Password protected external hard drive

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Dont, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I love looking for the solution to computer issues, I say as my eye twitch's...

2. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

CATO and AmericanRedoubt1776 like this.
  3. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Got my 32gb Aegis Secure Key on Monday.

4. Dont

A 1TB external that will not show up on the op sys.. Well, ubuntu, will load on windows but not under "computer".. Always a challenge isn't there..

5. VisuTrac

I believe the drive will mount on windows, mac and linux.

6. Dont

Nope.. Nothing showing.. Did the fdisk in term and was shown the internal HDD only.. Research has shown that if it has been pass worded on the HDD then it may not show.. It will show that the HDD is loading in windows, yet will not show in the devices in computer.. Was suggested that one should buy another HDD of the same make and size.. Connect it to the computer and that will magicely get the old one to ask for a password.. Need to go ride the new bike..

7. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

What kind of encrypted drive are you using? Here at work we have to use RSA whole drive encryption on all laptops. I have two drives, one personal and one work (encrypted). If I boot up my personal drive, at least in Windows, and attach the second drive to the laptop via SATA-usb cable, I can't do ANYTHING with it unless I install the RSA software. Even if I don't encrypt my personal drive I MUST install the RSA software to get the driver loaded so I can decrypt the work drive.

8. Dont

Just a Freeplay external I picked up on sale.. Computers are a work in progress for me. I work at finding a solution to a problem, I work at holding my anger, I work at self restraint so I do not apply the 12 pound solution..
    Most times after a week or two of reading through countless web pages of suggested solutions, I will find the solution and will have been oh so simple!! Or could take it to the local, relatively so, best buy and pay them 70 dollars to strip the password.. I do not have that sort of money..

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just a NOTE, here: On the Mac OSX OS System, you can encrypt whole Drives, Folders, or Files, as you like. I use an Encrypted Folder to secure ALL my OnLine Passwords, and other Personal Information, I just take the folder and make an encrypted .DMG File out of it, using the OS built-in Encryption System. Then when I need it all I have to do is double click on it, and then enter the PassPhrase, and the OS loads the Files PrivateKey from the Encrypted Keyring, and deCrypts a copy of the file. Once finished, you just throw it in the trash and do a SECURE Trash empty, and you are Done. ., it is all built-0in to the OS.....

Silversnake likes this.
  10. VisuTrac

I'm thinking that the OP didn't provide enough information.
    It seems as though he has a drive that is already encrypted and is trying to get it decrypted and not looking for hardware to add to their system.

it's just a guess but it didn't sound like they were looking for a solution/suggestion for what we'd suggest they add to their system to make it more robust.

11. Dont

Yes, I am a neophyte in many things, and as such I remain humble and attentive to the advice of those of you who are much wiser than I..
    This is Security that is built into the HDD.. is nothing special and I probably should not have put the pass word on on it in the first place..

In fact , HDD is not encrypted.. Pass worded.. Passworded with program that resides on the HDD from manufacturer. The manufacturer will have an answer , just need to ask the right question of thier search engine.

I being a newb here, must ask if this was an inappropriate thread to start?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2013
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Nope, not at all... The only unIntelligent question, is the one NOT Asked... Especially in a Tech forum..... That is why this forum is here.....

VisuTrac likes this.
  13. Dont

Thank you BT..

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7