Over-The-Counter Survival Meds

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by Jonas Parker, Aug 4, 2007.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

2. casey

casey Monkey+

I use it everyday as my aftershave... I do get the occasional nicks using a 1960 Gillette Fatboy with Arrow blades.

3. IWS

IWS Monkey+

I keep Tylenol PM instead of Benadryl. Sleep aid and allergy relief in one.

Alan

4. mam14225

mam14225 Monkey+

dramamine (dimenhydrinate) is broken down in the liver into diphenhydramine (benadryl). They both cause lasting drowsiness, but will not always will help you stay asleep. Diphenydramine is great for allergies, but I'd hate to use it for weeks or months at a time. I use loratidine (generic Claritin). It is much weaker, but has an additive effect if you take it consistently over days to weeks. It does not cause drowsiness. The side effects are almost non-existent. Get the generic loratidine at Walmart, otherwise it can be more expensive.

Did anyone mention Zeasorb AF powder? It is a topical antifungal and gives the added benefit of a moisture removing powder. I've actually had a tough case of athletes foot that prescription clotrimazole could not defeat, but this stuff worked. It can also be used as a preventative for recurrent infections due to long hours of having shoes / boots on.

5. casey

casey Monkey+

This is an interesting article... thanks! I just went and looked to see that the bottle of witch hazel I have is from Dickinson's of East Hampton. Should of expected it to be since East Hampton is the only supplier of witch hazel for the world.

6. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

You might want to check your facts because you are dead wrong. Both are anti-inflamatories. [beat]

BWM

7. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Only OTC stuff I really stock up on is ibuprofen and peroxide(I learned that hydrogen peroxide, standard household 2.5% or 3% mixed with equal parts water, given 1 tablespoon of mixture per 10lbs of weight is a dog emetic). My mother and I both have alot of health problems, and no prescription drugs really work for us(for me, my body will adjust to new medication and develop an allergy to it), yet herbal pills consistently work, plus for the storebought echinacea and garlic pills I take, it's only $5 for a month's supply. No luck so far growing my own echinacea(gonna keep trying though), and I buy garlic pills cause they're odor-free.

8. bob2231

bob2231 Monkey+

I recently went on a pretty serious blood thinner due to a blood clot,and was strongly advised to get some Celox and keep it with me all the time.It's a clotting agent that works independently of the body's system.It comes in different applications,powder,pre-applied to gauze etc.They have a web site that explains it all.
    I'm trying to find a house brand at Walmart,Walgreen's,CVS so that I can get it cheaper but no luck so far.
    Bob

9. Toad

Toad Monkey+

I have a camphor tree in my back yard which grow all over the south & are known for health properties. If you live in the south you might want to check out the health properties for your self.

10. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Monkey+++

Don't worry about antifungals if you are planning on using them for athlete's foot or jock itch. Your own urine works better than anything you can buy. Plus, it's free, sterile, and great fertilizer too. I use it almost every day prophylactically and, despite wearing stuffy boots almost every day, I haven't had athlete's foot in 12 years. You don't have to tell anyone, but next time you get the itch, try it for two days.

11. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Read up on Natokinase - it has some properties you might see as useful for blood clots. It costs a minimal amount.

Also, aspirin has blood-thinning properties and it's very inexpensive and readily available. Evidently, Willow bark has similar thinning properties, and it's available at health/vitamin stores; could be a more natural treatment if you don't handle aspirin well (plus you could learn how to process it from any willow trees in the area).

12. BigZ

BigZ Monkey+++

This is also usefull in combatting nausea that may be induced by some of the stronger pain meds you may have on hand.

13. craneje

craneje Monkey+

A standard aspirin tablet is 325 mg (5 grains), the ideal dose to avoid heart attack is 81 mg (1 1/4 gr.) daily. You can buy this dose in regular and enteric coated forms.

14. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

There is some mis-information in this thread:

"All urine is sterile, thus, carries no germs" is a myth. Once urine comes in contact with the urethra and exits, it's going to pick up any nasty bacteria along the way (e.g., urinary tract infection, chlamydia, gonorrhea, mycoplasma). Additionally, you can have a bladder infection (cystitis) or even a kidney infection, which will have bacteria. The whole system is ingenious though--it is designed to allow urine to wash bacteria out of the body...and when this happens, where is the bacteria that was washed out?...in your "sterile" urine.

Aspirin, also known as acetylsalicylic acid, is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Ibuprofen was derived from it. Both products are cyclooxygenase inhibitors in addition to being an antipyretic. Cyclooxygenase (COX) is an enzyme (*-ase tells us this) that causes swelling. People who are allergic to aspirin cannot take ibuprofen as well. Both are stomach irritants.

A note of caution: "baby aspirin" is not for babies. It could cause Reye's syndrome, which can be fatal. Acetaminophen and ibuprofen can be used for toddlers in an alternating fashion (or combined for really high fevers resulting from maladies like roseola). For a year or less, only use acetaminophen. Acetaminophen is processed by the liver, ibuprofen the kidneys. So, obviously, if you or your baby were jaundiced, you wouldn't want to take/give them acetaminophen.

I would also urge you to be skeptical of everything I have written and ask a doctor for his opinion on any question you have about aspirin or sterile pee.

15. copreppermom

copreppermom High Country Mom

A good expectorant, mucinexx, regular robitussien, etc, is good to keep. Can potentially help ward off pnemonia by making coughing much more productive and fluid build-up in lungs to a minimum in a respiratory type illness.

16. beast

beast backwoodsman

aspirin originally comes from willow cambium, one is a processed chemical form
    one isnt
    vinegar and garlic are great to keep for meds, easier to replace in TEOW
    as far as moderation goes, use common sense, everything is deadly when overused
    i remember reading about some woman here in the us that killed herself
    by drinking too much water
    her cells became overly turgid and exploded
    the biggest prob with meds is our dependency on them
    as soon as somethin hurts, we pop pills
    we dont learn to adapt to the pain, we dont learn to work with it
    we just want instant fixes so we dont have to feel discomfort
    sorry, but as i see it, humans are weak minded fools in this regard
    stop any bleeding, yes
    keep wounds clean, definitely
    prevent infections, for damned sure
    but learn to do it at close to nature as you can