Patina

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Hanzo, Sep 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Bear has been so busy. Otherwise I would commission him to rehandle the smaller bolo. I like them both a lot. The handle on the small one is small for my mitts. And the larger one is more comfortable now that it is non-traditional. Tennis overwrap is good stuff. I even use it on my tai chi sword. Of course, I tell my students that it is an ancient Chinese secret. And no, I don't have to kill them after I tell them. One of them asked me.

GrayGhost likes this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Dunerunner and Motomom34 like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I read that you have to heat AC vinegar. But did you rub/dot with the potato? I do not have wasabi or hot sauce in the house so those are out. But I do have vinegar & potatoes. Has anyone ever used mustard? I read that works okay. Plus one article I read says you need to wipe the blade down with alcohol first to strip any oils. True or false?

Hanzo likes this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

The last Mora that looked like a hamon was done with lime and mustard. I’ve used a flour paste too.

If you just wrap the blade with a paper towel wet with vinegar, the blade will darken.

Brokor and Motomom34 like this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I will be doing this to my Mora. It is way too shiny. Regarding my other question, do you wipe your blades with alcohol to remove oils etc?

Hanzo likes this.
  6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yes, always start with a clean blade. Dawn and warm water works great.

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

No. I wash them on occasion and wipe a light coat of olive oil on mine. I may use them for food and olive oil is safe. If you let it sit for a very long time, just wash it before you use it on food. Then wash it after and reapply a little oil.

@Motomom34, this is my favorite one so far. Although just plain dark is good too. Was even thinking of doing that to my sword. High carbon spring steel after all.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2018
    Benjamin A. Wood likes this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[LMAO] I thought you were talking about the inside of my coffee mug! it has a nice charcoal patina:lol:

Hanzo and oldawg like this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Matei
  4. Matei
  5. norseman
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: norseman, Mar 8, 2021, 3 replies, in forum: Blades
  6. Ganado
  7. Ganado
  8. Coyote Ridge
  9. 3M-TA3