OTC meds

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by Oddcaliber, Apr 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

I'm 59 year's old and don't have any medical problems yet! Do drink coffee and been alcohol free for almost 30 year's. Can take just about anything OTC with no I'll effect. Not on any prescription meds. I don't mind answering personal questions if it's not to personal! LOL

DKR likes this.
  2. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Antibiotics

3. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

I keep a little of everything because you never know what you're going to run into. I even have pediatric versions of popular OTC products even though I have no small children.

Things that are often overlooked:
    • contact lens supplies
    • bee/insect sting medication
    • snake bite kit
    • blood pressure cuff
    • ear bulb
    • foot care/first aid supplies

A good first aid kit is expensive and the drugs need to be replaced as they expire, but that's just the cost of doing business. I think of it as paying an "insurance premium".

In addition to medication, don't forget things like cotton swabs/balls, cause pads, surgical gloves, cold/hot packs, eye dropper, thermometer, hand sanitizer.

I am very lucky to have a doctor and two nurses in my circle (one of them works surgery). They are equipped with medical instruments and prescription drugs that are not available to ordinary civilians.

4. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

I knew I forgot something.

Oddcaliber likes this.
  5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Indeed.

@59 y/o , you should avoid NSAIDs :
    Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin)
    Naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox DS, Naprosyn)
    Celecoxib (Celebrex)

While aspirin is technically an NSAID, the side effects often associated with aspirin toxicity occur at much lower levels/infrequent use of the non-common NSAIDs.. Other side effects, such as stroke, liver damage and blood related issues vary person to person, but generally, age (or, ill health) can exacerbate these issues.

Acetaminophen does not cause the stomach and intestinal ulcers that NSAIDs such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen may cause - but used to excess will damage your liver. Still, it has fewer interaction with other drugs you may take form time to time.

I asked about Green Tea consumption as it has an interaction with multiple drugs, so well worth mentioning to your doctor - tho most seem surprised at the issue set. (see Green Tea: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Dosage, and Warning) This is just one of many 'medical' sites that discuss green tea interactions.

As for other Hurricane meds....
    Items for bugs, blisters, sunburn and skin irritation/minor injury would be good to have.

Good luck, hopefully this will be a year with no impacts from hurricanes...

Oddcaliber likes this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Colloidal silver .
    Learn how to make your own .
    Good for practically all bacterial issues internally and externally .
    IMO, better than penicillin. Bacteria cannot become immune to it.
    If you take it internally it will neutralize ones digestive bacteria , provide your self probiotics/prebiotics ,live yogurt and the like .
    Colloidal silver does not age to my knowledge about the only thing that can happen is freezing in which case the silver is suspended in the ice .
    Since it is made using distilled water there is no worries about what else might be in it certainly nothing bacterial .
    I have given it to a kitten with distemper and she cleared up and survived , I use it on every thing road rash , burns and suspected botulism (food poisoning) .
    For food poisoning before I knew of colloidal silver I have used cider vinegar , and still use it from time to time as a blood thinner for winter time . At least I think that's what it does I am much more comfortable in the winter time then most people and less susceptible to illness as well, due to consuming a little vinegar once in a while . Things like potatoes and beans gave me gas and the cider vinegar does the trick especially if it take a little or add a little to my food while I eat.

Ganado and Oddcaliber like this.
  7. I know Vaseline can be used for chapped lips, but I hate the taste. I'd grab some chap stick, even generic. Also, My late wife worked in pharmacy, she said old analgesics just lose strength, but old antibiotics can go bad and cause harm.

Oddcaliber likes this.
  8. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Read here on shelf life for medications:
    Fish Antibiotics What Specific Types Should One Stockpile Per Person?

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I think they have changed the fish antibiotics. might want to rethink that one

10. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

The FDA changed rules for livestock antibiotics and many now require vet prescription instead of just buying them at the farm store. It didn’t affect ornamental fish antibiotics.

Ganado likes this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Airtime thanks for the clarification [hug}

1. ED GEiN
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Motomom34
  5. DKR
  6. Tempstar
  7. Bandit99
  8. ED GEiN