Passion Fruit/ From Humble Beginnings..

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Gopherman, Sep 21, 2015.

1. JohnSteven

JohnSteven CHUNKY MUNKY

thanx ... yeah, it's probably a lot like my home area...
    far upstate New York...

companies... sure. understood.
    obviously you'd have to study./ know "who is WHERE"
    but like you said, yeah, lots of land to "play" with.

the extreme northern new york (country) that I come from is much the same.
    (and believe it or not MY "home area" is actually very swampy....
    all within 1 to 5 miles of the St. Lawrence River... up there)
    except I honestly do NOT think anybody would care if you "tresspassed".
    Nor do I think they look. ------- much
    but we don't have a very long grow-cycle where we come from.... we DO INDEED have a NICE "grow cycle"
    but you only get ONE shot at it.
    and it's over.... (without a greenhouse)
    but if you DID "farm" outside your territory? I think in most cases nobody would care (if you're in far northern new york)

and it only makes sense, if it IS "owned" by some company / with a purpose / who actually LOOKS at their land... (sooner or later)
    yeah. of course, they'd be unhappy.

but I imagine you're probably right... and it's probably similar to upstate New York.... (empty)

:)
    like you said, just a good growin' spot.... a LONG growing season.

Marck, tacmotusn and Ganado like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Gopherman I am just amazed at how beautiful those plants are. They are lush and gorgeous. I have been thinking on why I am having difficulties. My plants were happiest in the kitchen which has some moisture and the afternoon (4-6 ish) sun. It was filtered sun so I think that helped. Every time I put my plants out in the yard they were shocked to the point of almost no return then I would bring them back into the kitchen. I think it is a moisture thing plus the dry heat. We have almost no humidity so I think that is the deciding factor. I do wonder if I just planted them outside in a pseudo hydroponics type set up if I would have success.

Gopherman and Ganado like this.
  3. JohnSteven

JohnSteven CHUNKY MUNKY

I know HERE in Long Island... it's like... almost NOTHING grows the way it is supposed to.
    you have to FORCE it to "grow" on long island.
    the soil is gravelly, poor - and we tend to have WEEKS without water, (then a LOT of rain) but we live in a humid area (surrounded by ocean) it's just NOT a really great place to grow stuff. Not "the best"

the lawns here ...likewise,
    whereas in upstate new york? our lawns were GREEN all summer and grew in lush.
    (likewise the gardens)

and gopherman is in a blessed growing spot!

Gopherman likes this.
  4. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

I planted my seeds too deep about an inch, and after three weeks they never sprouted so I planted more at a 1/4" and they all sprouted sooner or later, the first batch at 1 week then steadily after that. They love full direct intense sunlight and water. The Poo Poo Puffs I sent should have sent them through the roof. I think next year I cut back on the Rabbit poo and just put them in Black Cow compost, so I can see if they'll fruit quicker. They should have been fruiting all year but I just started getting flowers three weeks ago. The others that I planted did ok but that one in the grow bed went insane, I think its the Sun and the Water that did it! We spent $300 on black cow and mushroom compost last weekend and filled out our growbeds with half rabbit poo and half compost. Winter crop all growing well and didn't lose any of our Lowe's transplants. Planted Radishes 2 weeks ago and their about a foot tall, red beets, collards, broccoli, red and reg. cabbage and Cauliflower and Curly Top Kale are all doing well so far.

Motomom34 and tacmotusn like this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Gopherman I would be interested to see how the beds with rabbit poo did in the second year, because I think RP runs a little hot and needs time to percolate. Just a thought

6. Gopherman

7. Gopherman

all of my grow beds have at least half RP in them and they all do very well. The only one that struggled was the sawdust mix. From what I have come learn that the composting process leaches out most of the nitrogen. I thought because of the rabbit pooh it would balance out but I was wrong. I added 3 bags of Black cow and 3 bags of Mushroom compost last weekend that should do it! I Hope!
    here are some pics I just took a few minute ago.

This is that ginger root I sprouted a couple months ago
    greenhouse pics Sept 2015 009.JPG
    This is a 3" potted Basil I bought at Walmart, it has been completely cut down to almost nothing once already 3 weeks ago, and the other one behind it has been cut back twice already, also a different Basil Variety.

greenhouse pics Sept 2015 002.JPG
    These are my three coffee Trees that I bought this spring.
    greenhouse pics Sept 2015 007.JPG
    These are the redbeets and radishes I planted 3 weeks ago.
    greenhouse pics Sept 2015 001.JPG
    These are spearmint plants that were about a 6" cluster a month ago. I planted Onions and a couple left over Collard plants in my herb box because it just looked so MT. greenhouse pics Sept 2015 004.JPG
    These were a fight to get going they are Goji Berry plants. They spent the better part of 2 months just getting root bound, so I transferred them into this 25 gallon pot filled with fresh rabbit pooh and Wallah!
    greenhouse pics Sept 2015 010.JPG

Ok now for Ms. Ditchwitch here's the Scraggly Avocado trees I planted in the spring.
    greenhouse pics Sept 2015 012.JPG greenhouse pics Sept 2015 014.JPG
    And these are my little ones I"m getting ready for wintering so I can make my house look like a rainforest of Passion Fruit next year.
    greenhouse pics Sept 2015 011.JPG
    I have a couple of full blooded Flemish Giant Rabbits in the cages below but I will not show them to you until they are the size of Rottweilers![LMAO]
    Hope you guys enjoy the pics half as much as I've enjoyed growing them!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

You using the rabbit hutches as your potting bench? lol

really lovely pics.

Gopherman likes this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Gopherman are you able to grow year round? How much of a winter do you get. What is your low? Freezing frost? It is still so beautiful there. You are so blessed to call that your home.

Gopherman likes this.
  10. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Very jealous of your avocado tree, scraggly or not! We go down to 0 and a bit under. The lowest I've seen any of the avocados go is 20. Do you have citrus too?

My best stuff came from beds that were almost 100% bunny poo. That stuff is a miracle worker. I dump it on straight out of the pans even. Plants eat it up.

Ganado likes this.
  11. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Ganado and Gopherman like this.
  12. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Ganado and Gopherman like this.
  13. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Motomom34 and Gopherman like this.
  14. Gopherman

Ok lots of questions.
    Yes we can grow year round, its better for collards broccoli.... in the winter and the stupid bugs don't eat them. It gets down to freezing about 10 nights in Jan and Feb but usually up to 40's during the day and higher. The green house is protected and I have the rocket stove in there now as well. I'll wait late Nov. to build the cob bench. It will consume a lot of space.
    The Avocado's can be pruned to keep them small enough to take into the rabbit hutch with the Bunnies, having seen your posts I am willing to bet their more pampered pets than Beef!:)
    Tac; I have seen all of those video's, I love that guy, there is one that is really funny It's a warning video, I tried to find it for you, but was unable. This guys house got taken over with them, they were spreading roots out and popping up 30' away, completely over ran him. If you can get them to come back in the summer you have to keep them under control! I personally have no problem with this I am going to plant the all over my back 4 1/2 acres at the perimeter. Good luck trying to get through those things. LOL
    The ginger I planted was a 1" piece when I put it in the ground and now it 4' tall and spreading out. I have several others going as well. We love Ginger and its a miracle root, lots of health benefits and tastes great on Sushi!

Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  15. Gopherman

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  16. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

and if Martha Stewart's Passion fruit cheesecake tart was not enough for you there is this.

Tully Mars, Gopherman and Ganado like this.
  17. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I am a world class procrastinator. I have one very good friend who is the only person in my tribe who can motivate me from start to finish on any project. He is also my mentor for prepping. Bottom line I will be looking to him to kick me in the butt as necessary to get my 100 foot run suspension line with drops for 8 passion fruit vining plants. I need to be ready by April. I will probably make it.
    Additionally, I will start a recipe thread just for Passion Fruit recipes Only. Submissions to this thread are encouraged, but I will ask that only recipes including passion fruit in any of it's forms be included in this thread. I presently use Passion (fruit) Flower and leaf tea as an anti inflammatory for my knee pain (bone on bone, little or no cartilage) situation. I am very intrigued by this plant.

18. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Okay I found a cheap source for Fredericks Purple Passion Fruit plants right now. The last link is what some a-holes are trying to gouge you for price wise.
    good source ... Contact Us : Buy Banana Plants & More Tropical Plants For Sale, Florida Hill Nursery home page
    Frederick's purple passion fruit plant ... Fredericks purple passionfruit vine passiflora edulis Fredricks purple passionfruit vine passiflora edulis [] - $8.99 : Buy Banana Plants & More Tropical Plants For Sale, Florida Hill Nursery
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    buyer .... reconsider .... Passion Fruit Vine for Sale | Fast-Growing-Trees.com

Motomom34 and Gopherman like this.
  19. Gopherman

Florida Hills is where I bought my original plants from that I took the cuttings from. I bought the fruit for the seeds from the link I supplied. I wanted lots of plants and I can never find the fruit locally.

Ganado, Motomom34 and tacmotusn like this.
  20. Gopherman

Update on The passion fruit. I now have in excess of 200 fruit on it at different stages. I couldn't resist, so I cut one open the other day and it was about 3-4 days from falling off the vine. A couple more days is required once they drop until the skin wrinkles, and then their ready to eat. It looks like I'll get at least some fruit before the freeze sets in and kills the plant!:) Earthbricks 2 007.JPG

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  1. Alanaana
    My outdoor orchid blossomed today!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 22, 2024 at 19:09, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    It's time for my yearly lychee progress picture!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024 at 2:26, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024 at 2:26, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Alanaana
  19. Alanaana
    Media

Garden

My herb garden loves the rain.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  20. Alanaana
    Somewhere... can you see it?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7