OPSec Security Issue for iPhones and iPads

Discussion in 'Technical' started by BTPost, Apr 20, 2011.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

This was JUST published today in the UK Guardian, and if you HAVE one of these devices, you need to understand what this is about, and and it's implications, for you as a USER. I suspect that Apple will have a "FIX" or change in firmware, SOON, due to the adverse PR, that this will generate. I will be watching and will update the thread as information becomes available. You have been WARNED, NOW, and it is up to you to decide how this could, and may, be an issue in your OPSec Policies. ..... YMMV....

Attached Files:

2. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Excellent find, BTP. Good thing I never bought into the iHype.

Brokor likes this.
  3. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

i have a apple ipad and i bought it without the socalled 3G feature because of beening able to be tracked by the 3g ..

Most of the time my iphone is turned off and only is on when i need to use

4. BTPost

My new iPad2 isn't here yet, but will be coming next week. I have no problems with this particular ISSUE, NOW because I know about it, and "I" can deal with the files myself. I published the information so that others will understand, the ISSUE, and can decide for themselves IF, When, and HOW they want to deal with the ISSUE, for themselves. It is the Information, that I wanted to get out to my Monkey Friends, not so much to get them to readjust their Tinfoil Hats.... That decision is on a Individual basis, and you have to have the Information FIRST, to make intelligent choices.

hank2222 and Falcon15 like this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

One more reason I'm a throwback. Too much uncertainty about how those things are supposed to (as opposed to how they really) work.

6. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

On the ipad a file that has the complete survival supply file that has a complete list of every type of supply items inside the cabin in a a to z file format that i made on the computer ..

The app is locked by a secured code that only i know

7. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Uh....what's an ipad?
    LOL!

8. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Its what an iGal uses at her "time" of the month.

Brokor, hank2222 and ghrit like this.
  9. BTPost

Attached Files:

10. BTPost

OPSec Fix for iOS 4.x Released and tested....

Well, my latest present to myself arrived yesterday..... Yea, I bought an iPad2, and it is WAY COOL..... I spent the day getting it charged, setup and loaded the OPSec Firmware Fix, that the OEM released last week, and then tested it, here, where I run the wifi Hotspots and we only have One CellSite, in range. The fix operates as documented, and the imbedded file is now encrypted, and is NOT passed to the connected PC. Oh, Yea, I am writing this on my iPad, sitting in the easy chair, in the front room. Again, WAY COOL..... Next big purchase, is my DMPS 308 with the 24" Chrome lined Stainless Barrel...

11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Slaves.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7