Outhouses

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Motomom34, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I was looking at composting outhouse. (I know not a popular topic but its a hole in my preps) pun intended and I came across this idea

Hack a Toilet for free water.
    [​IMG]

I realize this is a good idea in theory and great for hand washing but I just don't think I can flush the toilet and brush my teeth. Things would have to be pretty bad for me to use this.

Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

chelloveck likes this.
  3. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

My neighbors outhouse:

[​IMG]
    It doesn't get any more "out" than that. Lol.

And my outhouse with the Greatful Dead theme (previous owner but I like it):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great view if the snow isn't too deep:

[​IMG]

4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I do love art in all the wrong places =) [lolol][touchdown][LMAO]

Dont likes this.
  5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]
    When its too cold to go outside, you go inside.

While a 20 MM ammo can, plastic bag and some cardboard will work, this (PETT by Cleanwaste inc) is the far better choice.

I tell people, when its -20F outside, you get your reading done before hand... If you have an invalid with limited mobility - these can make a good commode - and this holds a 500 pound body... The bag has a powder that reduces odor. With lid closed, reportlyu no oror at all. We'll picking up one this weekend for my new to me EVC camper.

see GO anywhere portable toilet®/the PETT® | Cleanwaste Products for the full story.

6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I noticed that some folks are using 5 gallon buckets.... consider getting a cheap pool noodle... ct the noodle length ways and measure the circumference of you pail.. trim the noodle to fit and Volia... a comfy toilet seat for a buck (the dollar store or dollar tree)...

Motomom34 and Dont like this.
  7. DKR

[​IMG]

or buy a commercial product
    [​IMG]

or something with a wider 'seat'

[​IMG]

8. DKR

[​IMG]
    or the Bumper dumper for those with a trailer hitch....

9. DKR

[​IMG]
    you are still going to want some commercial toilet paper..... Stock up now.

10. DKR

[​IMG]
    I used to see these on my travels. Great fun, eh? The flys are just a bonus.

11. DKR

[​IMG]
    not an old Roman facility - this is the current loo for a So African boy's school

Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  12. DKR

[​IMG]
    welcome to India - no, this is a salesroom!

chelloveck likes this.
  13. DKR

[​IMG]
    Student-designed pit toilet was on display in Washington, DC.

A Michigan Tech senior design team has built a better pit toilet, one with improved ventilation, odor control and user acceptability. For Earth Day, they loaded it up and hauled it to the National Sustainability Design Expo on the Mall in Washington, D.C., where they won an honorable mention in the US Environmental Protection Agency’s P3 (People, Prosperity and the Planet) Student Design Competition.

The interdisciplinary team previously won a $10,000 grant from the EPA for their pit toilet proposal and spent the year designing and building a model. More than 100 teams applied, and the EPA chose 42, who were invited to exhibit their inventions at the sixth annual Sustainability Expo April 23-25 in the nation’s capital.

chelloveck likes this.
  14. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

She's doing it wrong!!! Must be a newbie to squat holes.

15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I use to work in ski areas and they would put portable out houses on the slopes for the public to use ,beyond those a the base buildings, typically though the foreigners would use them standing on the seat and leaving a mess all over the seats. they were disgusting.

1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Thunder5Ranch
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. 3M-TA3
  10. Legion489
  11. Jandebor93
  12. 3M-TA3