One Rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Tempstar, Mar 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I know guys who have been hit by .22 and not known it til much later.

Be sure and check out bundle bows as well, and para SUCKS as a bowstring, fyi.

2. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

There can be only one. To quote another movie. Choose Wisely. To quote another.

3. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

It was a shot from the side. Same Angle I killed her with at 10 yards with my crossbow. Same angle I kill almost every deer from and I have killed hundreds. It always turns into a gun fight when ever these threads come up. One rifle, one gun , etc. etc. The only purpose of these type threads , the only real value to these type threads is the debate over caliber, weight, how many can you carry etc. etc. etc. etc. The U.S. military deemed that the 5.56 was going to be the main rifle carried by most of our troops. Why? high velocity, accurate and the ammo is light . Means you can carry a lot of them. I own two. But my .22 will be far more valuable in a post P.A.W. type world. From deer to small birds, rodents, cats dogs, just about everything in my A.O. Im not in the bug out crowd. I have them all and will use them all. Im certainly not going to waste good center fire ammo on game like deer. I have see the pvc and field expedient bows. Now there is a real joke. Try and find an actual hunt on film where a deer is killed using a field expedient weapon. No thanks , Ill take my .22 and put it against any other weapon for harvesting small game . I head shoot Chipmunks for practice here at ranges out to 30 yards. Try that with a home made stick bow. Shoot a squirrel with a .308 or even a .223 . LET ME KNOW WHAT IS LEFT. Shotguns , big bore rifles, and small calibers like the .17 and the .22 all have their place in my arsenal. Nope there cant be just one. In my house there are many and we use them all.

The question of what gun is best is best answered by where you are.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2017
  4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

It would be a better statement to say that a politician decided that we would carry the m16...

Yard Dart and M118LR like this.
  5. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

And the round that it was chambered for.

AxesAreBetter likes this.
  6. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

You can also scavenge other firearms. Which is why here in Michigan we have at least one 30-06, one 30-30 , 5.56 /.223 and both gauges in Shotguns. But the bulk of the work here will fall on the .22 long rifle , CCI cb shorts , and quiets . I am counting on more shooting game than combat scenarios. But we have a lot of combat weapons as well. And bows and cross bows axes, Knives, And host of other things we wont talk about. :)

There were also combo guns made in .223 under .22 long rifle. But I would if I was a bug out guy carry an ar-15 with 240 rounds in magazines and several boxes of extra ammo. Then that little fold up .22 pak rifle with a small scope and several hundred rounds for it. Like I said I wont settle for just one EVER.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2017
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I would like to point out that this thread does have some merit, in that some of our younger Monkeys are not financially setup to own more than ONE Rifle, yet.... As a young Married Man, I had just two Rifles... My Winchester M-69A, which was my Birthday Present from my folks when I turned 12, and my Winchester M1894 SaddleRing Carbine, in 30-30 Winchester, which I bought NEW, when I went bush, in the North Cascades, in '70.... It wasn't practical to carry BOTH, so I left the M-69A with my folks, and didn't pick it up again until I returned to civilization in '72... The M-1894 was the perfect Weapon, for my sojourn, as it was light, short, had enough Power for anything I might encounter, and Ammo could be had at every Country Store in the area.... When I married in '73 this was ALL I could afford, and I didn't have discretionary Funds to even by much Ammo, let alone shoot a lot... So discussions on what criteria makes for a One Rifle Possession, certainly has merit around the Monkey Forums...

Gator 45/70, Tempstar, oldawg and 4 others like this.
  8. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Having common calibers is very important to me. Just about every house in this state has a deer rifle. Most are 30-30 or 30-06. Sure there .308, 7mm, and a lot of odd calibers like the 6.8, 6.5, And quite a few 7.62 by 39 around. THERE ARE ALSO A LOT OF 20 And 12 gauge shotguns in Michigan. I would have to say also that the AR-15 has a large following here. Every man in our Militia team has the same model ar-15 (Anderson builds). However I would bet THE 30-30 would be the most likely find and the most likely rifle used to attack us here. All around us is dense forested hilly timber with streams, rivers and lakes all jumbled up into one big tangle. The road is where anyone would come at us from unless they knew exactly where we were. It really would take a very organized and large force to even get close to the homes here. They would pay a terrible price in lives lost if they try. Bugged in? you have resupply, food, help, shelter, water, and you are master of your terrain. You know every trail, every tree, every trap. You know where the ambushes are, the cover and fake cover. The Russians and the Germans ww2. Pickets charge civil war. And so on. People dug in defending their homes are no one to mess with.

And as BT POST has stated, if you can only afford one gun? make it something you are good with, trust and has ammo you can count on.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2017
  9. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

lost all mine in canoeing accident.... <sigh>

10. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I wouldn't bother with the stones unless you like shrapnel. Do any reenacting?

11. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I, uh, sell them for a living...hit me up if you want a historical perspective on shooting them/tips and tricks. I only know a few, but they are good ones.

12. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I might could sell you a finished one for that price. Haha.

13. BTPost

I built a Hawken .50 CapLock, from a Kit that was a Christmas Present from AlaskaChick, years ago... It had a Custom Barrel, 4" longer that the Kit Barrel... The Barrel was raw Steel, and unfinished... The Stock was Roughed in, with the Lock Works fitted, but otherwise unfinished... Being a long Tim e Shooter, but Metal & Wood Working, were NOT, and still are NOT, my thing... but I wanted to finish this as if it was done by a Craftsman... In order to finish the Barrel, I had to finish the surfaces with fine Grit Paper & finally fine steel wool... Then in order to "Brown" the Barrel it needed to be heated to about 250F... The only place in our small House, that was close to be able to do the job was the Kitchen Stove's Oven, but I could only do 1/2 the Barrel at a time... Our children were all under 10 years old, and watch the whole process, with wide eyes... They still talk about it to this day... next. was the Stock... Hours of sanding with finer and finer sandpaper, then ToungeOil, and finally a light coat of Clear Laqure... Polish the Brass Pieces, and assemble.. It turned out much better than I ever could hope for...

oldawg and Mountainman like this.
  14. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I purchased a Marlin 981-t bolt action .22 the last year before they were bought out by Remington. It was the best buy for under 200 BUCKS I ever made. I topped it with a Redfield Revolution 2 BY 7 BY 40 WITH VARMINT cross hairs . I have it dialed in dead nuts at 20 yards and can shoot the center out of dimes with it. It take 10 minutes to go from CCI CB SHORTS to re sight it for long rifle. CB shorts are very quiet , like a pellet gun. All small game like rabbits , squirrels , birds, and even head shots on Geese fall to this little round. 710 feet per second 29 grain bullet. A couple clicks on the scope and Im shooting long rifle rounds and can take any small game up to deer. The rifle is very accurate out to 125 yards and dials in nice at 100. Cant beat it for the money. I have had the Glenfield model 60, the Ruger 10-22 and none of them match up. wE STILL HAVE AN OLD REMINGTON NYLON. Its pretty reliable but again not as accurate. My father in law bought the Remington version of this rifle and its not as accurate but a little better than the old Ruger 10-22 I had. I have no experience with the Henry AR-7 but it was the standard issue for para resuce troops for a long time.

15. BTPost

I inherited my Old Man's Winchester Model 52 Pre A, when they moved out of the Big House to an Apartment, more than a few Decades ago.... He bought it when I was 12 years old, so he could Shoot, with ME, while I was taking the NRA Marksmanship Course, and the State Hunter Safety Course, that were REQUIRED by my Parents, before I would be allowed to posses the Ammunition for my Winchester M-69A Rifle, I got on my 12th Birthday.... Now if ever a .22 was a "Tack Driver" that weapon is one... It easily outshoots My capabilities.... Especially when I mount the Unitril 24X Optics on the weapons Sight Blocks.... I don't pull it out of the Gun Locker, much these days, but it is a BLAST to Shoot, when up against the modern .22's coming out of the Factories these days... 3Leaf Clovers at 250Ft, are the Norm....

16. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

The entire bug Idea is a no go for me but if I had to the lightest compliment of arms and the most ammo I could carry would be the way I would go. Ar-15 for defense and a very small light weight but accurate .22 for food gathering plus a side arm.

17. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I bought a used Browning A-Bolt .22 in the late 80's for $125. It would be the last rifle I would sell, pity they only made them a couple of years. Dead bang stupid accurate, the hole at 25 yards is covered by the cross hairs of my Leupold 4x scope so I have to move the rifle slightly to see it.

I also love those CB .22's. Almost non existent recoil and about as loud a clap of the hands. Takes care of urban pests nicely without raising attention and my favorite round (and rifle) for training others.

Brokor likes this.
  18. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Bad situation man. You need a DESTINATION. If you going to run from city you need a place to go. A friend, relative, or a lonely piece of federal land with a buried cache near like a spring or small creek that is cold and clean. We bugged out in 2008 ahead of what we thought was the end. We were wrong but glad we live here now. House on a small private lake surrounded by thousands of acres of federal forests. We share it with 7 families and another house is being built as I type. All but one is part of our group and they will run TO THE CITY , to the government, to the fema with their hands out. The rest of us will not. We have worked on our plan for the last 4 years really hard. Nothing like a hotbed of survivalists on a friday night cook out and party ha ha ha . But if you have to bug out you need to practice it now. Do the walk or bike or even by car . HOW MUCH can you carry? do you have the gear to load what you need out? I have seen so many guys have a plan then try and carry it and end up cutting way down on supplies to carry more fire power or cut way back on fire power to carry more food and water etc. etc. Nothing easy about it. Which is why Im glad we moved when we did. My wife can not walk so to leave here it is by car, quad, jeep or truck. She can also ride a horse or a mountain bike.

19. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

.....has the quality of the Henry Rifles improved over the Charter Arms made version ? I ask as between three friends and I we owned 4x of the Charter Arms versions back in the 80s and they were simply the greatest heaps of unreliable crap I have ever encountered. I do not believe I ever emptied an entire 7 round magazine without a stoppage from mine before the trigger mechanism self destructed. One other went out the same way and everyone else ditched them asap. I believe the Armalite made version worked so the design has merit, just have not heard anything about the Henry version. The AR7 is a great concept !!!! No question at all.

AxesAreBetter likes this.
  20. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I've run a couple thousand rounds through a henry back in the mid-2000's. I like it, sold it to make bills in college, looking hard at getting another one at some point. Looking at a lot of guns, but one is on my list.

1. AgentPickle
  2. AgentPickle
  3. AgentPickle
  4. AgentPickle
  5. AgentPickle
  6. AgentPickle
  7. HK_User
  8. 3M-TA3
  9. Dunerunner
  10. BenP
  11. Oddcaliber
  12. OldDude49