Over-rated Buck knives

Discussion in 'Blades' started by timberwolf50, Feb 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Not to get in to the Ford vs Chevy fight, but I agree, most knives ARE too thick. A knife is a cutting tool. If you want an ax, get an ax, or hatchet, or even machete, but leave knives out of it. The reason knives are so thick is people demand axes that look like knives. One of the best all around knives I ever saw and my go to knife for years was a butcher knife with the blade thinned way down. No, it was not a modern bush-man cut down trees knife, but it was a perfect skinner/butcher/kitchen using knife.

Oltymer and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

I agree that most newer knife blades are too thick, a belt knife should be thin enough to slice bread and scale & fillet fish. The Mountain Men used Green River brand no hilt butcher knives, which are very similar to the more modern Old Hickory butcher knives. They considered these the most desirable blade a person living in the outdoors could have and they spent more time living in the outdoors than the folks who make and market the thick bladed knives now so prevalent amongst modern outdoorsmen.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Something to keep in mind, modern steel advancements have created a niche for a "do-it-all" methodology, as heat treatment and steel develops, we will continue to see more non-traditional applications for knives. Granted, there's no such thing as one, perfect steel since there will always be limitations, but it is important to recognize these changes, too. However, I am the kind of guy who also prefers to use an axe like an axe, and keep my knife around for cutting and carving.

Oltymer and Line Dawg like this.
  1. SB21
  2. Seawolf1090
  3. GrayGhost
  4. Oddcaliber
  5. Jsharp865
  6. stg58
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7