Oregon & Washington Monkeys

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Sep 9, 2020.

1. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

My mum said they were getting 100 mph gust that blew over trees /taking down power lines causing 2 of the fires that were near her, so not all arson... but looks like a lot of them are. Shes ok, and both sisters are fine at moment although 1 is in a evac 1 area (be ready but ok for now) Dad is ok were hes at also (down near Roseburg) but says smoke is bad there.

Seepalaces, Gator 45/70, Dont and 5 others like this.
  2. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

This is our view from the front of the house today. We are on a hill and our normal view of the valley below is for miles.

Smoke 091220.

Seepalaces, DKR, Gator 45/70 and 6 others like this.
  3. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Got to get rid of all that excess fuel and stop living in the woods like a bunch of damn squirrels. Many of the residents of Phoenix survived because they left their homes and drove to a Home Depot parking lot for safety...because there wasn't any fuel for the fire there, you know stuff like trees, houses, etc..

4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Smart thinking. Here we would still need to get pretty far away from the forest. Most people understand that the heat can kill you as well as smoke, but a BIG timber fire sucks the oxygen right out of the air as it burns - it even makes it's own weather. You can asphyxiate even if you don't get burned or choked by the smoke.

5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I remember that! Even getting ready to evacuate has been an eye opener. I've gone so far into the "bug in" strategy that I neglected "bug out" possibilities. Even the mental and emotional issues have to be addressed. I missed that because I'm a naturally calm person who just doesn't get rattled. I didn't take into consideration that the mental state of others had to be managed.

I realized that my wife and relatives that were staying with us were getting themselves worked up to the point where they couldn't even sleep so we had a 2AM "come to Jesus" talk about conserving your resources so you can act when it is time to act. In the mean time, once preps are made, get as much rest as possible because an evacuation would be a long and stressful day or two and I needed everybody to be ready for it.

6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Current headlines out of Oregon.

CLACKAMAS COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPUTY PLACED ON LEAVE AFTER SHARING ANTIFA CONSPIRACY
    CLACKAMAS COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPUTY PLACED ON LEAVE AFTER SHARING ANTIFA CONSPIRACY THEORY
    CONSPIRACY THEORY
    https://www.kgw.com/amp/article/news/local/clackamas-county-sheriffs-deputy-antifa-wildfires-oregon/283-60cfb99b-53fb-4f07-9911-a2a5ed18280f

He got canned after that video

Seepalaces, DKR, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Yup, and I trust what he said more then the State or the Gov. Or F.B.I.
    Fact if the matter is, lots of Deputies, Nat. Guard, and even a few Stater's are also saying it! I put more faith in them then my government!

8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Oregon State - gets an F rating for integrity How does your state rank for integrity? – Center for Public Integrity (link provided to me by a far far left extremist acquaintance)

Kate Brown - only tells the truth on accident when she is confused and thinks it a lie

Rank and file officers and grunts always know what is really happening and are the ones most likely to say it like it is. My faith is there over any who have a political aspect to their jobs.

From what I've seen on social media, people who are not afraid to say who they are (a few are friends of relatives) are posting pictures and videos of the arsonists and many of them look like the types you see in riot videos. Doesn't prove a thing, but my guess is if you asked the question in the "right way" these guys would roll over.

On a positive note, my neighborhood is back to level one in the evacuation system.

Seepalaces, Mountainman, GOG and 3 others like this.
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

One of my besties is a Beaverton City Officer, and when he says it's agitators, I believe him! I know many Washington County Deputies, several Marion County, and even a Few Polk, and Linn County Deputies, as well as a few of Salem's finest, ALL are telling me the same story! I also have a pretty tight relationship with the Oregon Army National Guard, and the Air National Guard, same story from them!
    Those are people I trust implicitly!

10. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I am a few miles off I5 in western Wa. No fires in the county that have not been contained, a couple smaller ones up north in Thurston county, stopped at the edge of a friends foundation. Smokey here bad, but this area is mainly private (Weyco, SPI) forest land, and funny thing its not burning. Woods are gated and shut down, logging and road work have been stopped as of Tuesday.

There is no way this many fires are an accident, some I am sure are normal causes some are people taking advantage of a crisis.

11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

12. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Thank GOD that my ancestors had the good sense and foresight to settle in NW Alabama, and that we stayed. No earthquakes, no hurricanes, no blizzards, no forest fires, no plagues of locusts, no riots, etc.. Historically speaking the last 50-60 years has been pretty boring and there won't be any books written about this area....which is fine by me! The last time things got exciting around here was 160 years ago during the War Between the States.
    However, if I lived in an area that experienced disasters, on a regular basis, I hope that I would prepare for them. Most people seem to hope that they survive through sheer dumb luck and that insurance and/or the government will pay to rebuild their lives. The people in the NW and West don't have nothing on those people along the Gulf Coast that are filling sandbags. I got to question the wisdom of filling a dozen sandbags when that storm surge is expected to be 5-6 feet. It would take tens of thousands of sandbags to build a wall around your house, plus plastic sheeting, pump and lots of fuel. If it was me I would spend that time filling up with gas, packing up pictures, valuables, papers, clothing, etc. and getting the hell out of Dodge! Just point your car north and don't stop until you are one or two states away!
    I just read a news story about a family that lost a 13 year old son and his 71 year old grandmother. It's a sad tale of being a day late. They were preparing to leave, the father left to get a trailer, and the family went to sleep. They woke-up in the middle of the night surrounded by fire and tried to run for it...they didn't get far. The car tires melted from the heat and unable to drive they continued on foot... without the disabled grandmother! Can anyone here imagine abandoning your mother or grandmother to die alone in a fire?! The mother and her son got separated in the panic. The woman was found by her husband walking down the road barefooted in her underwear (good indication of the level of planning involved in this operation) and he didn't even recognize her, at first. The son was found in the car with his grandmother. This family will NEVER be the same! I, for one, would find it hard to live with the kind of guilt that these folks are going to have to bear. There are so many what-ifs here. What-if the father had taken the family to safety and returned with the trailer? What-if they had just taken the grandmother to safety? What-if someone had stood watch through the night? What-if they had started a day earlier.. or even a few hours?

13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

@Wildbilly our disaster was repeatedly electing incompetent Governors. This could have easily avoided in Oregon two different ways:
    1. We forgot the lessons learned in the 80's and 90's and allowed undergrowth to pile up by totally preventing fires. Healthy forests have periodic small fires that burns dead branches, undergrowth, and deadly (to the trees) pests like pine beetles. If these had been properly managed forests the fires would have been done and gone in a few days. Instead an unnatural accumulation of dead branches, pine needles, etc. was allowed to accumulate
      and produced a fire that was hot and big enough to burn the trees themselves.

2. We elected a string of incompetent Governors that could only see (and care about) the urban areas. The current one completely ignored these fires when they were small and set the stage for the wind storm to turn qan easily manageable situation into the current 0% contained nightmare.
    Either of the above would have prevented the current emergency.

BTW you may think that your area is immune, but it was affected in the 1800's by the largest known earthquake to hit North America. It is estimated to have been in the high 9's. Because you don't get smaller periodic quakes, that means the pressure and energy is building up for the next one, and there will be a next one. Hopefully the cycle is greater than 200 years.

14. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Yeah, the New Madrid Earthquake was a big one, and we tend to forget about it because we haven't had more than a handful of small quakes since. A localized 1.0 or 2.0 is front page news around here, and they only happen about once every 10 years or so. You are right about the excess fuel in the forests, there is so much of it that it would be difficult to have a controlled burn now. Just have to wait as major wildfires will remove the excess fuel...some folks just have to do things the hard way!

15. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I like our west coast shake once and a while , just releases the pressure and time to pave the divide on one island , each year it is in repair with a constant sign , BUMP AHEAD !!!
    Sloth

Seepalaces and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Earthquakes are like women. It's better off for everybody if they get a little pissed off on a fairly regular basis than if you let it build build up and she goes nuclear.

17. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

So just to keep me in the house I do the shopping and get crap wrong every time just for that purpose,,
    On and off in-between shopping and doing something correct .
    Not as good as we were in rabbit mode , but better than xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Sloth

Seepalaces and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

The sandbags are for the Look-a-lous driving around on flooded streets,Stops the wave action + a 12 gauge round over their hood...
    Something about a big boom makes em' slow the hell down!

Seepalaces likes this.
  19. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

related

County commish meetng

and this
    Man arrested after admitting he used Molotov cocktail to start brush fire in Portland
    Man arrested after admitting he used Molotov cocktail to start brush fire in Portland

arrested, released w/o bond, later arrected for starting 6 more brush files.
    Current on mental health hold. Not Aunty Fa it would seem, just a common nutter too often seen in the "homeless Community".

Seepalaces, Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  20. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Looked like my front yard last summer
    several 100,000 acres burned down on the Kenai - beetle kill the Greens wouldn't allow to be harvested.

Burned, and we lived in an ash pit for most of the summer.

I noticed on the way down to Anchor Point - one of the few areas that didn't get burned out - that the Greenioes were NOT out planting trees to replace the ones burned.

Rain on wood ash = bad river water = no fish. Bad for everyone.
    By hey, all the Califolower Greenies now get a first hand look at what they have inflicted on everyone else for a change. I feel bad for the 'innocent bystanders' but what goes around, comes around - in this case, bad forest fires.

this: - Swan Lake and Funny River fires
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here
    [​IMG]

left this - for miles and miles and miles.
    [​IMG]

thank the Good Lord for Fireweed. Saved most of the area from washing away into the Kenai river.

Some pundit left a sign next to the road - Free Firewwod.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7