Over packing? - #1. The Fire Kit

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Joe13, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Joe13

Joe13 Monkey

Sup y'all,

I mentioned that I was a natural over packer in my intro and was asked to expand on that, so after thinking about it a bit it seemed like it would keep things more on topic and focused if I broke my pack down into kits.

The below is an example of what I would take out hunting; I go prepared for a week to 2 just incase I go way in and get hurt. If I didn't mark my trail it could take days to find me in the forest I hunt in. A day hike and I would only prepare for 1 or 2 nights out tops.

The list (all in a waterproof container):

-Zippo (easy to light with cold hands and stays lit - I always top off the fuel before I leave).
    -Bic Lighter (gas doesn't evaporate).
    -Long burning weatherproof matches.
    -Fero rod w/magnesium
    -Carbon striker (My knife is carbon based but coated so no exposed metal if possible)
    -Char tin with cloth
    -Wax and dryer lint fire starters (home made)
    -Dryer Lint
    -Small tender (generally just in really bad weather to help dry the wet wood

-(not IN the kit but I always take extra ammo and gun powder can take a spark pretty good if all else fails).

I can almost always find something dry but in my area of SW WA there is a good possibility that I will have to work with damp branches.

So there ya go, I realize I have 4 option for both starting fire and helping fire start. BUT from my experiences both professional and self education thru trial and error that even if I have nothing other then a way to keep the rain off me and a fire - I can sit it out for days.

No fire, to me, makes for a miserable night.
    It also takes away some of my water purification options as well as cooking.

I am positive I can make fire with any of these methods but I like lots of options.

Feel free to comment or critique - I've come back from some long hikes looking for game deep in the bush and just start unloading anything redundant.

Maybe I should add I hunt about 30 min from the nearest land line and about 50 min (these are driving distances from camp) from cell phone coverage.

Tully Mars, Meat and Withak like this.
  2. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

Gees I thought it was only me that did this.
    I seem to always have more then I need and always have several ways to stay warm.
    I remember one night in the C.A.P. we were left out I thought id be smart and bring a lighter.
    It was damp, wet and well I near froze my butt off then as would happen I got my socks wet was a dork and brought only one.
    I had brought a bunch of firstaid and cooking packed in but when it came to fire I thought id need one lighter ( grrr ) never again
    good post made me recall that cold wet night of not being prepared,

Tully Mars, chelloveck and Joe13 like this.
  3. Olympic mountain man

Olympic mountain man just a lonely cook

I always stay over prepared lol went and hit the trails with my jeep and broke it real good lol and had to get left on the trail while my buddys went back to town for parts and my other buddy was trying to start a fire and he burnt my lighter out but had a smolder so I gave him my cologne and a match and he had a ripping fire in no time lol just have to think outside the box :)

4. Joe13

Joe13 Monkey

Hand sanitizer like purel are mostly alcohol and will get you a flame pretty fast too - never thought or have brought cologne though.

You wanting to smell pretty for some reason :whistle::rolleyes:.

:p

5. Olympic mountain man

lol I drive my jeep to work it usaly is a daily driver and I work in sales so I keep cologne in the glove box

Joe13 likes this.
  6. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

Used to pack a lot of fire starting stuff until I learned to build fires with bow and hand drills by friction. Now I just pack a lighter and a few waterproof matches for a emergency quick fire, but really enjoy the challenge of finding natural materials and using primitive friction methods to get my regular campfire built.

Meat, chelloveck, Joe13 and 1 other person like this.
  7. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

Where I'm at if a fire is needed, it's needed ASAP.

My fire kit:

1. Darrel Holland Lighting Strike fire starter

2. Road flare.

8. Withak

Withak Monkey

I also tend to over pack when it comes to stuff like this. Each of these items is very lightweight and I see no reason to limit yourself when it comes to fire making gear. It may save your life depending on the conditions, I'll stack the deck in my favor as much as I can.

Joe13 likes this.
  9. Olympic mountain man

it is also a good idea to hone your bushcraft skills because there is always what if

10. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Looks like a smart kit to me. I also live in a wet area, and fire is bs to get running right. "Squaw wood" is you friend.

Olympic mountain man and Joe13 like this.
  11. Olympic mountain man

just remember you can warm your tender bundle and dry it out under your coat or shirt and you can always find pitch

Joe13 likes this.
  12. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Under your coat? Do that out here, and you'll take your damp tinder and make it soaked tinder! Haha.

Joe13 likes this.
  13. Olympic mountain man

your wearing the wrong coat lol

Joe13 likes this.
  14. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

If I'm wearing a coat at all, I'll probably be dyin from heat exhaustion and dehydration. Haha.

Joe13 likes this.
  15. Joe13

Joe13 Monkey

Maybe but when I'm out of shape I'll sweat even when I'm cold as can be while hiking - gotta loose this gut...

v0lcom13sn0w likes this.
  16. Olympic mountain man

there are ways lol remember you don't want to sweat layer your clothing

17. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

we used to include the trick birthday candles... if you can lite it you will have a fire fairly soon...

18. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I see nothing "wrong" with your list. I use the first four on your list. I try and carry cedar bark and like you mentioned a bottle of hand sanitizer is always in our packs with a larger bottle in each vehicle-comes with marrying a nurse:D

Joe13 and Olympic mountain man like this.
  19. Olympic mountain man

Lol just looked at where you are from

Joe13 likes this.
  20. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Yeah. I know how to make fire here, though, and that's what matters.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2016
    Joe13 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7