Panning for gold

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by MountainMariner, May 17, 2016.

1. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

So let's say you go panning for gold in a creek bed and find some on your very first gold panning quest. When you go to sell that gold what questions are asked or gov forms to fill out, if any???

2. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

should not be any questions. Tell me where the spot is so I can check it out ohno

Look up Selling Placer Gold
    What to do with Your Gold

3. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

I have all the correct forms that you need, but first what kind of gold is it, we will need to know that first before anything.

Fools Gold is the easiest to find and it is not worth your money to get it assayed.... Sorry!

Rancher

4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

5. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I hope you struck it rich! :)

There's gold in the creek right outside my deck. There's even mining claims further upstream. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I want to find a knowledgeable person to show me the ins and outs of panning. I learn best by seeing and doing.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

One of many how to vids.

7. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Well thankee kindly @ghrit.

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If it was on State Land in Alaska, you owe the State a Royalty.... Check with DNR Mineral Rights Division... If on Federal Land, you need to check with BLM, and see if you are on someone else's Claim... If. So you owe the the Gold found. If it is OPEN Land, then you need to file a Legal Claim, ASAP... Before someone else beats to to it... In either case you will owe the FEDs a Royalty....

MountainMariner likes this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Play your cards close.
    Bury your gold deep.
    Think the thread should be deleted.

GOG and stg58 like this.
  10. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

melt it down and make dory bars out of it been in the family a long time hint hint.

Mountainman, AD1 and stg58 like this.
  11. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

That's what I figured.

12. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Only if I had a gold bearing stream next to my shack in the hill's.. Have the small equipment to take advantage of it however.. Maybe I should go out with a pan and see... Know about an area not to far away..

GOG likes this.
  13. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

First find out if that part of the creek has been claimed.

Then find out if there is any gold on it. The chances are high that there is because water flows downhill and so does gold, to the greatest extent possible.

There may be small amounts in the creek sand and larger amounts settled into natural sluice pockets in the bedrock or gravel a little deeper.

If you find any traces at all by panning, it's a good bet there's more deeper down in the form of nuggets or trapped deposits.

If so a sluice box or a small dredge might be a much better way to go than a pan.

If you find any significant amount of gold, then you need to decide whether or not to file a claim. Be sure that if you find gold and don't file a claim, as soon as the word gets out someone else will claim that location.

Consider also that the course of the creek may have changed over the ages, and there may be
    gold to be found on either side of the water.

GOG likes this.
  14. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Also, a lot of states you need a permit and you are only allowed to pan in certain areas. And, yes, they get a piece of the action...

15. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

So once again our benevolent protectors get a piece of the action because they're the GOVERNMENT. Nice.

16. UncleMorgan

If you do find a bit of gold, you can always sell it to a jeweler as high-purity scrap, like the stuff you can reclaim from electronics--dead computers, cell phones, and the like. Jewelers like the idea of buying electronic gold because they can
    offer you less than market and maybe make a small killing.

Melt it down into a button, first, so the amount he looks at is the same amount you get back. He can do a scratch test to confirm the purity, and weigh it, and then it's just a matter of haggling the price. (Don't give it away.)

Don't even consider pawnshops. Not just because of having to show ID, but because they always want to pay 2 cents on the dollar.

Or less.

oldawg and GOG like this.
  17. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I bring home buckets of creek gravel from my hometown in NC when I visit. I can always get several grams which I'm just saving up. People don't realize that there was more gold pulled from NC than the California Gold Rush ever dreamed of. It was also home to the first gold found in the US. If you know what to look for, there is still plenty there, and I once found a .625 ounce "nugget" in a field while walking to a creek.

Good read:
    New Page 1

GOG and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. UncleMorgan

Yes, indeed. NC has a lot of gold and gem mining history.
    Even Georgia has had its rushes--but about the only gold you can find in Florida is Pie-rat gold, me hearties!
    Unless...

(I've seen several of this guy's videos. I think he drinks a lot of espresso.)

Tempstar, Gator 45/70 and GOG like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7