Other Solar Forum's and Rude People !

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Nadja, Aug 9, 2011.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yes, the Monkey site is one of a Kind. I have posted this before, elsewhere on here, but thought that it would be worth repeating, again for our newer Monkeys.

I am Asst. Chief Moderator over on the Antique Engines Antique Tractors Steam Engines and Old Iron site, and for those looking to repair, replace, or deal with, Generator Sets of ALL MAKES, and Sizes we have a Motor & Generator Forum, with sub-Forums for most of the common Generators from1 Kw on up. We have a GREAT bunch of what we call, "Resident SmartGuys" who mostly are retired now, but have MANY DECADES, of Institutional Knowledge, on Power Generation, that they share freely with our Users. (40+K and growing, World Wide) Smokstak runs the same software as the Monkey, so you will be right at home, should you need some of the expertise available over there. Onan, Kohler, Generac, Sears, Lister, CAT, Perkins, Military, even Buda, and IH, are all well represented. Oh and if you happen to be into "Steam" and Traction Engines, there are forums for those guys as well. .... YMMV....

Nadja, Cephus, hank2222 and 1 other person like this.
  2. beast

beast backwoodsman

yeah its kingfish's fault im here
    you should prolly ban him...lmfao

3. txswfan

txswfan Monkey+

This might be a rookie question, but what do y'all mean by solar?

4. BTPost

Usually "Solar" in the Off-Grid world, means Photovoltaic Panels, charging a Battery Bank, feeding an Inverter that makes household AC Power. Solar can also mean Hot Water makers that use the Sun to make domestic Hot Water.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

My ex BIL had a tracking concentrator on the roof of his house to supplement the hot water heating (a mix of radiators and baseboard) in the (very old farm) house. Direct heat from sun, topped up if needed with the regular boiler. It was piped to selectively heat domestic or radiator water. Dunno if his ex is still using it or not. (She got the house, he got the mortgage.)

I can tell you it worked, entirely too well on at least one occasion, lifted the reliefs on the boiler and scared the snot out of my nephew who was home alone at the time. :D

6. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

To me, Solar is anything utilitizing the power of the Sun. Welcome to the site Beast and TxSwFan Nadja

7. txswfan

txswfan Monkey+

I was just testin you folks about rookies asking dumb questions. Very nice answers. Nadja invited me over. I hope to learn a lot and help out were I can.

8. beast

beast backwoodsman

thanks nadja altho ive been here a while already..bein a PITA at times im sure...lol

9. Nadja

Well, my wife tells me that I am always a pita ! LOL What do wives know anyway ?

hank2222 likes this.
  10. CaboWabo5150

CaboWabo5150 Hell's coming with me

I would just like to say that I happened to stumble upon this site within the last couple of weeks, and have been reading some of the past posts that you gent's have created... Some of the best information I could have hoped to stumble across.. I haven't really had to ask many questions yet, because it's all already here.. I haven't read into too many posts yet, just some of the ones that catch my attention.. But I have got to say that you guys are some of the most polite posters I've ever found.. Sure everybody's having a little fun poking at each other a little here and there.. But no rudeness at all... I feel that I could ask just about any question on here and get an honest answer, without the attitude you get other places..

And another reason I like this site... If this is the most polite site... And an armed society is a polite society... This must be just about the most well armed site.. I LIKE it !!!

Sapper John and hank2222 like this.
  11. BTPost

Ask away.... You can't get answers unless you ask questions... and many here have the ability to answer any questions that are asked. So, go for it....

12. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

a little knowage about a subect can be good thing or a bad thing depending on the subect and one reply's to the subect of the post ..

Like most people here we have diff need's when it come's to the basic power need's in there place and our system are design for that basic need's to power one retreat or home

13. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

While I'm sure a rather large number the Monkeys here have Arsenals that would make Sarah Brady have a heart attack, the most powerful weapon of all is Knowledge. An since every monkey is different having had different experiences, careers & learning, we Monkeys are all arming each other with Knowledge more powerful than Darth Vader's Death Star!!! [wannamesswitme]

As a result, God help those that come after a Monkey in his/her Tree/Compound. They can't kill the power, starve us out, or assault a Monkey without feeling the repercussions. An just think, that'd be against one Single Monkey. Imagine having to do it against Thousands of Monkeys!!! muahahahahaha I suspect they would surrender rather than accept that Task!

CaboWabo5150 and hank2222 like this.
  14. Nadja

Us Monkey type's are affraid of guns. They hurt and kill don't you know. We are all tree huggers till the end ! LOL

hank2222 likes this.
  15. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

True, we throw coconuts & bananas ;)

CaboWabo5150, hank2222 and Nadja like this.
  16. CaboWabo5150

CaboWabo5150 Hell's coming with me

Like I said... Polite.. [coo]

Acquiring knowledge is what I'm here for... And just to hang out..

As far as Sarah Brady goes.. Well officer I did have a few "hunting" rifles, and shotguns.. Well, yeah some of them were black.. Ohh.. those registered handguns ? Ohh, officer, all that stuff was stolen from me just last night... ;)

[alllies]

BTPost and hank2222 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7