Optics What you Runnin?

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Rocky Road Lerp, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Rocky Road Lerp

Rocky Road Lerp Monkey+++

Hey, I commented on an old gear review this morning and it got me to thinking. The Acog is on its way out in the military with Sig getting a new contract with their LPVO. I've personally been running one with back up iron sights for the last two years without changing a battery yet. I know people love their Eotechs and other variables, without violating opsec, let's see what you guys think and are running on your rigs and tell me why I should or shouldn't go back to Trijicon. I have my reasons, but I'd love an outside opinion.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Old School ACOG guy here, and Nope, I ain't givin it up, it flat out works, and is pretty much bomb proof! No batteries, not problem!
    I also run an ART-II M-1200 on my DMR, again, Old school, but it's flat out works, is scary accurate and lightning fast for follow ups!
    Never had much use for battery powered optics, especially when the battery is the ONLY source of aim, so even with the NXS and the ART-II having lit reticles, nether requires a battery to run, day or night! There are advantages to some old tech, things were pretty reliable back when they were new, they are well proven, and now days, a lot less expensive!

Elessar, Oddcaliber and duane like this.
  3. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I need to explore these new gadgets. I'm still happy with 80 and 90 year old optics. J.W Fecker and Unertl had it all pretty much figured out back then. My newer 24X Bausch and Lomb has so many adjustments it's like trying to set up a 35mm camera. Batteries? Tritium night sights will still be glowing in 50 years with zero maintenance and no risk of corrosion.

I've seen every imaginable new sighting device on the range in the last sixteen years. These young Marines spend a fortune on this stuff and most still can't hit the target at 50 yards. I'll have to take a bit more interest.

oldawg, Oddcaliber, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  4. Rocky Road Lerp

My scope has an etched reticle, but I've noticed that my eye relief is way more forgiving than the Trijicon. Yes, batteries were a consideration, but I hardly need them,, and can also dial out. Not being a fixed sight gives me the best of both worlds when considering the purposes I might need it for. JMHO. I love the ACOG, even if I have to tape most of it up.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  5. duane

duane Monkey+++

Stick to the old stuff, some of new high tech could fail, batteries, EMP, etc, and make your very expensive and very well designed rifle a very inefficient club. Night and thermal sights are either out of my budget if good, or require batteries etc that seem to fail with age, temp, etc. As an 80 + male with a short budget and no logistical tail, KISS has become my motto. While it doesn't make much sense from a military tactical view point, would rather have good night vision cameras to know who is out there than a system designed to kill someone. My days of humping a pack thru the woods with a long range weapon are long gone.

Ura-Ki and Rocky Road Lerp like this.
  6. Rocky Road Lerp

Well I'm pretty stupid and tend to keep it simple, lol. I was just curious as to how many have made the leap from a fixed reticle to an lpvo. I'm getting a new upper in .308 which will run neither, but for the carbine I really love being able to run it out to 500 with dependable groups. I'm not running a sub moa rig, but damn if that lpvo don't make me feel like it.

SB21, Ura-Ki and duane like this.
  7. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I've looked at the EOTECH stuff ,, and a Trijicon,, was going to put one on the AR. Never used an AR with a sight system,,,back when I was in service,, the only ones with sights were Snipers , and the M47 Dragons guys. :ROFLMAO: Probably a few more in reality . Let me know what you decide,, these old peepers of mine might could get used to seeing that 3-500 yrd target these days.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  8. Rocky Road Lerp

I'm running an lpvo with iron back ups right now. Tried to post a picture but it keeps telling me the file is too big. I personally like the idea of versatility. It runs good up close and out to the fence line. Plus I can illuminate the reticle if need be. I believe Sig got the Army contract, but Trijicon and Vortex are still in the game .

Ura-Ki and SB21 like this.
  9. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Thanks,,, I'll look into them,, I need to get something,,, just to keep up with everyone else if nothing else :D ,,, it surely can't hurt.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Thor 4,for the piggies

Ura-Ki likes this.
  11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

A few years back, I needed to add a Battle Rifle to my GunSafe… Since I am an FFL, and can get anything I choose, I went with a Custom DPMS AR10 with a 24” Stainless Bull Barrel and added a set of Bipods to the for-end… As my eyes are 72 years old, and not near as good as they were when I was 25, Optics were required for the ranges this Rifle was designed to be used at…. When I was in Small Bore Competition I shot a Winchester 52 pre-A with a Untrel 24 mounted on heavy Blocks… that I still have, but not what I would want on the new system… After a double ton of research, and considerations, I decided on a Burris Eliminator III setting on a pair of See-Thru High-Rise mounts… Yes it has Batteries, but the advantages far out weigh the issue of Extra Batteries, in the Gun-Case… First, is the 4-16X brings targeting at 1000yds close enough for my tired old eyes…, Second, the 50mm Objective Lens and glass are of a reasonable quality to be used for the use it was designed for.. Third, the built in Laser Rangefinder, which is SOLID out to 1200 yds, makes this an “all in one” Long Range weapon, with no need for ancillary do-dads… and Fourth, and finally, the built-in Ballistic BDC Computer, once setup for the custom ammunition of choice, makes this an 18” Gong Ringer out at 1000yds dang near every time on a calm day…. It took about 200 rounds to characterize the barrel for the 147Grain Spitzer-Boattail Projectiles that I choose for the weapon’s .308 NATO custom Loading.. Then another 50 rounds, to get the BDC dialed in… but in the end, the whole package works as intended, and even AlaskaChick can drop a Moose sized Target out at 1000yds on a clam day, off a solid rest…
    There are pictures of the System in the FireArm forum here on the Monkey, if anyone has an intrest…

SB21, 3M-TA3, Rocky Road Lerp and 2 others like this.
  12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Prismatics with etched reticles. Battery illumination, but not needed and no issues with my astigmatism.
    • Vortex first gen Spitfire 1x: Awesome CQB. Very fast target acquisition.
    • Primary Arms Cyclops 1x: Has a 1x version of the ACOG reticle (ACSS), which Primary Arms developed and licenses to them. Wish I had gone with a 3 or 5 x, especially because the rifles they are on a suited for longer ranges, but that's not the scope's problem it's my ageing eyesight. Have also thought about replacing with 1x6 or 1x8 Primary Arms ACSS scopes.

Regular Scopes
    • Leupold 3x9 Patrol: Great reticle, great glass, nice field of view. Has a "firedot" at the cross hairs that really helps with fast target acquisition and automatically turns off with inactivity. Really, really like this scope, but might eventually replace it with a Primary Arms 4x16 ACSS DMR scope.
    • Leupold 2x7: Older pre "vari-x" generation. Makes my A-Bolt 22 shine. Simple reticle, no batteries, just great glass that works

13. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I run a Leupold MK IV on my M14 National Match and ACOGs on my poodle shooters.

SB21, Rocky Road Lerp, 3M-TA3 and 2 others like this.
  14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I still love my "Old" Night Force optics, they just flat out work!
    My Beast still wears a Night Force, and It's capable of Sub MOA well past what most serious shooters are capable of!
    I'm not most shooters! LOL

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. Rocky Road Lerp

That's an awesome set up! I hear a lot of chatter about the downside to batteries, but the lpvo's don't run through batteries that fast imo. I'm getting an upper with a stainless barrel and will definitely look into that Burris. Thanks!

SB21, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just a NOTE here: Even back when I built the Battle Rifle, the Optics cost twice what the FireArm costs… and that was even with Dealer Discounts added into the equation… So be forewarned, this ain’t for the Family Finances…

17. Rocky Road Lerp

I know this to be true. Thank you BTP

Ura-Ki likes this.
  18. Rocky Road Lerp

.308 or even Creedmore makes this relevant.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  19. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

And once you get into the really long range game, it's imperative to have top shelf glass!
    I have been pushing the absolute limits of the normal calibers, and really stretching the .338 Lapua into unknown territory!

If I can see you with my naked MK-1 20/10 eyeball, I can absolutely hit within an 8" circle!

SB21, Gator 45/70 and Rocky Road Lerp like this.
  20. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

Iron and glass. Don't need no stinking battery's.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7