Our Next Farm Project: Beekeeping

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Well, we have cows (another calf should be born in about 9 months), chickens, ducks, fish in the pond, and aquaponics. (Going to expand to other livestock, too. I happened to find sheep here, today. But, that's another topic.) Anyway, I have been putting off - a mistake on my part, setting up a couple of bee hives. (Prices are going up here in Cambodia, due to beekeeping becoming more popular, and fast!)

So, over the past month or so, I have been gathering up parts and accessories needed to help me raise those little guys, err - gals. Me?! Raise them?! Well, you know what I mean. Just sit by, while they make themselves, and me, some honey.

Anyway, I have most everything necessary to start up my first hive. I should have my bees by the end of this week - if all goes well anyway. Oh, this will be my first beekeeping venture. Standard Langstroth hives.

So, any other [coo]'s have hives?

2. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

1st bees this year - Top Bar hive

Gator 45/70 and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

My hives swarmed on the same day last year and the remaining bees were taken by hive moths. I have frozen the hives but will have to replace all my racks before introducing new swarms. I just finished off my last 5 gallons of honey and it's time to replace them.

4. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

I don't know a lot about beekeeping, primarly from what I have seen others do, and from my research online. But, it is my understanding they do not swarm far from their previous location, generally? If so, were you not able to capture the swarms again?

5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have managed to capture previous swarms and put them into new hives but for some reason that time, both swarmed to a tree top. As an aside, you can modify a nuk-box to take a shop vac in-line, makes it much easier to recover a swarm.

Cruisin Sloth and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  6. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I put out empty hives with some frames fron other hives in them, spacing them about 20 feet from the other hives and have caught swarms that way.. Bee's like where other bee's have been.. This year I have had a small bear or ? pulling the empty hives apart. Have not bothered the active hives.. YET!

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
    A total game changer!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 5, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 2, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
  6. Alanaana
    Media

New_digs

I think they approved of their new digs.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    I 3D printed dome connectors
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 4 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Another quail dome after dark.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 5 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
    Media

Baby_quail

Welcome to the world, Little One!
  10. Alanaana
    Media

Feeding_time

Quails!
  11. Alanaana
    Media

Flock

Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 2 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
    Everyone loves a room with a good view!
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
    These quail egg clippers are a game changer!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
  17. Alanaana
    Media

First_eggs

I was so thrilled to find that first set of eggs!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  18. Alanaana
    Media

Free_range

It was a dream come true to have a free-range flock!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 2 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  19. Alanaana
  20. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7