Outhouses

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Motomom34, Apr 1, 2015.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

My Grandfather, was a skilled carpenter, and the outhouse was all there was at the farm. So to keep the women folk happy, it was not a box with a hole and a door, it was a work of art, with lanterns, a book shelf, and all the comforts he could add like insulation, and gingerbreading in the eves.
    It was built on runners, so the tractor could just hitch up and towit to a new pit as needed.
    And as it was ornate, he took a ribbing from time to time, but the worst problem was that kids would roll it over every Halloween. (They though it was hilarious, like cow tipping)
    Keep in mind that the only light came from the moon, and the farm house, so they would always approach from the shadow side of the outhouse, shove it over, and run off into the darkness, laughing their a$$es off. One night. It caught fire, from one of the lanterns breaking.
    My Grandfather was pissed. So the next Halloween, he moved the outhouse, just after dark. He repositioned it just a few feet forward, toward the farmhouse, and left the open pit behind it.
    After, full dark, here comes the pack of fools, charging from the backside, like a pack of lemmings, and just short of that promised thrill, the very earth betrayed them, and the whole pack of fools went swimming.
    He never had another problem after word got around.

madmax, 3M-TA3, chelloveck and 3 others like this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

So you don't put ash on in layers to make it last longer?

I'm just asking.. Girl scout counselor during summer camp in college... We had to close the lids and doors or the squirrels would crawl in and once a week put ash from fires in the hole to keep oder down

@kellory that made laugh... We did something similar at Halloween with giant pumpkins.... Only my grand mother coated 100 pumpkin in lard.... So funny watching them try to pick up that pumpkin and get all that grease on them

Tully Mars and kellory like this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Lol, Never jack with an old man or his outhouse!!!

Tully Mars, Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Never considered until now, Perhaps I will start with the ash's.

5. kellory

@Yard Dart this one does not work.

6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Ashes do the work? Or I do think work...?

7. kellory

Sorry for the confusion. The link you made, when "tagging" me, did not function, and I mentioned it in the shoutbox. @Yard Dart tagged me elsewhere, and it worked. So I tagged him here, saying that this tag did fail (to figure out why it did not function).
    Clear as mud yet?;)

Ganado likes this.
  8. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Well, @kellory and @Yard Dart, did you pay for your tags yet this year? [sarc1]

Sorry, couldn't resist. No, seriously, I'm actually really sorry (but I'm not sorry enough to change it or delete the post).

chelloveck, Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  9. kellory

On, we got his tags, but still need his shots updated....[LMAO]

Ganado likes this.
  10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

This thread is crap!

lol....Back to the grill'n

Motomom34, Brokor and Ganado like this.
  11. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

If SHTF....it may pay to harden your crapper....because clap board won't stop crap...or lead. A covered approach to your crapper would be a desireable feature....once you're seated...you'd make a pretty stationary target.

Tully Mars, 3M-TA3 and oldawg like this.
  12. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

I did mine the same way Gator.

13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

You shot your outhouse? Rofl

14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

No, Chell only wishes that his country had Snow like that....

Yard Dart and Tully Mars like this.
  15. kellory

So mail him some....[winkthumb]

16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We do not have any this winter... RightHand would be very Happy, to send him, some of hers, I am sure...

Tully Mars, Gator 45/70 and kellory like this.
  17. zeker

zeker Monkey+

in winter my composting toilet freezes up and the outhouse is too cold for these old bones.
    I heat with wood..

a grocery bag (plastic) is placed in the bowl of the toilet and a few newspapers at the btm of the bag. this is not for urine.

do your business and toss the bag into the woodstove.

the woodstove runs from oct til april and all deposits get incinerated within an hr.

18. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

That's hot sh*t man... (said with a Cheech or Chong accent)

oldawg and Tully Mars like this.
  19. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

Oh man! My wife and I were cracking up reading this. We've been there done that. Cat hole squat, bored hole squat, Porta Potty, outhouse, bucket and bag, bucket and kitty litter, ammo can, and an tiny RV head that you couldn't shut the door sitting down. Which was real nice for anybody sitting at the table that you could reach out and touch it from the throne. LMAO!!!

Don't even get me started on the desert "smear" technique.

Oh yeah, and when I blew my knee out and went on a primitive camp anyway and could only get halfway down. I had to deboot and depants in order to not drop a deuce in my pocket. Next few camps as I slowly healed, I had to employ the go and roll 'cause I couldn't get up from down there except from my knees.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    chelloveck likes this.
  20. Leeuhhh

Leeuhhh Monkey

For now we are using a bucket and saw dust. We are only there on the weekend during the day right now, though. We will eventually build a legit outhouse. Lol.

1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Thunder5Ranch
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. 3M-TA3
  10. Legion489
  11. Jandebor93
  12. 3M-TA3