Options for 12ga pump

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by sayety, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

+1 Seawolf. Excellent point. The 870 is one of the most reliable, trustworthy and modifiable shotties out there. Heck, with an Express, you can swap barrels, pop in a plug and be legal for hunting. Mine has the 8 round tube, buttstock bandolier, and shell sling (like yours). Over the holi-daze I am mounting a tacti-cool light and calling it a done deal.

2. sayety

sayety Monkey+

I can't disagree with you. I know that 870s are the standard in shotguns. That being said, I am not looking for a wing master that i shoot 200 shells out of a year and expect it to last decades.

What i am looking for is a backup gun for defense. It would not be my first or only option for defending my family, that is the job of a Glock.

Weather I like it or not, i have a budget. I wish i could buy Benelli (or even another 870), I honestly do! But I can't. So my options are find something for that fits my budget or don't get anything at all.

Last week I told the guy @ the gun shop what i was looking for...he called and said he had a used Mossberg 500 that was in my price range. I plan on stopping by tonight or first think in the morning.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

FWIW, and probably not much at that:

I have an 870, bought used, nearly NIB. I've put at least 5000 rounds thru it, mostly trap loads, with zero functional failures. (The chokes are mis-marked which I found on the pattern board then confirmed with a vernier caliper.)

Some time ago (decades) my son had a 500, brand new, that promptly spit it's ejector spring. The replacement was reliable until he sold it to fulfill a different wish list item. I think you would not go wrong with either one of those two, and possibly the winnie equivalent would suit as well.

Go over that mossy with a fine toothed comb, and if the guy will let you, take it to the range and wring it out before plunking down the bux.

4. sgt peppersass

sgt peppersass Monkey+

i also have a benelli nova which ive found to be very reliable. Plus it can take up to 3 1/2" magnums and just around 300 for a brand new one, im sure you can score a used one cheaper

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have a 18.5" Winchester 1300 Stainless Marine 12 Ga. Shotgun that lives over the Cabin front door. It has the extended Tube Magazine, and is setup with a #7 Shot Low Base, in the chamber, and then 00 Buck, and Slugs, alternating thru the rest of the Mag. The rational is, that this is mostly used when my Bear Neighbors come to visit, and if they are particularly unruly, I can blast them in the butt, from 20 yards, and that sends them off, back into the bush, and if they still want to play, after that it is Lights Out Time. The same would be true for any unruly two legged Predator, who thought this place looked like an easy mark. There is NOT a Mammal that resides on land in North America, that can stand up to that load, when used with malice.

6. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

Marlin mod. 42 -It's old but it's been my go to gun for varmints for a whole lot of years . It will put slugs or sabo rounds in a paper plate at 100 yds. and hold a great pattern with the 00 buck as well as take pheasant out of the fields .
    I have a few shotguns but the one I trust the most is the one keep at the bed side .

7. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

Have any of you guys tried the Ultra 87 from Century. I have shot several rounds from a friend and havent had any issues. He bought it on special for around $170.00 I cant seem to figure why not for home defense.. my .02

8. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Wife's uncle always just kept a single shot 12ga in his RV when traveling around the states. Handguns would be fine, but are not legal in all states and cities. You may not believe how quickly you can reload a break open single shot 12.

My choice would naturally be my only pump shotgun the Rem 870, I paid more for mine new several years ago than what you are wanting to pay. If you really can tell what you want, have you tried looking at pawn shops. Locally, I've seen a few that were in good shape for around your price range.

9. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I don't think you could go wrong with either an 870 or 500/590. Both have seen service. Mossbergs are currently the shotty we are using. Never seen one fail. Also check other used riot guns- Ithacas, Winchesters, etc. There are a lot out there at bargain prices.

A pump action is perhaps one of the simplest, most reliable actions ever... it's really more about personal preference.

I have an 870, 590A1, and 935 currently. I have owned 2x 500s. Nothing wrong with any of them. Only reason I sold off the 500s was to fund other items.

10. ghrit

Yeah, but. I knew a guy in Massachusetts that could take doubles at trap with a single shot most of the time. That was one snappy reload; he said it took years of practice to do it. Not something I'd want to count on when "it" happens.

11. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I paid $250 for my 870 Express - brand new. They are out there, for a decent price.

12. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Very true, I also know a guy that took down two deer deadern' snot in under a minute with a single 12. Sorry no pictures or proof as it was one of those shoot and shut up things. FIL claimed the other one. I was a bit younger then and always carried the other 4 slugs in my Rt hand pocket for quick reloads. That and a single shot .22 were my only guns back then. Ya had to be good with the resources ya had.

All that and I'd sure hate to be the first in line of someone defending their RV or home for that matter with a single 12ga, just saying...

13. ghrit

I can reload an over/under in WELL under a minute and back on the house for another pair, that's actually very easy. (Didn't say I'd break all four birds.) Sustained fire as from a pump is a different thing entirely. With breakopens, it's how you hold the second loading that matters, and you need ejectors, not just lifters. (Well, I do, anyway. Manual dexterity counts, and most of mine is long gone.) IIRC, that guy I mentioned held his second shot between his left thumb and index finger pointed toward his palm. My doubles are between left thumb and index, and between left index and social (bases to the forearm on the gun.) Gravity assist on action opening, uv cuss, with a sorta snap of the right wrist to get the cocking mechanism to function. Takes a bit of practice getting both reloads in line with the bores.

Getting that single barrel done and breaking two, now that is FAST. You've got only about 4 seconds before the birds hit the ground at normal ATA spec targets.

Yep, you gotta run what you brung, and beware of the guy that has only one.

(And I still like pumps for property defense.)

14. sayety

sayety Monkey+

I am sorry guys...i feel like i am beating a dead horse by keeping this thread up-to-date. But i said it once and i'll say it again.....I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING FOR LESS THAN $310...and thats on the net....i'd have another ~$25 shipping. Locally i can't find anything decent for less than $275 used....New are going for $350+

When I say anything i mean any well known brand. as i already said i can find an NEE pardner for right around $200. My budget for this purchase is 200. If i could find a new 870 express for $250 i'd buy 2 and sell the second!

I went to look at a used Mossberg and it was JUNK! I not particular but i don't want anything that looks like it spent 5 years laying in salt water or anything that was within 10 feet of a hack saw.

I am going to keep looking for something used...Ideally an 870 with a synthetic stock and an 18'' barrel but as i said i am not particular and i am not in a big hurry. The Pardners are fairly common for right around $200 if i get impatient. Maybe someone will need some after Christmas cash and i'll be able to pick somehting up...

15. Seawolf1090

If only the Pardner meets the budget limit, then the choice is obvious.

16. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have a preference for the Ithaca Model 37 pump shotgun for two reasons:
    1. it is a truly ambidexterious shotgun in that it ejects from the bottom of the receiver rather than the side
    2. when you hold the trigger down and rack the pump, it shoots every time it locks home.

17. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Ok, I'll jump in here.
    Have you checked pawn shops?
    or
    have you gone down to your local gun shop?
    or
    place a 'Wanted 12 Ga pump at a local shooting range'

It doesn't sound like you want a brand spanking new one, just a gently used one.

I don't know where you live but i find it hard to believe that there aren't a few available 870,500s kicking around in your budget. just a matter of asking the right question to the right person.

q. 'Do you know someone that has a 12 gauge pump shot gun that they would like to sell'

Someone is going to say yes.

my shoulder lead chucker of choice is the Saiga 12 with a 20rd drum! w00t!

18. sayety

sayety Monkey+

Yes i have been to several local gun shops. We only have one pawn shop in the area that sells guns and i have been there too. We don't have a local range. We do have some local classifieds that post guns and i have been watching them twice a day. I just missed a few it seems that if people are posting them on the local classifieds (for a decent price) they are only lasting a few hours.

I think if i keep looking i'll find something....i am not in a big hurry.

19. Seawolf1090

Also check the gun auction online sites -sometimes some very good deals come up! But be sure your local shop will receive on their FFL. Rates vary a lot too.

20. KHAN

KHAN Monkey+++

Just get a SPAS 12 and call it done!

And yes I know they are outa your price range, but oh so sweet!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7