One Rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Tempstar, Mar 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

If someone forced me to only have one rifle (God Forbid) I would have to take My Anderson build Ar-15 but with a 20 inch barrel and a varmint scope. With a .22 rimfire conversion kit for small game.

2. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Just how many rifles do you take afield at one time?
    It's nice to have specialized rifles for specialized sport hunting, but the rules change when skippy can shoot back.

3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

If I am on the move for a purpose, I would take two long arms and two pistols.... that is my load-out at this time. An AR-15, Mossy 890A1, S&W .40 and 9MM.The shottie has a door breacher and an adjustable tactical stock.... it fits in the ruck well. Never have one pistol when you can carry two. ;)

Motomom34 and M118LR like this.
  4. M118LR

The more you add the more you weigh, the more you weigh the slower moving the target you make.
    I'm kind of "Old School"
    leatherwood scope.

5. Yard Dart

LOL, I am a grunt and sort of hard headed.... I move fine with an extra capability. ;) Can I kill ya with one round...sure, trained to do it....call me a romantic...I like many weap's in my bed ;)

M118LR likes this.
  6. Yard Dart

Just for the record with this thread....I hate that I have to choose. A .50 BMG would make me happy, I just don't want to hump it and the ammo down the road. As Sean Connery said, there can only be one....but he was wrong....use the tools in your tool box, to what the mission dictates. Loadouts are variable...mission dependent.

Dunerunner and 3M-TA3 like this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have a question,
    Relevant to the last 20 years to those that had been in armed forces and participated (returned fire) in light arms events.
    What was the average distances those events took place. or shortest furthest, with a rifle against rifle.
    Knowing there are Taliban in this country , thanks largely to Obama, IF / when there is a collapse of some sort and warfare begins, these will most assuredly use the opportunity to take advantage of the situation.
    These experienced fighters are not likely to be using .22 s. Am I correct .?
    What might they choose and why ?

8. Yard Dart

Simple decision IMO... an AR-10 or 15. Though I love to shoot my AK's, SKS' and "other" rifles.... I like the utility of what I have been heavily trained on, have confidence in and can carry the load.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. M118LR

Being irrelevant, please allow me to share a tactical viewpoint.

Experienced Enemies of America over there, have learned the strengths & weaknesses of the General Issue M16/M4. (which is .22 caliber) Thus Big Green had to scramble pressing M14's (7.62 x 51 mm) back into service while instituting the Designated Marksman option.

After action review of the current lone wolf like attacks over here, display a tactical decision for high capacity handguns or M16/M4 (22 caliber) long guns. That would be in keeping with an undersized force attacking for maximum effect.

So it would be prudent to expect Experienced Enemies of America over here to select readily accessible firearms that best fit the tactics they intend to utilize. JMHO.

10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

That is the answer I wanted others to understand, thank you.

11. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Look above your post. I forced to only have one rifle. An anderson AR-15 with a conversion kit in my pack for the .22 rimfire. However no one is ever going to force me to take one rifle anywhere.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. M118LR

With the limited distance of the 22 LR, wouldn't it be a weight savings & make more sense to carry a 22 LR conversion with suppressor for secondary sidearm? Why would you disable your primary rifle, which might be needed at any moment for your defense? At .22 LR effective range, your suppressed secondary sidearm is a better firearms selection. JMO.

13. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Been a hoot watching this thread wander around. Most missed the point I was trying to make, which was basically feeling out what others thought was the ideal rifle to have if there was only an option of having one. I didn't realize so many people had two rifles on them all of the time. Or 10. Personally, my AR-10 ('zactly like BTPost has) would be my choice, but I'm thinking of changing out to a lighter upper. Having humped a rifle and ammo for days, one is enough for me. Unless it's chocolate. So lighten up and pretend you have only one and what you would want it to be. Just the rifle and ammo, maybe a suppressor.

Gator 45/70 and Yard Dart like this.
  14. Yard Dart

[​IMG]

:D

15. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Pretty.

16. M118LR

mac50TAC1.
    It ain't light, but I've humped it and it sure is effective. A suppressor isn't really a requirement.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Yard Dart likes this.
  17. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

It was because of this scenario that I abandoned any thought of living in the city or suburbs and bugging out from there. This scenario even made me abandon any thoughts of Wandering the wasteland like in the movie the Road. Nope . I bugged out already. W e now live at the Bol and have no plans of leaving here. I share a lake with about 30 like minded people who also wont be leaving here. No nuke targets anywhere near , No flood planes, No real fire hazzard, no Heavy density of humans either. Just red necks to left to the right behind me and in front. If forced to have one gun it would be a .22 bolt Action to utilize the tens of thousands of rounds I have for mine. If I were a rouge type , scavenger , raider, plunderer ? It would be my Anderson build AR-15 Carbine . I can carry lots of ammo and kill people to take what they have. I am however not that man. Bugged in I have the use of all my weapons from cross bow to high powered rifles.

18. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

The best way to have both is a to carry as a secondary a very small single shot break action .22 pack rifle. The problem with conversion kits for the 5.56 rifle is the same as with 30 cal. Once you change over to the lighter load you have to reset the optics. Not good. The problem is these small light weight pack rifles is accuracy. I already carry the Ruger SR-22 pistol which is not ACCURATE EITHER. It is hard to hit a squirrel size target past 20 feet. The best would be some single shot pack rifle suppressed that is dime accurate out to 50 yards. I have not found such a critter yet. Ill post some pics of what I have researched.

Home of the Pack-Rifle

Problem with this rifle. No scope mount available and with my bad eye sight can use it. But if there were such a rifle I would own one.

3 Great Takedown Survival Guns - RifleShooter

All three of these are too heavy and bulky but the cricket is .7 accurate and can be scoped. Still at over 2 pounds not what Im looking for.

I really do love this PAK rifle but I need optics because of blended bifocals.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  19. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

This is intriguing if you have a 10/22 takedown rifle: Ruger® Silent-SR®
    Would be very discreet for small critters

upload_2017-5-26_10-6-26.

20. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Yes however the take down 10-22 is too heavy. At least for me. To have a .22 RIFLE for game taking while still being able to carry my AR-15. I would rather carry the Cricket with a small 4 power scope that would still be under 4.6 pounds. However a supressed 10-22 with 25 round mags would be a far better secondary weapon If I ran out of 5.56 for the AR-15. See where this always ends up?

1. AgentPickle
  2. AgentPickle
  3. AgentPickle
  4. AgentPickle
  5. AgentPickle
  6. AgentPickle
  7. HK_User
  8. 3M-TA3
  9. Dunerunner
  10. BenP
  11. Oddcaliber
  12. OldDude49