One Second After vs Lights Out by Halffast

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by tacmotusn, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Colt_Cowboy

Colt_Cowboy Monkey+

OSA hit my heart strings as well. Lights Out didn't have those emotional threads. I would recommend them both.

2. Neutron

Neutron Monkey+

One Second After was sad in a few places. I can relate as my wife has diabetes and I would worry big if we couldn't find insulin for her.

I'm from Texas so Lights Out hit close to home for me.

3. rle737ng

rle737ng Monkey+++

I read OSA when it came out. I just read the Kindle version of LO. I felt that LO was somwhat optimistic by assuming several weeks of fairly stable food deliveries before complete collapse. This benefited the characters greatly. I don't believe our infrastructure would remain intact that long.

4. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

A little support for Tom's "self-promotion" here...I read them all free the first time and then bought them...well worth it. Now I am waiting anxiously and checking daily for new chapters of his companion work, Distance ( Deep Winter: Distance, Chapter 1 ).

OSA I liked mostly as a way to introduce my wife to "prepper fiction"...she could not get into Patriots, for example because it was too much a technical treatise...but OSA got her interested and she read Tom's books and is now reading LO...

5. Catullus

Catullus Monkey+++

Reading LO now. However, I think I like OSA better.

I agree with earlier comment about this guys not being better stocked with daughter's medicine. I can assure you that if my daughter had Type 1, I would be backed up for a looong time.

6. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

i have read one second after and found a few flaws with the book as a border line diabetic and my sugar level can go high or low at times and been worry about the controling the problem after a event or a disaster

i have learned to stock up on the blood testing gear i need along with stocking up on the spendla sugar replacement or the fake sugar i use in my cooking or sweeting of drinks or pies or cakes dishs

plus watching the basic food intake of the food that have high in sugar or some foods that are high in carbs and those are the ones i have to watch my intake of them ..

as the book goes i find it was a good read and as a person who is a border line diabetic who has this type of problem i could not understand as a father of child who had it ..how you can not see in haveing at least a year supply bult up for the child to survive on after a event now on the other hand i know that as a diabetic i need to stock up on supplies to last me a along time for just in case type supplies for the body to test and know what my blood sugar level is doing at all times.

7. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Hank what did you find wrong? I'm confused, because the girl in the book was a type I diabetic. Type I does NOT produce insulin, thus the need for the shots. Insulin does not store for very long, and needs to be kept in stable temps.

Type II, which is what you are border line with, does produce insulin but you can help by diet and exercise to keep it under control.

Type 1 Diabetes Type 2 Diabetes

It's been a while since I read the book, IIRC, they had plenty of testing equipment, just no insulin.

I too am borderline diabetic, Type II, and I am working on loosing weight and watching my diet to keep it under control. The best thing for you and I, as borderline, is to watch what we eat and exercise.

8. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

iam type two if i do watch what i eat in the way of food and sugars intake for the day and i basic stay control it through basic walking everywhere i go around the area where i live and not driveing inless it for long distance driveing ..

i cut out most of the sugars in my life and use fake sugar replacements and sweets are gone inless there sugar free type ..

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7