1. The Topic of the Month for April 2017 is "Store what you use, use what you store." Please join the discussion on the Survival Topic of the Month forum.

Original Brass Spark-lite

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Hanzo, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Was talking with @Bear about this yesterday. Our conversation prompted me to do a review.

Been using a Spark-lite for years. Bought a whole bunch of the plastic ones and the aluminum ones. Gave most of them away to friends, scouts, 4H kids, even some visiting forum folks. Not sure what I have left at this point. But I do have an original brass one that was given to me as a gift.

[​IMG]

First of all, it works and it works one handed. The sparks are much hotter and much more than using a flint and steel. And less than you can get from a ferro rod, depending on the size of the rod.

It works great on lots of dry tinder. Also works on anything you would use a flint and steel with. I like using some cotton cord that is charred on one end. This one resides in a little spot in my wallet along with a couple of really old pieces of tinderquick and a cotton lamp wick that is charred on one end.

The interesting thing about these spark-lites is that the original brass one throws more sparks and hotter sparks than the plastic and aluminum ones. Another tinder that works great is fatwood shavings.

Here's the spark-life in action.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next image after this was just all white. Here's a slo-mo video.

duane, natshare, NotSoSneaky and 6 others like this.
  1. thewildyam
  2. Bandit99
  3. phorisc
  4. phorisc
  5. phorisc
  6. Bandit99
  7. timberwolf50
  8. phorisc
  9. phorisc
  10. AD1
  11. chelloveck
    [MEDIA]