Online Security Check

Discussion in 'Technical' started by melbo, Sep 25, 2005.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Run this and see how Open you may be to attacks
    http://security.symantec.com

My sys show "Stealthed" on all ports. It does show that it allows a "Ping". I took care of this via the Router. My network router is a linksys wireless. You can get into it by typing 192.168.1.1 in a browser window. Enter your User and Pass, If you've never been into it before, leave the user blank and type "admin" into the pass box. This is default

Go to Security/Firewall, (Yes, the router has a hardware firewall) and check the box that looks like what's listed below...

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Melbo helped me a while back to secure my wireless router. Now according to the check I am safe. Thanks Melbo. It is good info! We should all secure our wireless routers.

3. melbo

Reasonably safe that is. Nothing is Absolute on the 'net. And any 14 yr old kid with a fast machine can break into just about anything built

4. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have cable modem..and that ck says I am safe...?

I do run antivirus , a firewall..anti spam..and privacy service..and spybot..

It is pretty accurate?

5. melbo

should be CRC

6. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

What does it mean to "Ping"?

7. melbo

If all your ports are closed, it's not likely that a hacker will even be able see you. But, If they do, a "Ping" can verify your PC. I'm behind a router most of the time so the router can deal with the ping.

A lot like the Cell Phone guy and the "Can you here me now?, Good" That's a Ping

8. melbo

Now, if a firewall isn't set up to Block the pings, It's possible to send these packets to a System, forcing it to respond. It can over time, overwhelm a system and make it shutdown, go offline, etc... Ask Kopf. He used to do this to the Virus emailers he was receiving.

9. melbo

http://searchwinsystems.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid68_gci213455,00.html

THis is why I have 'pinging' denied by my router

10. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Yeah we know who is the pro at that........:lol:

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7