Parts kit Ban will not start till 1-01-06

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Quigley_Sharps, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Below is a copy of the ATF notice.

U.S. Department of Justice
    Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
    Firearms and Explosives
    Assistant Director
    August 12, 2005
    REVISED OPEN LETTER TO FEDERALLY LICENSED FIREARMS IMPORTERS
    AND REGISTERED IMPORTERS OF U.S. MUNITIONS IMPORT LIST ARTICLES
    The purpose of this open letter is to provide important updated information to importers
    concerning the lawful importation of certain frames, receivers and barrels.
    Extension of Time to Effect Importation of Approved Permits for Frames, Receivers or
    Barrels of Firearms Under Title 18 U.S.C. § 925(d)(3)
    As noted in our prior Open Letter dated July 13, 2005, section 925(d) provides “in any case
    where the Attorney General has not authorized the importation of the firearm pursuant to this
    paragraph, it shall be unlawful to import any frame, receiver, or barrel of such firearm which
    would be prohibited if assembled.” ATF concluded that this language permits no exceptions that
    would allow frames, receivers or barrels for otherwise nonimportable firearms to be imported
    into the United States. Accordingly, ATF announced that it would no longer approve ATF Form
    6 applications for importation of any frames, receivers, or barrels for firearms that would be
    prohibited from importation if assembled. No exceptions to the statutory language, for example
    for “repair or replacement” of existing firearms, will be allowed.
    In the July 13, 2005, Open Letter, ATF recognized that importers relying upon ATF’s prior
    policy may suffer economic harm, particularly those who hold approved permits. To mitigate
    the impact of the new policy, ATF provided that it would forego enforcement of section
    925(d)(3) for 60 calendar days from the date of the Open Letter for those importers who had
    obtained import permits for barrels and receivers for nonimportable firearms for "repair or
    replacement."
    Following consultations with the industry and further examination of the number and types of
    barrels and receivers authorized for importation on approved permits, ATF has decided to extend
    the period of time for importers to act upon previously approved import permits. ATF believes
    this extended period affords ample time for importers who have entered into binding contracts in
    reliance upon approved permits to bring their shipments into the United States for entry into
    commerce. Importers holding ATF approved permits to import frames, receivers, or
    barrels for otherwise nonimportable firearms for repair or replacement may continue to
    use such permits through December 31, 2005. Effective January 1, 2006, these permits will
    be suspended.

-2-
    Importers holding unexpired approved permits will be receiving a letter notifying them that their
    permits will be suspended effective January 1, 2006. ATF will advise Customs and Border
    Protection that in no event should these permits be accepted to release these items for entry into
    the United States on or after January 1, 2006.
    Importers are reminded that no new permits for these items will be issued, including the issuance
    of permits that would be necessary to remove frames, receivers or barrels that are currently held
    or may be placed in a Customs Bonded Warehouse or Foreign Trade Zone. Importers are also
    advised that ATF previously approved permits for nonimportable barrels and receivers are for
    repair or replacement only, and this restriction was stamped on the face of the permit. Importers
    who import such components for any purpose other than repair or replacement of existing
    firearms, e.g., for assembly into new firearms, will be exceeding the scope of the import
    authorization in violation of law. If ATF determines, through inspection or otherwise, that an
    importer willfully violates the import provisions of the GCA, the importer's license is subject to
    revocation pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 923(e).
    Maintaining open lines of communication is vital to the successful future of ATF’s partnership
    with the import community. The Firearms and Explosives Imports Branch staff is available to
    answer your questions about the issues addressed in this letter. You may reach us by phone at
    (202) 927-8320 or by fax at (202) 927-2697. Additional information regarding this issue will be
    provided on our Website at www.atf.gov.
    Sincerely yours,
    Lewis P. Raden
    Assistant Director
    Enforcement Programs and Services

2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

75 days.....

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

but they stopped approving Form ^s months ago. So anything on paer then can still come in. nothing new, Or so I heard

4. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yeah that is how it is working Melbo, so the importers are busting ass to get stuff here, but in doing so everything is going up between 75-100%, sometimes more... Capitalism, isn't it great!

5. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

And we fought so hard to get Republicans control of both houses and the presidency. Why................................................? This and the Miers nomination are how we are thanked. :mad:

6. magnus392

Well the thing is it is the BATFE doing it....no elected officials. Does anyone actually appoint the head of it?

Thing is this is an OLD law. It actually IIRC back to the 60's or so. Forgien receivers have been banned for a long time, well a provision of that included barrels. However the BATFE had been approving parts kits for REPLACEMENT parts only. Now that they see lots of ppl building up rifles out of kits...they want to stop it.

I will see if I can locate the full text of the original law soon:)

7. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

So, if one wanted to purchase a couple to 3 kits now, where and how would one do it (since I am a novice)

8. E.L.

Yes, but the elected officials control it. They can do what they want, apparently taking care of their base is not high on the priority list.

9. Quigley_Sharps

Call up any one of the vendors with CC in hand and order away.

10. magnus392

Depends on what kits you want Clyde, AK kits...Well either www.dpharms.com, or Bocefus on AKfiles. Bob at Akron has FAL kits coming. If you want shoot me a PM and I will fill you in on prices and who is best to deal with for what kits:D

EL, The thing about it is it is an old law...unless we can challenge the constitutionality of it...it will stand. To do that requires big money and the big money in the gun market is operating under the BATFE's discretion, so it is dangerous to challenge them.

The NRA has other fights it is putting ahead of evil assualt weapons and thier owners.

And the rest of the political world is too busy with oil, and natrual disasters.

Really sucks. :(

11. E.L.

That they chose not to enforce. They can do what they want, that is obvious by their behavior. The elected administration just chooses to let their base down by not responding to the calls from those who elected them. I am almost surprised they didn't just re-enact the Brady Bill.

Forgive me, after working for the Gov. for 15 years I just get tired of the b.s., and the lack of response by those we put in office.

12. melbo

Check out the latest edition of SAR, (Small Arms Review), was free at Knob Creek. Good articles on this and other gun laws. Seems some people are working on getting this one re-interpreted as it is in conflict with GCA '68 as it was only to apply to handgub bbls and also that you cannot pretermine whether the end build weapon will be 'sporting' or not.

one to watch but It may change back. They print the Open Letter from the BATFE about it also

13. magnus392

I would like to read that article, how was Knob?

14. Quigley_Sharps

[ditto]

15. melbo

Great time... Very relaxing and laid back. Got to meet Seacowboys in the Flesh. :D

Bought another Suppressor.

If my darn scanner software would work, I'd post the article. might try to find a way yet.

16. melbo

17. magnus392

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7