Orders may take a while

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Valkman, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Again I had a gout attack in my left elbow, but of course I wasn't going to let that stop me. So I'm out there last night trying to use the drill press and I can't hold the damn knife down with my left hand and the thing helicopters and almost breaks my wrist. Sigh. So I try and profile TLynn's knife and there's just no power in the elbow to hold it so I give up.

I go to the doc's today for results of the x-ray they took 2 weeks ago, and now some radiologist read it and said I have a fracture in my elbow. I don't think I do, my doc doesn't think I do either, but she had to put me in a sling and refer me to a orthopedist. As soon as the gout is gone I plan on going back to work but I see the new guy next week and if there is a fracture I'll be out of action for a while.

I am not a happy camper!

Don

2. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Don, gout is not something to fool around with. Listen to your doctor (not the one about the fracture unless of course he/she is right).

Just get better. I'd rather have you well and the knife not worked on. Because you are far more important than any knife.

T

3. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

You must feel hog-tied V-Man but try your best to be patient and feel better soon.

4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

And maybe learn to Grind using your feet!!

5. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

:eek:

Take Care Bruddah..... the knifemaking can wait.... you don't wanna do any permanent damage.....

6. Valkman

I'm waiting to see a arthritis doc about taking something everyday for gout since I've had a few attacks lately, but my doc today said she can't start me on it since I'm having an attack and it would make things worse.

The gout I can live with, but if they put my arm in a cast I'm gonna go nuts! For 5 years I did nothing but be on a computer all day and night, but now that I started making knives I can't stand sitting around.

Hmm, use my feet! I like it! Stinky Knives! :p

7. Bear

"Hmm, use my feet! I like it! Stinky Knives! "

Hey that could be a take off on Strider Knives... b::

"Footmade in America" b:: [beer]

8. Valkman

Motto:

"The Stripes are ToeJam!"

"Harduse Knives for Hardnosed individuals"

Eeeeeeeeew!

9. Bear

Hey.... make a knife you can use with your feet !!!!!!!!..... ultimate in covert spec ops :eek: :eek: [peep] :eek: :eek:

Impregnate the handle with foot spray.... Stinky Blades !!!! [beer]

10. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

maybe a Dr Scholls Sheath?

11. Valkman

I was looking at really getting these orders out, and I was hoping to go visit Bob Loveless in a couple of weeks and have all of these done by then. I'm still going to set up the Loveless visit, as I think it will have a big effect on my knives just like going to Blade did, but these may not get done by then. It makes me mad, as I have them all profiled and ready to grind!

12. Valkman

I'm back to work - the elbow is better and I did a bunch of grinding last night. But I ran out of drill bits - I drill like 16 holes in every knife to lighten it up and for pin holes and I just destroy drill bits. I have a Drill Doctor but that hasn't helped much as I guess I'm not sharpening them right or something. But today I go to True Value Hardware and they have bits there for $6-7 that are guaranteed forever, so I got one to try. I got about 100 holes to drill so we'll see! :D

13. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well, could always pick up a few of them and just take them all in each time they are all broke.

14. Valkman

I wore it out already.

15. Cousin Jack

Cousin Jack Knifemaker Founding Member

Don, what speed are you running your press at? Most drill presses are made for woodworking, and because of that, will run fast. You will burn out drill bits very quickly when drilling steel at high rpm's. You need to run your press at less than 300 rpm if possible.

I start PT today, and I'm gonna ask the doctor if I can start hogging steel...woo-hoo!

16. Valkman

Good for you man, I know it'll be painful but it'll get you back in shape!

I'll check that speed - it should be on slow but honestly I haven't checked it in a long time. I have a small $99 Craftsman and would dearly love a big drill press, along with a mill and blast cabinet. Man, my dream shop is sure sweet! :)

17. Bear

Hey Valkman,
    Are you using any kind of cutting oil when you drill those holes?.... you may be generating enough heat to draw the temper out of the bits and then it doesn't matter how sharp they are....
    Also Garrett Wade has some Diamond coated twist drill sets (6) at $10.95 or two sets for $17.95 Not precision stuff mind you.... but o.k. for the holes you drill to lighten it up....
    http://www.garrettwade.com/shopping...MainCat=12000&iSubCat=12000&iProductID=107411
    Glad to hear you're back in action....

Bear

18. Valkman

Yep I use Rapid Tap but I drill so many holes the bit still gets real hot. I checked the speed of the drill press and by their cheapo guide I was ok but slowed it down anyway to the slowest speed. I had ordered carbide bits from Enco and they should be here tomorrow.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7