Passion Fruit/ From Humble Beginnings..

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Gopherman, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Passion fruit sparkling water is super refreshing! And tasty.

Ganado and Gopherman like this.
  2. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

I'm hoping to find out in the next few days, some of these are fixin to drop![touchdown]
    PS all 12 of the Strawberry Guava's are still alive and Kickin!

ditch witch, Hanzo and Ganado like this.
  3. Gopherman

I started these plants out in the food plot in April from seeds. I abandoned the food plot when the weeds took over and forgot about these for a while. Occasionally I would go out and look at them but never saw flowers so I just abandoned them to their fate no watering nothing, yesterday I just happened to notice how big they were getting and walked out there and what do you know? I have about 30 Fruits hanging on them and flowers all over them.
    The ones in the front yard must be the yellow variety, these look totally different and the plant is much prettier as well as the flowers!
    putplr fredericks 001.JPG

4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

beautiful @Gopherman. I envy that you can just plant something and it will bear fruit- literally.

Tully Mars, Gopherman and Ganado like this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Hanzo and Gopherman like this.
  6. Gopherman

It's the climate here. Stuff just wants to grow.I really think that deep South is the best bug out place to move to. Lots of wildlife, rain, temperate climate, big fish, Southern stances on gun laws..... pretty easy to get lost out in all these billions of tree's. A lot more room for error!

Nice Ganado!! I know your probably thinking "When are these things gonna get more leaves?" Soon enough you'll have plenty! lol
    I see you have a new arrival as well! However many seeds you planted most if not all will sprout, sooner or later. Let them get about 4" tall or 5 sets of leaves before you transplant, They are hardy plants, no need to rush.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

all i can say is at 30 days those passion fruit plants must be putting down a lotta root because not much leaf going on atm.

Gopherman likes this.
  8. Gopherman

I cut down my vine today! 478 fruits on it. Out of all the fruit 23 will ripen and be edible. I took the rest of them and out them in a barrel full of water and submerged them. I want to see if I supply the with water if they will continue to ripen. If they do That would be fantastic. I have had one in the window cill in a glass of water for over a week now and it has not shriveled up and appears to be turning yellow.
    The standard thought is, they will not mature until they fall. We'll see.
    I also harvested about 65 lbs of leaves so far. They usually sell the stems as well as the leaves when you buy it online. If anyone would like to buys some of the fresh dehydrated leaves I will be selling them by the 1 gall freezer bag for $20. If it fits it ships small goes for around $6.95 so the total cost would be $26.95 I'll stuff as much in that package as I can for you guys.
    Trying to fund another cool project with the money!:) The online stuff has the stems ground up as well I don't like that, so mine will only have the leaves!

I just noticed you have your first chicken foot leaf on that sprout, Nice! How are they coming along?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

What do you do with the leaves? Make tea?

Gopherman likes this.
  10. Gopherman

Yeah, the leaves have all kinds of health benefits from pain relief to sleep aid to controlling anxiety. I just noticed I said 650 it was 65 LOL, I ran out of steam after 2 hours of plucking leaves!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    Ganado likes this.
  11. Gopherman

The Slaughter! IMG_1371.JPG
    The Gathering! IMG_1370.JPG
    The Harvest! 480+ IMG_1369.JPG
    THE BONUS! I looked out in my field while we were working and discovered we had new additions to the herd!
    IMG_1373.JPG

12. Gopherman

It looks like I have discovered something new! Those green passion fruit that I harvested, which are not supposed to ripen when picked from the vine, I have my first one that has turned purple. I have it sitting on the counter now to see if it will ripen like the ones that fell.
    I have a 35 gallon drum with hundreds of them out in the shed under water right now, I will let you know if it works more than once, however this is encouraging!
    I am very excited about this because no one has ever posted this process before, that I have been able to find.They all say the fruit will just wither and die![touchdown][touchdown]

Motomom34, kellory and Ganado like this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

@Gopherman was kind enough to send me a sample of his dried passion fruit leaves for tea. Wifee and I had ours hot, little monkey enjoyed hers cold. Big monkey is not a tea drinker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mahalo G!

Ganado, Motomom34 and Gopherman like this.
  14. Gopherman

You are very welcome!My experiment in the barrel did not work , instead they fermented and smelled horrible.Next year I hope they flower a lot earlier. I lost all that fruit!:cry::cry::cry:

Ganado, Hanzo and Motomom34 like this.
  15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I worked in produce and when we wanted to fast ripen something we would place it in a paper bag with a tomato. These were mass produced tomatoes but the gas that they gave off would accelerate the ripening of the other fruit. That is why bananas come in plastic to ripen. Next time try a few passion fruit in a paper bag and then another bag of fruit with a tomato.

Tully Mars, Hanzo and kellory like this.
  16. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Bummer. Maybe just make jams or jellies instead?

17. Gopherman

The good thing is ,I got almost 30 off it that did and they were great !

Tully Mars, Ganado and Hanzo like this.
  18. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

ouch! gardening experimenting at its best, sometimes you win sometimes you lose. The tea from the leaves and blossums is outstanding in flavor. Thanks @Gopherman

Gopherman likes this.
  19. Gopherman

I just wanted to update this thread. It's had a couple thousand hits, I guess people are interested?
    3 Of my passion fruit plants came back this year. 1 is thriving, 1 is struggling and 1 is going to do well in the next month or so.
    I bought 4' x 16' cattle fencing panels and some re-bar and built a really strong and movable trellis system.
    The panels are only $20 a piece and the re-bar is pretty inexpensive as well. After last years amazing yield I decided to invest a little money in it.
    I have also found several places that will buy them from me when they ripen.Hopefully they will pay for themselves.Even if they don't this is a beautiful plant.
    Make sure you root 10-15 cuttings before winter so no matter what happens you can plant again in the spring.
    100_0415.JPG

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    kellory and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
    Media

Garden

My herb garden loves the rain.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
    Somewhere... can you see it?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
    Media

Blue_skies

And sunshine
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 20, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Alanaana
    Blossom
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  19. Alanaana
    Tropical flowers
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  20. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7