easy to discourage outsiders, when their Wheelhouse Widows, shatter into tiny pieces, and there is No one in sight. The weapon of choice, designed specifically for this purpose is an AR10, sporting a 24" Stainless Bull Barrel, and Burris Eliminator III Optics. With custom crafted Ammunition, specifically setup for this specific Barrel, I find the 24" Gong rings pretty regular @ 998 Yds, shooting across the Inlet. It will also drop Moose's Cousins, should they present themselves, in the Fall. Otherwise, living in a Boreal Rain Forest, makes any shots longer than 200 Yds, a Moot Point, so my two 30-30 Lever Actions are certainly enough weapon, to handle local duties. The Winchester 1300 Stainless Marine ShotGun, with the Extended Tube Magazine, that lives on pegs above the Cabin Door, with. #9 BirdShot LowBase in the chamber, and the Mag filled with 00Buck and 1oz Slugs, alternating, is sufficient to deal with any four Legged Neighbors, or Two legged Thugs, that should wander into the place by accident, or on purpose. My Browning FN HiPower, and Momma's Dan Wesson .357 Mag, with the 8" Barrel mounted, will handle the in- close Duties. Considering that there are fewer than 10 other folks within 50 Sq Miles, And no Road within 250 Miles, I figure I have things under control. Not withstanding any "Black Helicopters".... .....YMMV.....

Oddcaliber and JABECmfg like this.
  5. Moatengator

Moatengator Monkey

I made it to Cabela's today to look at the Mosin-Nagant's they had for $150.00. And buy 1. The guy at the counter let me look at 2 boxes of 2 ea. And he was kind enough to let me pick, so I walked out with the nicer 2 of the 4. One is in very nice shape (must have been issued to a clerk) the other needs the stock maybe re-finished, I am very happy with them. Can't wait to throw some rounds downrange.[gun]

Yard Dart, Gator 45/70 and JABECmfg like this.
  6. Darwin

Darwin Monkey

I can only wish to have a location like yours. Up until about 6 monts ago I thought we wer ok Living in Lake Cowichan BC 578 yards from a gate that takes me from 480 ft ASL to 2900 ft in 20 minets running hard 30 if I drop trees behind us across rd. I can see into my yard from a treeline at 1300 yards wich is why I had the 338 LM . Long range defence. Now we are listing house and heading inland way away from large populated areas but if there is a road to your place chances are real good you will have more then a few visitors over time, 300 rounds could possibly be one firefight maybe you never see anyone but, if things are bad how many years will you need that 300 rounds to last.

I personally think 1 308 round will produce 100lbs of meat. for that matter 1 .22lr round will do the same 1 life straw will filter 750 lt of water. This is based on my area so for me guns ammo water filters small camp stove. I plan on living and digging in but am still prepped for a oh Shite gotta split. and I would go with guns and ammo and 30 days life boat rations for family fits in a small pack.
    This is just my take might be way off for some.

7. STGThndr

STGThndr Monkey+

Gitchu a Mosin and a coupla tuna cans of ammo. Even the FMJ will kill deer size game, and probably elk too.

8. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

If shooting black powder don't forget to have a good supply of olive oil as it keeps the metal parts including bores rust free. Search out Geojohn on the web and see how he cleans and keeps BP guns clean and rust free with little work.

While I limit hunting shots with a .30-30 to 150yds, the rifle can reach out to at least 425 yds on human targets if needed .

Jim

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. AgentPickle
  3. AgentPickle
  4. AgentPickle
  5. AgentPickle
  6. AgentPickle
  7. AgentPickle
  8. HK_User
  9. 3M-TA3
  10. Dunerunner