Ordered A Pair Of Baofeng UV 5RAs

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by TXKajun, Oct 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

2. mikejobmiller

mikejobmiller Monkey

Just don't hit the transmit button on the popo's lol!

Baofeng UV5R Programming UV-5R
    ^^^ AWESOME site for Baofengs!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It is NOT advisable to hit the Transmit Button, on ANY Frequency, that REQUIRES a License, if you do NOT have one, in your possession.
    ....... YMMV.....

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
    VisuTrac likes this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

still running through test questions......;)

5. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Life has gotten in the way of studying. Drat. Just monitoring the local PD freq.

Kajun

6. mikejobmiller

mikejobmiller Monkey

^^^ This is correct, dont play w/ fire

7. kellory

Looking at the BAOFENG radios for purchase. Which model would be the best choice? they are all in the same range of cost, so which would be the most useful, and best design? I am looking for a handheld version, not a base unit. i will also use it when mobile.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Go with the ht (UV-5R, I think it is) as a starter, they work on 2M and 70cm repeaters (and simplex, of course.) Perhaps not the most powerful and quality option, but by all accounts they work. The main problem is programming them using the directions; I'm told they are less than easily understood, but there is programming software out there in webland. See the forum at Prepared Ham there's a review and discussion to chew over. (I think there's some discussions here on the Monkey, too.) You can't use them on all the Tech frequencies, but will give you a taste of repeater operation when you participate in nets. For portability and mobile use, an ht cannot be beat. You can add a mag mount whip antenna to an ht that will extend the range a bit over operating it from inside the car.

Come time for a base station, I was inclined to jump in with both feet and did, a pricy option I thought over carefully before sending out a check. YMMV, you might want to consider something less, ah, "fancy" (and more limited) for a starter base unit. From what I've gathered, most hams wind up getting fancier and fancier as time wears on, and end up with the pricy rigs eventually along with some dust gatherers.

9. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Get the latest version that they make... if you are buying new.... I have a pair of UV-3R's that I bought for Third Level Backups. These are Part90 Devices, so they are legal for ANY Part 90 Radio Service, as well as Ham Radio Services. I believe the UV-5R+'s are also Part 90 Devices as well. There will not be a lot of Price difference between "Latest" or Previous Versions, and they are so cheap there are few being sold used as most folks who upgrade keep them for Backup Comms. Momma carries he UV-3R in her Travel Gear because it is so small, loaded with features like Dual Band, etc, and can be charged off her USB Charger, that services her iPhone and iPad. She also carries he Kenwood TH-D72A Dual Band APRS Handheld as her Main Comms Unit.

11. kellory

USB charging would be an asset, as I just picked up a solar charger for USB to USB micro. It came with a battery pack as well.

stg58 and BTPost like this.
  12. kellory

What are the down sides of the UV-3R when compared to the UV-5R ? EDIT: (interesting, I have links I was not aware of, in my post, to sites I haven't been to.) I was looking on Ebay.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
    stg58 likes this.
  13. kellory

I hand typed this post, and the other, yet links have appeared where I did not create them. They appear to be keyed to the words used, but I did not make them.

stg58 likes this.
  14. Yard Dart

It may be the forum software is tagging links to key words.....

stg58 likes this.
  15. kellory

not just tagging connections, these links go to other sites.

stg58 likes this.
  16. Yard Dart

Sorry, that is what I was suggesting (web address link tag vs a thread tag). But some young mod may set it straight.

stg58 likes this.
  17. Yard Dart

stg58 likes this.
  18. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Just a heads up, the Baofeng UV-5R and 5RA's are dropping in price. Recent check on amazon placed them around $35, shipped.

19. Yard Dart

Pain in the ass to program... just my O

20. milton6994

milton6994 Monkey+

CityFreq.com is another good site. They will sometimes have additional frequencies missing at RR.

1. ghrit
  2. Lancer
  3. Lancer
  4. Lancer
    Resource

Baofeng UV-5R Manual 2017-12-28

Baofeng UV-5R owners manual
    Posted By: Lancer, Dec 28, 2017 in category: Communications
  5. Lancer
  6. Lancer
    Resource

Baofeng BF-F8HP_Manual 2017-12-28