OTC Meds

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by phishi, Aug 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

There has been some talk of meds elsewhere on the board, so I thought I would shead some light on over the counter meds that you may want to have available for a medium to large med kit. All of these are available without presciption at just about any drug store. I will put the generic name first, followed by a brand name, and then some discription of what it can be used for.

Acetaminophen (Tylenol): Used for decreasing pain and fever. It does not reduce swelling, that is why Ibuprofen is also included. It also will not stop blood from clotting, a usefull thing when dealing with wounds. So much so that it is part of the military protocal when dealing with gunshots.

Ibuprofen ( Advil, Midol, Motrin, and others ): Used for decreasing pain and fever. This med will work better IMHO than Acetaminophen on the same pain/fever. However, it will not allow blood to clot. It is also useful for treating swelling that often comes with injuries.

Diphenhydramine (Benadryl): Treats allergy symptoms, motion sickness, nighttime sedation, infant colic, nonproductive cough, and anaphylaxtic reactions (severe reactions to bee stings/allergic reactions to meds or foods-OFTEN CAUSES DEATH). Useful for all of the above, comes in both pill and liquid form. Pill I would use for anything that is not an emergency, liquid I would save for that allergic reaction that is haveing trouble swallowing. While this drug will hold off an allergic reaction, it is only good for a bit. Higher levels of medical care must be seen immediately!

Calcium carbonate (Mylanta): Used for us as an antacid. This can help settle some stomachs and take care of heart burn. Not a bad thing when you don't know what your next meal may be.

Tolnaftate (Tinactin): Used for athlete's foot, jock itch, diaper rash, and other skin irritations that are caused by fungus. Areas that are affected should be allowed to have some fresh, dry air, along with the med. In other words, spray/apply medicine but don't cover with a dressing.

Hydrocortisone cream USP 1%: Used to decrease itching or inflammation on skin's surface. This will help with poison ivy/oak, but won't do anything to treat a fungal infection.

Loperamide (Imodium): Used to treat diarrhea. This is possibly one of the more important drugs here. Diarrhea can lead to dehydration, not a good thing when you are out in the middle of no where. It can also make it impossible for you to bug out more than a few feet at a time. This will stop you up, allowing you to reabsorb some of the water that you would otherwise be losing through your intestinal tract. Be careful that you do not take so much that you over shoot your goal and end up unable to go to the bath room at all.

Docusate calcium (Ex-lax): Used to soften stool or as a laxative. Some people won't go anywhere unless it is their own toilet. That is OK if you are gone for only a few days, but what happens when they are bugging out long term? After a week, things are going to get really backed up. This will help to take care of some of the problem. It also will help when you have over shot your goal concerning diarrhea.

Triple antibiotic ointment (Neosporin): Used for topical treatment of wounds, cuts and scrapes. Rub some on after you clean the cut, and every time you change the bandage there after. It will reduce the chance of infection, and promote faster healing times. It is also one of the few antiinfectives that can be obtained without a script, and that can be used in a prophylactic manner. Meaning that you can prevent an infection from developing and therefore not need an oral antibiotic medicine to keep you healthy. If that's not leaning forward, I don't know what is. b::

Doseages should be printed on a sheet that come with each med. Read and follow these, they are important. Store each medicine as it should be stored and rotate them as the expiration dates indicate. These are not cheap, don't throw away your money, or health, by not heading the advise that comes with them.

To save money, consider buying smaller bottles at frequent intervals. That way when the expiration date occures and you have only used 5 tablets out of a 500 tablet bottle, you are not throwing away the remaining 495. If you bought a 50-100 count bottle every year, you would only be tossing the 95 that you didn't use. This may not work if you are going through a bottle a month (something that I do not recommend), but for long term storage I think its the best method.

Finally, do some research as to if & when to administer these meds. Know why you are giving them. Understand what symptoms the meds are treating and what the underlying illness may be. No one expects you to be a doctor, but if you are handing out pills, you have responsibility to those that are recieving them to understand what may be going on, even if it is only to yourself. You need to know when you are in over your head and need to seek a higher level of medical care. The internet is a great source, but I also think you should consider the Outward Bound Wilderness First Aid Handbook. It is not a substitute for proper training, but is well written, easy to understand, and can get you started.

The rest is up to you.

Phishi

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I would add bag balm also, it is sold at farm supply places for cows udders and at a few other places as well. It is in a green can with red lettering. This stuff is good for anything that you would use vasoline for includeing gualding, but I can personaly atest that it is also EXCELENT for burns. A few months ago I had a brain fart and after seasoning a dutch oven followed the directions that came with it and put it under running water while still hot to clean it, this resulted in second/third degree steam burns across the back of my hand that was holding the bail. The skin literaly melted off instantly. First thing I did was to soak it in cool tap water for a couple of hours and take the strongest pain killers in the house, but after that I tried to put alovera on it and even that hurt so bad I couldnt handle it. I finaly coated it in bag balm and left it unbandaged and washed it and added bag balm a couple times a day. In about 2 weeks it was healed and in less than a month you couldnt even tell it had been burned. I swear by this stuff.
    Another item would be drawing salve, if you ever end up with a boil you will be glad you have it but also it is good for drawing out splinters and such as well as working well on minor scrapes.

3. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Monkeyman, I can't say that I have heard of either, but they sound like something that should be added to the list. I'll be keeping my eyes out for both.

BTK, I don't know how to respond to your post. I've done a limited search for what you described, and turned up little. In the end, it really does not matter. If it seemed to solve your problem, then use it. :p I'll be placeing that info in a small file in my head to be looked into at a later date. It is definately worth considering to use when nothing else does the trick.

Who else has a tid bit to add?

Phishi

4. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

The bagbalm is great stuff.Cheap and effective.It's also good for diaper rash.Any type of skin irritation.

5. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Prid is one brand name for the drawing salve. As far as the bag balm go to any farm and home, TSC, orschelens, or whatever farm/animal supply place, even some of the grocery stores in the city carry it now I think, and look for a green cube shaped can with red and white wrighting, it also has a picture of a cow on it. It was originaly for cows utters when they got stressed from streching and contracting and would start breaking open, wind or sun burned etc. but great for anything to do with the skin.

6. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

1. ED GEiN
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Motomom34
  5. DKR
  6. Oddcaliber
  7. Tempstar
  8. Bandit99
  9. ED GEiN
  10. WolfBrother
  11. Witch Doctor 01
  12. DarkLight