Over packing? - #1. The Fire Kit

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Joe13, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Olympic mountain man

Olympic mountain man just a lonely cook

Lol

2. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Trunk Monkey

in my overnight/ 3 day pack i carry a first aid kit, two liters of water, extra ammo, a waterproof flashlight, a life straw, a couple lighters,waxed floss, braided nylon twine, flagging tape,550 cord, a bandana, knives, 2 compasses (im a youngin at 28 and i'll be damned if i didnt know how to use a compass. Damn, some kids these days cant do ANYTHING) my garmin gps with extra batteries my iphone with offline topo maps and an extra battery pack, a folding saw,usually 3 or 4 cliff bars, whiskey, gold bond powder and i know in forgetting a few things... my pack is like 25lbs.

my day pack for a morning/afternoon hunt in an area where i am no more than 2 miles from camp is first of all way lighter of a pack has just about all the same stuff shoved in it. but is much much lighter. like 12 pounds or so.

in the months leading up to hunting i train with my heavy pack on. usually on my elliptical and treadmill.

damn, im ready to go bow hunt.

Joe13 likes this.
  3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

As a wee lad, I learned to make fire with flint & Steel, a bow drill and a magnifying glass.

I now carry matches, a ferorod and a steel, But as noted earlier, for when you need a fire right now, not much beats a road flare....

I cook with a stove rather than a campfire. That way I can eat a hot meal in the rain....

DuxDawg likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7