One year supply of food . . . for $225????

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Motomom34, Dec 6, 2016.

1. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I don't think I've had a problem with tomato paste past the expiration dates(as I understand, expiration dates are a legal thing to protect company from lawsuit, not sure there is a scientific basis for it). Of course, I've seldom kept tomato paste that long...have a recipe from Rodale's Stocking Up series on making my own that I want to try one day. Actually, the only can of tomato product I ever had a problem with, it was BEFORE the expiration date. Went in the burn barrel. That's where any inedible food goes, so it can be burnt and not hurt anyone.

2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Unless those grains are stored in air tight packaging it won't last a year.
    I store foods I eat and eat the foods I store.
    I buy chili regularly and other canned meats and vegetables and fruits , more importantly learning to maintain a garden and keeping fish and chickens.
    If you buy something in the store normally , make it a point to buy some for the pantry regardless of what it is and learn to cycle it ,always increasing the pantries volume with foods you regularly eat.
    Rice and beans are not most peoples diet unless your making a concerted effort to make it so.
    My rice and beans are sealed in portion bags with 02 absorbers then in larger bags and then in 5 gallon buckets.
    I was under the false illusion that the bucket would stop the mice from getting in WRONG. Never assume.
    I remember the old 5 gallon paint buckets , I wish I had those.

3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Put the wheat on a damp paper towel and cover with another damp paper towel. 'tis too easy to drown wheat. Wheat grass is a good green sprout - well worth the effort.

UncleMorgan likes this.
  4. Texas Monkey

Texas Monkey Monkey++

Remember, some people have very little extra money for food, this is a great start so you can live and work post fan, what is not mentioned is this is not the end point, you would keep adding to your stock with the other foods that are more palatable,

Gafarmboy, UncleMorgan and chelloveck like this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That messes with my mind. How can sprouting a seed increase the nutritional value? I don't see where there is anything added by simply wetting the seeds.

UncleMorgan likes this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

This was a great basic post. The point being its not necesarrily expensive to start prepping. For $225 anyone can get started and then add the 'extras' (like flavor) as you go.

Most sensible people are on a budget and this represents starting at the basics and then adding as you go. So for all you people who are criticaly of this post and its 'boring ass' variety. (I started like this, somethin similar, wheat, rice, powdered milk, oil) Its a starter kit... so instead of just being critical and only noting what is 'wrong' with this as a basic starter kit. Why not post what you would do as a starter.... and/or what would you add say 3 months from now or 6 months from now.

Again this is a great post for a starter kit. So what would you add to make it more interesting? or what would you have done differently for $225 for a year's supply of food. Starvation has its own flavor built in. You would know that if you had ever been hungry.

thank you @BTPost for your post on peanut butter and honey [biggrouphug]

7. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

It's more a matter of making the ntrition more available. 300% may not be a hard scientific statistic--it may only apply to the increased Vitamin C in some sprouts. Mung beans, I think.

However, here's a pretty good article on subject.
    Sprout Guide: How to sprout grains, nuts and beans - Dr. Axe

DKR likes this.
  8. DKR

Affordable One-Year Emergency Food Supply by Robert Wayne Atkins, P.E. - Grandpappy
    This is a list for what the author thinks is a one years supply.
    Found an interesting site today, which listed a suggested 30 day food supply for one person. Since the issue of "what to buy/store" comes up frequently, I thought this would be helpful.

18 ounce box oatmeal*
    1 pound rice*
    20 ounces pasta*
    5 pounds flour*
    1 pound popcorn*

34 (15 ounce) cans vegetables

26 (15 ounce) cans fruit

2 pounds Velveeta
    4 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk*
    3.2 pounds powdered milk (powder to make 4 gallons)*

1 jar (18 ounces) peanut butter*
    4 (6 ounce) cans tuna
    4 (5 ounce) cans chicken
    4 (5 ounce) cans ham
    8 (15 ounce) cans cooked dry beans*

oil*
    shortening*
    nuts
    sugar*
    syrup*
    jam*
    molasses*
    salt*
    *also considered a “basic” food storage food
    NOTE: For a 2400 calorie diet, add 1 more box of oatmeal, 1 pound of rice, 40 ounces of pasta, 1 pound of popcorn, 17 cans of vegetables, 8 cans of fruit, 1 can of chicken, 1 can of ham and 5 cans of cooked dry beans.

I'm still scratching my head over the phrase "cans of cooked dry beans" (shrug) call it canned beans. I keep black, navy, rad and BBQ (Ranch) beans in rotation. We eat a lot of beans and rice here....

The popcorn is not a typo. Popcorn = breakfast food. from the folks at the Popcorn Board. Trust me, I absolutely know popcorn beats the living *$()@)%& out of cold pizza and stale, flat beer for starting the day.... Not that I've done that of late.

Properly packaged, low-moisture foods stored at room temperature or cooler (24°C/75°F or lower) remain nutritious and edible much longer than previously thought, according to findings of recent scientific studies. Estimated shelf life for many products has increased to 30 years or more (see chart below for new estimates of shelf life).

Previous estimates of longevity were based on "best-if-used-by" recommendations and experience. Though not studied, sugar, salt, baking soda (essential for soaking beans), and vitamin C in tablet form also store well long-term. Some basic foods do need more frequent rotation, such as vegetable oil every 1 to 2 years.

While there is a decline in nutritional quality and taste over time, depending on the original quality of food and how it was processed, packaged, and stored, the studies show that even after being stored long-term, the food will help sustain life in an emergency. I guess many would argue over the "nutrition".

Food New "Life-Sustaining" Shelf-Life Estimates (in Years)
    Wheat 30+
    White rice 30+
    Corn 30+
    Sugar 30+
    Pinto beans 30
    Rolled oats 30
    Pasta 30
    Potato flakes 30
    Apple slices 30
    Non-fat powdered milk 20
    Dehydrated carrots 20

The following suggested amounts are for one adult.
    Quantity for One Month Recommended Products Long-Term Storage Life
    11.5 kg./ 25 lbs Wheat, white rice, corn, and other grains 30+ years
    2.5 kg. / 5 lbs Dry beans 30+ years

You may also want to add other items to your longer-term storage such as sugar, nonfat dry milk, salt, baking soda, and cooking oil. To meet nutritional needs, also store foods containing vitamin C and other essential nutrients.

NOT included in all of this is water, soap, cooking fuel and so on.

chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  9. DKR

Planning is key to thrift in food storage. I've posted this before, but for any new folks...

Having a plan (menu) is a key item for buying smart for storage. Menu planning is also a real PITA for most folks, a chore at best.
    So, find a site that has done the menu planning already - or subscribe to a service (yes, you can)

What would such a menu look like? Say, for 90 days.

90 BREAKFAST MENUS
    39x Oatmeal, raisins, dry milk, water
    9x Pancake from mix, Tang
    24x Cold cereal, powdered milk, water
    6x Wheat waffles, syrup, powdered, milk
    3x Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins, water
    3x Applesauce Spice Muffins, water
    6x Muffins from mix, water

90 LUNCH MENUS
    15x PB & J sandwich, fruit or veg, Tang
    15x PB & Honey sandwich, fruit or veg, drink box
    21x Tuna sandwich, baked beans, water
    6x Ramen soup, fruit or veg, water
    6x Macaroni & cheese, fruit or veg, V8 juice
    6x Soup, crackers, dried fruit, water
    6x Canned Pasta, banana chips, water
    6x Chili w/beans, crackers, water
    6x Canned Stew, crackers, water
    3x Chicken salad sandwich, fruit or veg, water

90 DINNER MENUS
    6x Clam Chowder 19 oz., bread/butter
    6x Easy Chicken Stew, bread/butter
    6x Vegetable Soup 19 oz., bread/butter
    6x Chicken, Vegetable, Pasta Soup 19 oz., saltine crackers
    6x Spaghetti w/homemade sauce, vegetable, milk
    3x Spaghetti w/jar sauce, vegetable, water
    6x Quick Beef Chili w/corn *73 Biscuits
    3x Pineapple Chicken *92, rice
    3x Italian Pasta Salad *67, Biscuits
    3x Chicken & Rice Casserole, Biscuits
    3x Tuna w/ Egg Noodles, canned corn, milk
    3x Chicken w/ Egg Noodles, canned corn, milk
    3x Chicken a la King *94, rice, canned green beans
    3x Creamy Chicken and green beans *160, mashed potatoes
    3x Tuna, Noodles and peas, canned pears
    3x Teriyaki Pineapple Beef, rice w/broth
    3x Bisquick Vegetable pot pie, canned peaches, milk
    3x Barbecue Beef Casserole *160, canned peaches
    3x BBQ chicken on hamburger buns, canned peaches milk
    3x Sloppy Joe's with canned meat on hamburger buns, applesauce
    3x Enchilada Casserole w/corn, canned peaches
    3x Beef Nacho Casserole, Spanish rice *98
    3x Meat and gravy on mashed potatoes *88, canned green beans, milk

90 SNACK MENUS
    18x Food bar
    3x Pretzels
    6x Fruit snack
    6x Graham crackers
    6x M & M's
    6x Hot cocoa drink(has milk)
    3x Corn Chips, salsa jar
    3x Chips w/refried beans & homemade salsa
    12x Homemade popcorn
    3x Simple Scones
    3x Caramel Popcorn *114
    3x Cake (from mix) w/frosting
    3x Brownies (from mix)
    3x Snicker doodles *110
    3x Chocolate Chip Cookies
    3x Chewy Oatmeal Cookies *109
    3x Apple Crisp w/shelf whip topping
    3x Light and Easy Fruit Cobbler*100

Menu source -(http://preparedldsfamily.blogspot.com/2 ... ideas.html)
    Note - * Indicates a recipe in "Emergency Food Storage in a Nutshell" by Leslie Probert and the number indicates what page it is on.
    Book editors blog - (http://www.emergencyfoodstorageinanutsh ... gspot.com/)
    (Book Source - http://www.byubookstore.com/ePOS/form=r ... design=439) shop for the book, prices vary wildly.

We have non-instant, non fat dry milk in our LTS, but for use on cereal.oatmeal we use UHT milk. I can use this menu as a basis to build my own menu and then use that list to drive a buying list.

I do this this for large groups (100+ people) so you really can learn to make the lists. All it takes is time.
    Another track, less effort perhaps, is to log everything you eat for a month or two. Use that to ID favorite meals and see if the ingredients are suitable for storage (one year shelf life) - then add those to your storage shelf. Sadly, take out pizza is a poor choice of LTS....

Recently, I've start to use the 'Taste of India" retort pouches - same as canned food to me -- for good tasting and easy, low energy for cooking style meals. While we do have a goodly amounts of dry beans and rice - and SPAM! (and other things), I'm beginning to take a very hard look at the 'energy footprint' of our menu choices.

Good luck, it is worth the time to work at this. It will save you money (reduced take away food) and save on shopping time.

Ganado, T. Riley and 3cyl like this.
  10. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It's not quite just simply wetting the seeds......wetting the seeds just starts the germination process, which starts the conversion of proteins, carbohydrates and sugars already stored in the seed, into cell growth of different kinds....add CO2 and sunlight, and photosynthesis starts the engine of plant growth which produces a whole range of nutritional plant goodies for us omnivores to take advantage of. (drawing on basic HS science lessons from some 50 years ago here)

It all seems miraculous, but agronomists and botanists have worked many of the mysteries out. Science and Technology!

(Although not a botanist, her discoveries have none the less contributed to the field of botany)

The Science of Sprout Nutrition

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    duane and Ganado like this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Sprouting does alot to release nutrients in the seeds.... you have to do your homework and then you will be convinced.

I'm still struggling with eating sprouts all the time. I use them more as a condiment currently (except for garbanzo beans or white beans which can be ground into a pate or hummus) When you eat sprouted food you eat cold food, this is a problem for me in the winter. (if you heat sprouted food above 118 degrees you kill the beneficial bacteria and many of the nutrients). I'm still exploring this whole sprouting and fermenting way of cooking.

chelloveck likes this.
  12. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I've eaten "viking hardtack", which are "wafer/cracker/biscuits" made from sprouted grain. Much better than hardtack, it is edible without further processing (kinda reminds me of eating nerds candy), and the shelf life is phenomenal.

Ganado likes this.
  13. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

got a link to the "Viking hardtack"? have only found articles using more traditional in-sprouted grain / flour recipes for hardtack. The method sounds interesting if replicable with ordinary kitchen tools and appliances.

AxesAreBetter likes this.
  14. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Let me find and ask him...just sent him a message. I got to try some made by a Viking reenactor. I'll post it up if he responds.

They do make it themselves in their pantry, I do know that.

15. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Update: It has been released as part of Dave Canterbury's newest book in the Recipe section under Oatcakes...we are going to try and see if we can get the recipe for free to post up on here later tonight!

chelloveck likes this.
  16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yes, we are off topic a bit --

My cousin is a biochemist, used to teach the subject at KsState. She agrees with me, that unless something besides water is added to the seeds, there is no more nutrient value in them sprouted than when dry. There just plain ain't no magic involved, if it isn't there the cosmos is NOT going to place it there. Eating them, sprouted or not, the nutrients are released in the digestive system. (Granted, sprouts taste WAY better if doused with French Onion dressing.) If you have some obvious and ready references that you used when you did YOUR homework, please cite them.

It really is a cop out and very unhelpful (not to mention un-monkey like) to tell someone to do the research when the sources are obvious to you. There just might be others that have doubts and are interested in where the information originates. I still think in terms of GIGO.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  17. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Just wondering - does the green leaves of the sprout add any additional nutrient beyond the bean itself? I eat a nutritious diet without any thought so I never considered sprouted vs unsprouted.

18. avagdu

avagdu Monkey++

Anybody have suggestions for paleo food storage? That would be very interesting..

19. DKR

[​IMG]
    A bit more work than setting a can on the shelf... (pygmy goat = Afghanistan C rats)

chelloveck and avagdu like this.
  20. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I mean. Cold Smoking meat is the way to go.

1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. RJFab
  8. Motomom34
  9. duane
  10. TnAndy
  11. Ganado
  12. john316
  13. DKR
  14. DKR
  15. apache235
  16. Ganado
  17. alaskachick
  18. Motomom34