Opinion: Is the NRA devaluing memberships?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by wideym, Jun 15, 2020.

?
  1. No, more members equals more value for my membership

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. Yes, others should pay the same amount or give refunds on membership fees.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Doesn't matter, I gave up on the NRA years ago.

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

Just got the latest NRA magazine in the mailbox today. Front cover had Wayne's mug on half with the other half saying "It's Time to Fight!" When you go to the page 12 it goes over the usual suspects in politics who try restricting or outlawing guns, how great you are if you are an NRA member, how "this is most important election in our lifetime" spiel. It most importantly wants you to either sign up or upgrade your existing membership, stating that they have rolled back dues 25 years to the rates that were in effect in 1995.

Personally, I have given up on the NRA leadership due to it looking like it's the personal piggy bank for Wayne and his cronies. But I paid a discounted rate for life membership due to being a disabled veteran, so I'm not really butt hurt about it. But, I have had three different longtime members complain about paying full price for memberships and new members pay significantly less for the same level.

One Endowment member I complained that it's like paying to joining a private golf club only to have them open it to the public a week later. It may sound elitist, but I kinda understand his point. What do you think?

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70 and duane like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I don't think we have a choice.
    The nra did file lawsuits against all the dumb ass blue states who closed gun shops for the virus hysteria and as far as I know they all opened right back up.

In new mexico the stupid activist lawyer governor said a week ago she ordered the gun shops closed at the beginning of the plandemic, claims she "stood up to the NRA and won". Then laid out some incoherent emotional BS as to why she ordered gunshops closed and kept them closed.
    She must be smoking dope because they have all have been open for but 2 or 3 days during the virus scare.

While the "guns shops were closed" I ordered my M203 receiver and a couple silencers, which had to go through an SOT. Got the 203 as soon as it came in and form oned it and the silencers are in NFA jail in possession of the SOT while the form 4 goes through. All of that would be impossible if the "gun stores were closed".

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  3. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I did the easy pay life membership in the early '90s. Had I not I probably wouldn't have kept up my membership. They do some good, but not as much as I think they are capable of.

4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Not devaluing...desperate for new membership is more like.

It’s all a numbers game...

5. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

When they said ATF should decide if bump stocks should be legal they lost me. Then Trump made his most stupid move and banned them, MORON!!! I will still vote for him but never give into anything to the anti-gun people because you will not get it back.

wideym, Alf60, GOG and 2 others like this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Yeah, NRA chaps my azz with all the unsolicited junk mail....

I'm like take my money,Send the hat and magazine,Use the rest to fight anti-gun laws.

7. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I hadn't kept track of what NRA membership was going for since #1 Son passed the age that I could get him a life membership for $100. (I missed the cutoff age) I've been a life member since before he was born, and he's been a lifer for probably 15 years now. He gets all the junk mail. I get nothing but my American Rifleman magazine. Now that he's married and moved more than five miles away maybe he can stop using me as his mail forwarding service.

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I support as many Pro 2A Organizations as my pocket book will allow....The NRA is one of them. They and the others get an annual contribution even though I am a Life Member.

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I dropped the NRA decades ago after watching the Neil Knox fiasco unfold... I almost went back when Moses was Pres. but he died, and they pulled a few Bonehead moves for Political expedience... So, as far as I am concerened, they can do without my support...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7