Opportunity missed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oth47, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Frog jumping is a competitive pastime in which frogs compete to jump certain distances. Frog jumping contests are held in small communities scattered around the United States, as part of the folk culture.
    Frog jumping was made famous in a short story by Mark Twain, "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County." An event has been held annually in Calaveras County since 1928, with other events held in Indiana, Ohio, Washington, Maine, Missouri, Louisiana, New York, and also in Manitoba, Canada. With 4,000 contestants in 2007, the Calaveras County contest has strict rules regulating the frogs' welfare, including limiting the daily number of a frog's jumps, and mandating the playing of calming music in their enclosures. The endangered California Red-legged Frog may not be entered in the competition. Participants entering the longest jumping frog were to win a $750 prize or $5,000 if their frog breaks the 1986 record of 21 feet, 5¾ inches set by Rosie the Ribeter.
    We could do the international frog-jumping circuit, sort of like rodeo cowboys....

2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm game Big Boy ` I'm anxious to meet your green friend
    frog2.JPG

3. Seacowboys

Do they have arctic frogs way up there in CT?
    Well, I'm not gonna sit around here moping about it, I am gonna enter Opie ina contest! Never too late to chase a dream!

4. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

No but they do wear fur coats

5. Seacowboys

Did you ever read "The Skunk Ladder" by Patrick McManus?

6. RightHand

no but I think I should - may help in the new endeavor

7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Another 'missed opprtunity' for me was when they were just starting that weird and whacky idea of 'sattelite TV'. I had the chance to buy into it for cheap - but I just couldn't raise the cash......

The rest is history...... big bucks being made in that industry.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

When the dish is coated with wet sticky snow, it doesn't work. (I found this out day before yesterday.) You can get back in by inventing a defroster that's easier to use than a ladder and heat gun.
    [monkeyeating]

Missed opportunities? Two that stick out in memory:
    -Sailing a charter yacht from Stonington CT to the Bahamas at the end of the season in New England.
    -A construction job in Indonesia that paid HUGE ($250K US per annum at the time) but was 45 minutes by chopper from the barber shop (and everything else.)
    -

Seawolf1090 likes this.
  9. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

Looks Like I might have another opportunity knocking... the State of Kansas owes me $20,000 in back wages... Think I'll be suing for a good deal more than that

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7