One Rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Tempstar, Mar 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Tully Mars, Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

M-14/M-1A - and a shotgun and a pistol, because I was born to ignore rules infringing upon my by-gawd given rights. :D

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  3. yeti695

yeti695 Monkey+

Since I'm a corn fed country boy, I would probably take my .308 Mossberg. Yes its a bolt action, but since there are two of living here I would keep a shotgun as well.

4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Something in 7.62/.308...it's the perfect round for most hunting and self defense. I went with 5.56 because of cost and availability of ammo but hope to get something in the heavier caliber someday, maybe a M1A or maybe something else, maybe AR-10...

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

.17HMR.
    My marlin is a great bolt gun , however I have my eye on a Savage semi auto 17 hmr I'd rather have.
    .17 HMR are one fifth the volume of a .223.
    In an apocalyptical event ANY INJURY will turn fatal without professional care .
    There won't be much in wild life available, (Too many people with guns) and what there is, will be weary like a parry dog .
    Small game head shots are essential to retain the most meat. the .17 is superior in this task, IMO

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Well there is the old Mosin-Nagant 91/30 rifle in 7.62x54r.
    Man when you could get spam cans of 440 rounds of light ball for under 90 bucks, what is not to love.
    Actually looking for a Finnish M39 or if I hit the lottery, an SVT-40

Gator 45/70, duane and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. duane

duane Monkey+++

Have had a few rifles but would go with the Springfield bolt action in 30-06. Had it for better than 60 years, reloads with the old Lee loader, loves wheel weight cast lead bullets, and can tailor loads from squirrel friendly reduced loads to a proven big game load. For less than a couple hundred, you are able to reload a couple thousand rounds and store the reloading materials in a small space. They seem to last for ever and I have never had a problem with it.

8. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

and while I'm being an outlaw, a .22 too. Breakin the law, breakin the law...

seriously, after giving it some thought, if I could only have one long gun, it would be my Remington 870 or a Mossberg 5xx. I can take deer, small game, birds and of course predators with any number of legs with the same gun. Plus, you didn't say we couldn't have multiple barrels for the same gun.

You did say rifle too....but with the rifled barrel installed it's technically a rifle, right? Come on, give a guy some slack, don't make me be an outlaw. ;)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I do like the idea of a .300 win mag, I see ammo prices are about what good .30/06 is going for, and I am seeing a lot more of it in more places. Kind of over kill on most "Game" though, I will be sticking with my Aught 6 all the same.

Gator 45/70, oldawg and Dunerunner like this.
  10. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

IMG_0321.JPG DPMS SAS(Semiautomatic Sniper System Rifle) 7.62. Built over a year from parts. Everything is factory OEM except stockand hand grip.

Brokor, Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and 3 others like this.
  11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

mossberg-mvp1.
    Mossberg .308 MVP LC/LSS equipped with MOE pistol grip and ten round P-Mag. Fluted, suppressor-ready threaded medium bull barrel at 18.5". Compatible with AR and LR308/SR25 magazines. Chassis is lightweight aluminum, Magpul CTR stock. Vortex 4-16x44mm Viper HS-T riflescope with MRAD reticle.

12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

How well does it shoot?

13. Brokor

Don't know, it's on the list. Soon. I just wanted to post a picture of it because it's so sexy. All the credible reviews I have researched says it's worth it. As a note, you can tell this isn't my rifle because of the store bought ammo. :)

(everything in that photo, sans ammo and binos is about $1400)

avagdu, Gator 45/70 and Yard Dart like this.
  14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Double check that, scoped it runs near 2K. W/o, 1300 is close enough. Either way, those are list prices and can be beat.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Brokor

Buds. -link removed- I don't want anybody buying my rifle!

I know. Pretty awesome. Hopefully won't sell out.

Gator 45/70 and ghrit like this.
  16. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

You did say rifle too....but with the rifled barrel installed it's technically a rifle, right? Come on, give a guy some slack, don't make me be an outlaw. attachFull52164

OK, Just for Chimo:
    You're broke, hungry, destitute and haven't eaten since last Tuesday and you find a rifle. What do you hope it is?

upload_2017-3-22_20-34-17.

17. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

loaded?

Legion489, VisuTrac and Mountainman like this.
  18. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

No, but there is 1440 rounds with it....

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  19. duane

duane Monkey+++

While I dearly love my black rifles and they have many advantages, they can be picky in operation as they need consistent cleaning, don't like cast lead bullets, and need good ammo. A stripper fed bolt action with a good barrel will eat almost anything, if you are reloading your own ammo, doesn't require full length resizing, will shoot reduced loads for smaller game, and if kept clean and oiled will operate for generations, I regularly shoot a Turkish Mauser that is 100 years old , has been used with corrosive ammo for most of its life, and only God knows where it has been in its life. Here in New Hampshire an argument could be made for a pump action 20 gauge as with various shot loads and slugs it would take any game I might hunt in our woods and be a better duck, goose, turkey, and small game weapon. Doesn't reach out and touch things like a 30-06 or 8mm and thus is limited in its use as a defensive weapon. I guess it comes down to if you had only one gun, how long will you be using it and where are you getting your supplies? At the present time with the military and all the other users, there are many times more 223 ammo out there than 30-06 or 308 and hundreds of times more than 303 or 8mm. No real question that in the short run a 223 based weapon would be the first choice, but once reloading gets involved and a longer time frame, then other calibers could be better.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I'd pick a pistol caliber carbine...I know full well the utility of a round that'll kill anything from squirrels to deer without blowing it all to heck.

1. AgentPickle
  2. AgentPickle
  3. AgentPickle
  4. AgentPickle
  5. AgentPickle
  6. AgentPickle
  7. AgentPickle
  8. HK_User
  9. 3M-TA3
  10. Dunerunner
  11. BenP
  12. Oddcaliber