Ordered A Pair Of Baofeng UV 5RAs

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by TXKajun, Oct 10, 2013.

Tags:
  1. milton6994

milton6994 Monkey+

Get the programming cable. It is well worth it.

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

We have the cables. Still will not chirp program. In my case, it says it has the wrong driver, but no driver I have found does work. PIA. So far.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

4. kellory

I hope to get it online in the next couple of weeks. I have a buddy who is both a ham, and much better on computers than I am. Just need to work it into his schedule.

5. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Did you get the cable with one or two jacks? My first one came with the single...which is wrong and it gave me the driver issue as well.

6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

The cable has the dual jack

7. kellory

I have the boafeng 3. It takes the single jack type. That is what I have.

8. KYOT

KYOT Monkey+

I own some of the baofengs and like them. However, get ready for programing issues when you load your channel selections. Be sure to get the programing cable, as the onboard programming does not work at all. You can program with the CHIRP program that comes with the cable
    KYOT - general class hamster

Yard Dart likes this.
  9. Yard Dart

I must just have a bad cable.... can not get it to work with the chirp program at all.... the PC will not even see the device.

10. KYOT

KYOT Monkey+

Try the BF5R program on the disk, in that case. It is more limited, but should work. What is your pc operating system?

11. Yard Dart

I have tried the disk on win 7 ... and 8 for fun.

12. KYOT

KYOT Monkey+

Try on a WinXP system. I suspect that is the issue. These are relatively old programs.
    KYOT

Yard Dart likes this.
  13. kellory

any of you radios, baofeng 3's?

14. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Both the Baofeng OEM program and CHIRP work on my Win7 64 system (for the UV-5R). More likely than not it is a driver issue with the usb chip.

15. KYOT

KYOT Monkey+

UV5Rs. BTW, you can tune these for the gmwr UHF band and use them with the midland, Motorola and so on radios for significantly more distance. Also, be sure to replace the antennas with extendable metal whips. That is the main advantage they have over gmwr radios. The fcc specifies that the fmr and gmwr radios have non replaceable antennas with no option for an external antenna. The supplied antennas are little better than paperclips on these non ham radios. Of course, this is a bit outside of regulations (using the gmrs freqs) but it is doubtful you would ever encounter anyone objecting. The FCC has no enforcement presence here, or on CB frequencies, unless they get a significant complaint.

Homer Simpson likes this.
  16. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

A relevant quote from FAQ - CHIRP
    • Avoid USB programming cables that appear to be based on the Prolific PL-2303 USB chip. This is the chip that has been cloned/counterfeited in the Chinese cables. The early clones were fairly unreliable. Because of the counterfeiting, Prolific has taken the step of making their newest drivers attempt to detect the counterfeit chips and refuse to work with them. Recent versions of Microsoft Windows (7 and later) will automatically update to the latest Prolific driver. This can make a cable stop working at some point after it is installed. <br /> Look at the driver instructions for references to PL-2303. Also another clue is that there will be many different drivers listed to try if one doesn't work.
    This may also be useful to help sort things out: Prolific FTDI Windows Cable Drivers

@KYOT - fmr & gmwr? I believe you are referring to frs and gmrs, in which case yes, frs requires non-removable antennae, but gmrs suffers no such handicap. Of course, using non-type accepted radios on these frequencies is not permitted :(

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    Yard Dart likes this.
  17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

No more winks and nods toward flouting regulations, please.

kellory and BTPost like this.
  18. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Ghrit - typo corrected :)

1. ghrit
  2. Lancer
  3. Lancer
  4. Lancer
    Resource

Baofeng UV-5R Manual 2017-12-28

Baofeng UV-5R owners manual
    Posted By: Lancer, Dec 28, 2017 in category: Communications