One Second After vs Lights Out by Halffast

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by tacmotusn, Aug 27, 2009.

1. UrbanFool

UrbanFool The Village Idiot

Oh man, I remember when Dave wrote the first chapter of Lights Out and we all had to hold our breath for the next chapter and then the next.

OSA read more for a small government emergency program rather than the average Joe. And I would have eaten my shoes before I ate my dog. I realize that there's the possibility that things may come to that, but maybe people can trade dogs. I could eat someone else's dog --just not my own.

I'm in the middle of Lucifer's Hammer... again.

2. mattpalm

mattpalm Monkey+

Any suggestions of other good books like OSA and LO? They do make you think and Wargame what it could be like. If anyone has good book recomendations like OSA and LO it would be appretiated. Thanks. How is Lucifer's Hammer?

3. UrbanFool

4. UrbanFool

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

UC is by John Ross. Someone posted it here somewhere.

I'm also awaiting an update from Halffast...

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

*cough*

7. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Judging from his comments on price, the other guy posting a PDF of Unintended Consequences and the fact that UC has a couple of rapes , I think it has to be UC...

8. ChrisNuttall

ChrisNuttall Monkey+++

I've read everything mentioned here, apart from Lights Out.

Patriots is a good survival textbook, but as a novel it is...rather bad.

I liked One Second After, though I agree with most of the comments in this thread.

Chris

9. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

You need to read Lights Out...

10. tsherry

tsherry Monkey+++

And for some shameless self promotion, you need to read Deep Winter, Shatter and Remnant. Zap me a PM or email for free PDF's. They're all in print, too, but you can see if you like them for free....

(Advertising voice off)

Liked Lights Out when I first read it, but it's been awhile since then and I need to re-read it. I'm sure it still holds up. OSA left me cold, and I never finished it. There's a lot of good survival fiction out there, a surprising amount of it on this board.

Tom S.

11. ChrisNuttall

ChrisNuttall Monkey+++

Where do I get a copy?

Chris

12. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

I can upload it...if allowed, but since it was openly distributed on the web...

13. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

14. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

OK...I didn't know it was pulled...it was free before...

15. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

I'm sure we already have a list somewhere of recommended books in this genre, which would of course include all of these listed books along with some others such as "Enemies, Foreign and Domestic", "Atlas Shrugged", etc.

How about TV and movies, too? Jeremiah was on cable I guess, I never even knew about it when it was on, but we recently watched the whole two seasons and I think everybody here would enjoy it. Also Jericho and Firefly. The Day After, Amerika...

16. hedger

hedger Monkey+

Alas, Babylon

I just finished Alas, Babylon, yesterday. I would not give it my top rating but it was good.

Melbo had it in a suggested reading list and I got started on it. Alas, Babylon appears to be the progenitor of SHTF/TEOTWAWKI books.

Earlier, I had read One Second After; what an impact!

I'm looking forward to covering more of the books that were on that list of Melbo's.

17. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

I've been looking for a used copy of Alas, Babylon at our used book stores here. It doesn't come in very often... Must be the hoarders reading it. [slow]

Just reread Lucifer's Hammer last week. Reread The Andromeda Strain last night. Such a fast read I should probably read it once a year! The Road is like that too. An afternoon's diversion with a few very important lessons.

I am really looking forward to reading LO in its published form! It's been over a year since I read it. OSA was good but I liked the tone of LO better. After I read LO I'll reread OSA again.

Thoroughly enjoyed Tom's Deep Winter trilogy and I highly recommend it. Excellent character development. People most of us here on the monkey would really like. Excellent story too! Well written.

Byte

18. Tired Old Man

Tired Old Man Monkey+

Lights Out

Read it as it was written. Outstanding story and the premise to give the two main characters the money up front was clever. Haven't read OSA and probably won't. Liked Pax Americana. There's a lot of fair to outstanding patriot fiction on the various boards. Read two of Tom Sherry's stories, but missed the last. Didn't care for Lucifer's Hammer.

19. Siskiyoumom

Siskiyoumom Monkey+

I did not find OSA to be the great read of the year for me.

Maybe, because I have read paw fiction for many years and have a better understanding of the hard work other authors have put in their work to discuss and guide folks on how to wake up to reality quickly and how to address the needs of their family in a concrete and prompt manner.

I see OSA as a good first read for folks who need to be moved out of their comfort zone. I think that there are practical guide books that are a good investment for folks wanting skills and mindset guidance on facing any kind of disaster, be it man made or environmental.

It is interesting to note how the main stream media has jumped on the bandwagon of preparedness and end time/2012 drama, much like the years before y2k.

Will this be another fad or will folks effect long standing changes in their family for food and financial security?

Lights Out was one of the first preparedness fiction stories I read years ago.
    And I am glad to see that it is now out in print.
    May the sales go well and education of the ill prepared continue on.

20. Intoodeep

Intoodeep Monkey+

Just finished Lights Out and Patriots, I enjoyed them both. Now It's on to UC and OSA both on order.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7