Ordinary people doing extraordinary things...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chelloveck, Feb 23, 2014.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Humanity has its moments, when people treat each other as humans.

kellory, Mountainman and tulianr like this.
  2. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Great vids Chello, I watched all of them. Although, note to self.....if ever in a city with a subway / train station don't go near them.

Dunerunner likes this.
  3. chelloveck

Thankyou...I've helped folk who have fallen between stationary trains and platforms, and helped stop an intoxicated man from falling onto train tracks...by grabbing his backpack and hauling him from the edge. He was most unappreciative and belligerent. I occasionally see him, bumbling about intoxicated...and wonder whether I was just deferring the inevitable.

The video sequence that impressed me the most was the one where the guy in the wheel chair tackled the convenience store robber...courage knows no disability when a thinking person is committed to doing what they feel they must.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    Gator 45/70 and kellory like this.
  4. Mountainman

I agree with being impressed with the wheel chair guy. Who would have thought he would get into it with the robber. Hats off to him.

kellory and chelloveck like this.
  5. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

WOW, amazing videos.

I agree, hats off the person in the wheel chair owned that dude!

Amazed at the number of people that "just walked off" the train/subway platforms. While some were drunk most just appear to be oblivious to their surroundings.

chelloveck likes this.
  6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

For me was the woman who went inverted to retrieve the child .

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Now, see, to each his own. I admired the guy who saw the child grab the handrail of the escalator (As kids do) and saw the problem and made the catch while no one else seemed to notice.

chelloveck likes this.
  8. chelloveck

We each have it within us to do remarkable things for our fellow human beings (and ourselves), and, indeed our furred, and feathered friends too. It requires situational awareness, a recognition of danger/threat, and arriving quickly at decisions...what can I do? what will I do? How will I do it? :And committing to action.

Never underestimate anyone's capabilities, regardless of whether they are wearing white hats or black hats. What the guy may have lacked in lower body capability, his upper body capabilities more than adequately compensated for. People with a disability often have remarkable compensating abilities, not the least of which is the refusal to allow a disability to dictate how they will live.

Being oblivious to one's surroundings has become more of a danger for those who are concentrating on texting or browsing a tablet etc. Some of the fallers may have had a visual impairment (problems with depth perception for instance); some may have stumbled through slipping / tripping; some may have been preoccupied with the day's events, mulling over the past (or dreaming about the future), instead of living in the present; some may have been experiencing a medical condition (stroke / heart attack / epilepsy / dizzy spell / medication reaction) or possibly in some instances suicidal. It always worries me when I see (mostly) women, orienting the front of their baby carriage / pram etc, towards the edge of the platform while waiting for a bus or train instead of parallel to the platform until the train / bus has stopped.

Most urban train networks in first world countries have CCTV, so its quite probable that the number of recorded incidents of platform falls will be disproportionate to other incidents that happen outside of the range of CCTV or someone with a smart phone to record it.

Yep...that certainly required great courage...claustrophobia and the fear of becoming stuck upside down would have deterred many. It should be borne in mind that had she been stuck upside down for any extended period of time, it would be highly likely that the rescuer would have died.

The thing to remember is that it's not just the principal actors in the drama that show courage and commitment, it's also all of those who took some kind of action, no matter how mundane, or apparently insignificant, to contribute towards a positive outcome. The person dialling 999 (or 000 in Australia), the person finding resources such as timber / rope / chain / tools etc etc; the persons comforting and reassuring others, so that the rescuers can work unhindered; giving moral encouragement and support to the rescuers and those being rescued. These are all important, and their value ought not be underestimated or overlooked.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    Mountainman and kellory like this.
  9. Mountainman

Yep, sheeple are funny that way.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7