Over-rated Buck knives

Discussion in 'Blades' started by timberwolf50, Feb 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I am bummed I lost my almost forty year old 110.

2. timberwolf50

timberwolf50 Just be practical Banned

AD1 - u said it best 50 years ago there were only a few knife makers. Now Buck can not keep up with manufacturing (hand made is dead), example: schrade knives closed its doors in 2003. The schrade knife today is really (taylor brand) not. Old schrade made old timer, uncle hendry (uncle hendry had a lost protection can you believe that). To me, American made go to knife is Gerber or SOG. Here is a short list of brand that the name was bought.
    1. Schrade (is taylor brand)
    2. Winchester (has to do with the gun
    3. Smith and wesson (again has nothing to with the gun make)
    The knife maker just bought the name.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  3. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I've had a Buck 119 since the 80's. I can't get a decent edge on it either. That's not saying much though. When I try to sharpen any knife, it ends up worse than when I started.

4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

If you use a grinder to sharpen knives, you had best have a light touch, or you can damage the heat treat/ temper of the steel if it gets too hot.
    However, I know a chrome polisher in California who could put an edge on ANYTHING sharp enough to shave with, by using a buffing wheel, and metal polish. He did so as a sideline from his main business of polishing all those shiny bits people require for all those showcars, boats, bikes, ect.

5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I'll keep my USA made Buck knives.
    Thank You

Line Dawg likes this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

That would depend on the "Grit" of the Grinding Stone..... I know a Master BladeSmith, that has an Agate Stone Wheel, on his Grinder, that he uses to put the Finish Edge, on some of his Knives....

Brokor likes this.
  7. kellory

No, not grit, but heat. The finer the grit the better the edge, but heat will damage the metal structure of that edge. A light touch will do nicely, while bearing down will cause destruction. Heat will both improve or destroy metal depending upon use.

8. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I am the first to admit I am not an expert, but my experience (all I have since I have never studied metallurgy) has taught me that the biggest factors in avoiding overheating is the speed of the wheel and the amount of time it is against the wheel between "rests". I have a wheel on my bench powered by a motor from a rotisserie with a fine grain wheel and a removable leather cover. I can't explain the science, but it has worked well for me for many years...YMMV

9. kellory

Correct, you don't let the metal approach the temp that would damage the temper. (A light touch)
    @Bear could quote the metallurgy but the basics are you need a surface hard enough to take and keep a fine edge, but a core soft enough to not be brittle. It is not the same metal throughout, but a scientific altering of the metal's structure, in different ways at different points. Heat is one of these processes, and heat can destroy it as well.

10. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

What is wanted for knives is a differential heat treat. The edge is fully hardened and the spine is drawn back or made softer.

11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

As long as you remember the limitations of your steel, you will be fine. Not every steel is the same.

Kellory's point about overheating reminds me of a time when I used to make and finish gun parts for a certain weapon manufacturer who shall remain unnamed. Against the buffing wheel, the steel can really heat up over time. Of course, it won't ruin the temper unless it goes beyond the temper threshold, which can vary by steel, but I imagine the stainless varieties could be effected around 300F plus over extended periods. Usually tempered steels (which can vary) are baked (tempered) around 400 after the final heat treat. Although it probably won't harm a larger blade where the heat can distribute faster, the finer and smaller edges of a pocket knife could get rather scorched on a buffing wheel. Without an actual Rockwell hardness tester, I don't know how one would go about accurately measuring the effects, though. It's not exactly a cheap piece of equipment to have just laying around in the garage.

Knife sharpening information here at the Survival Monkey

12. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Unfortunately, some manufacturers have moved operations over-seas, and quality suffered as a result. Some also have part of their line, usually those items at a lower price point, made over-seas while continuing to make the balance here in the US. One can usually see the difference, which is why I tend to purchase the ones made here, regardless of brand.

In my 30+ years of experience with Buck knives, they have never failed me. This includes a couple of 110s, a 119, and a handful of assorted smaller pocket knives. All tools have a specific purpose, and I choose the one I will use accordingly. This choice is made daily, dependant on what is planned for the day.

On any given day, I will have three knives on my person: the tiny six tool swiss army knife, for cleaning fingernails, tightening a small screw, etc. My pocket-clipped folder, which right now, is a Kershaw Blur. Assisted opening is lightening quick....opens with authority, blade is a tanto. Lastly is the fixed blade. Lately this happens to be the Buck Reaper model...a US made, 6in blade of razor sharp beauty.

I guess my point to all of this is this: our opinions are usually formed from experience or first hand knowledge, and therfore valuable to us, and maybe others. It's not right or wrong, just what we know to be true. Continue to choose your tools based on your needs and wants. Most importantly: take care of your tools and they will serve you well.

Edit: A note on sharpening
    Some blades, either by design or material, will take an edge more readily than others. Regardless, it is much easier to maintain and edge than it is to restore one.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    HK_User and Bear like this.
  13. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Buck hasn't made a good fixed blade knife since the 60s.

14. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Yup, that's the only one that is really good.

Let me know if you don't find yours, I'll send you my spare.

Still and all I prefer a small fixed blade Bagwell.

GrayGhost likes this.
  15. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT GHOST MONKEY

First I'd like to address the thickness issue. I own a Cold Steel Trailmaster that is 5/16 thick and sharp as any razor
    Next the issue with Bucks just not taking a good edge. From 1981 to 1992 Buck used 425M which (in my opinion, is the same as one of the most worthless steels out there :440A) It will take a somewhat decent edge and hold it for about one usage. In 1993 Buck changed to 420HC (a good steel used by many of the big name makers). And they now employ one of the best Heat Treaters in the Industry, Paul Farner, who took over in 2010 but had the advantage of using the technology conceived by Master Heat Treater, Paul Bos (who is currently a Buck consultant).
    In short, I think some Buck Knives are decent knives and some are pure crap.

P.S. I hate Buck Knives and wouldn't own one if you paid me to take it.
    For me.....Long Live ESEE, MORA and CONDOR.........

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2016
  16. svjoe

svjoe Angry Monkey

Got a Buck 110 I have had for over 30yrs. Tossed it into the toolbox about 6 years ago and forgot about it until the other day. Don't know what got on/in(WD-40 maybe or some other solvent) it, but now the blade is pitted to death!! Useless knife unless Buck still honors their lifetime guarantee.

17. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT GHOST MONKEY

Let us know what Buck says.

18. Line Dawg

Line Dawg Monkey+

I have quite a few Buck knives. Here are 3 110's from different periods. The one on top is from the mid 70's, the one in the middle is a safety award from the mid 80's, (Buck just replaced the worn down blade) and the one on the bottom I purchased a couple of years ago. I EDC the newest one as it's much easier to put an edge on. Granted, it doesn't retain it's edge like the older models, but it will do anything I ask of it. I have always been a fan of Buck Knives and always will be. image.

Yard Dart, Brokor and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

I have two 110's from the mid 70's and they are good knives. Not as strong as fixed blade knives though.

I prefer Kabars and any Bowie made from good tough steel.

Jim

20. hammerdrop99

hammerdrop99 Monkey+++

I have a 119 that I acquired in the 70's and like the OP had a difficult time sharpening. Once sharp it has held a great edge. It is a heavy duty blade and not one I carry often, but gets the job done when needed. As for ease of sharpening, I have recently gotten a Ken Onion Worksharp and have not found a blade that I cannot get a razor edge on. Once the edge is set, all you need is a couple of quick pulls with the polishing belt and your back in business.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. SB21
  2. Seawolf1090
  3. GrayGhost
  4. Oddcaliber
  5. Jsharp865
  6. stg58
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7