Outbacker mobile antennas

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Marvin L. Steinhagen, Feb 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Has anyone had any experience with Outbacker mobile HF antennas? Haven't found any domestic retailer. Has anyone ordered from overseas?

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Google it, I found a reference at the Alpha Delta site.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

They are as good as any HF Mobile Antenna.... You just can not get an efficient Mobile HF Antenna, but this one os as good as most others.. They are used a lot, as HF Antennas, on Helio-Choppers up here in Alaska... Seem to be OK, as they do work...

4. sourdough145

sourdough145 Holder of the M1 thumb award...

Good as any... Prefer Hamsticks (mono band) with a good matching balun for lower bands. Use two 16 inch stiff copper wires spread at 45deg facing back from where steel whip goes into fiberglass as cap hat for 80 meters to help matching/bandwidth problems. I like to use the higher freq antenna and whip extension on the road for a little longer radiator (i.e: 15mtr on 17mtr etc.). Pretty tall on a high side mount on a econoline van! Really worked though... Kenwood TS50 with AT50 tuner mounted at antenna entrance. YMMV 73's

Tevin likes this.
  5. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

As the others have suggested, there are no real "good" mobile HF antennas, just varying degrees of mediocre. There is only so much you can expect with the given space limitations.

I agree with @sourdough145 that ham sticks are a great option. They are simple, inexpensive, and offer a lot of bang for the buck.

sourdough145 likes this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

When I had the "Pig" ('55 Dodge PowerWagon PanelTruck) part of the Gear in the back was a Bottle of Helium & Wx Ballon, and a Hand Grinder with 300ft of Aircraft Antenna Wire spooled on it... This was the best Portable Antenna I ever used... You just fill the Ballon, and spooled out the Grinder while watching the SWR with about 10Watts CW... When the Dip came you locked the Grinder and were ready to go... Doesn't work for Mobile very well, or in a windy area...

VisuTrac and sourdough145 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7