OpenOffice.org Office Suite

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Aptus, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Aptus

Aptus Monkey+++ Founding Member

For anyone looking for a free alternative to Microsoft Office, check out OpenOffice.org. It's completely free since it's open-source software and gives Microsoft Office a run for it's money in my opinion. It will also read Microsoft formats such as .doc, .xls, etc., but has it's own open file extensions as well.

And by far my favorite feature... the ability to convert documents to PDF for free instead of buying some really expensive Adobe products.

Here's the link to the site - http://www.openoffice.org/

The latest version out at the moment is 2.0.1.

2. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

OK...I need to know more about this..The only thing I have on here is what came with the computer

Word perfect.... :rolleyes:

I don't have Office or any Microsoft programs on here other than IE..and changing that to either Netscape or something else...

Anyone else know anything about this?

Thanks Aptus....

3. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

I'll ask around, see who's using this. The question, how compatible will it be with other programs.
    If you don't use any word processor software now, it might be a good chance to try it. What kinda OS are you using, CRC? What are you now using for HTML Editor. Start/Settings/Control Panel/Internet Options/Programs

4. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

It's blank..but WordPad is an option...

and XP....

I don't do much here at home..most of the stuff I need the office for is at work...but would be nice to have it here..

See what you can find out.......

Thanks!

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Open Office looks and functions so closely to Word that you won't notice much different. As far as compatibility: No problems.

It's what ususally ships with Linux Distros and I have used it on Linux a lot.

6. Aptus

Yeah, I was always leery of non-MS software in the past. I actually hate the old version of OpenOffice, but when I tried out the 2.0 beta I was hooked since it's like a MS clone.

7. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Hey nice avatar Aptus

8. Aptus

Thanks. I'm really happy that it came out so clear.

9. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Yeah, that is cool.. Youe like a real member here now!!!!

[beer]

10. Aptus

Haha sounds good to me. [beer]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7