Peaches

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Motomom34, Aug 9, 2014.

1. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Well I WAS gonna put up 3 quarts of peaches. Bottom of the jar blew off. That'll teach me to use jars my drunk buddy found in his garage. :/
    20150809_162542.

Motomom34 and Tobit like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Wow, that is not good.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Happens all the time with Glass Jars.... Just one of those things...

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

It'll happen more often if you put the jars directly on the bottom of the bath pan. Put a grill under them and the temp will be constant, right at boiling or whatever the pressure canner develops. In contact with the bottom of the pan, there will be hot spots that very likely will result in differential expansion of the glass. Which, uv cuss, breaks the glass.

kellory likes this.
  5. ditch witch

It did have a grill underneath. That's the first jar I've ever had bust on me and I've canned a LOT of stuff. Guess I was overdue.

Yard Dart likes this.
  6. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

@Motomom34 - I don't really have any recipes. We just used a simple syrup for the canned peaches and then froze some that my wife baked into a peach crumble (1.27 million recipes for peach crumble online and yet I have no idea what the wife puts in hers...I suck).

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

No problem @DarkLight. I am going to try making peach salsa because love the stuff.

PS- you don't suck and you obviously are an eater not a cooker.

Ganado likes this.
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@DarkLight. There can be no 'good' cooks without an audience to appreciate the cooking. All you have to do is say yum ;)

9. ditch witch

I canned pickled peaches yesterday!
    • 4 cups sugar
    • 1 cup white vinegar
    • 1 cup water
    • 2 tablespoons whole cloves
    • 4 pounds fresh clingstone peaches, blanched and peeled
    • 5 (3 inch) cinnamon sticks
    Directions
    1. Combine the sugar, vinegar and water in a large pot, and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Press one or two cloves into each peach, and place into the boiling syrup. Boil for 20 minutes, or until peaches are tender.
    2. Spoon peaches into sterile jars and top with liquid to 1/2 inch from the rim. Put one cinnamon stick into each jar. Wipe the rims with a clean dry cloth, and seal with lids and rings. Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes to seal, or consult times recommended by your local extension.
    Clingstone peaches are best for canning, but our tree is freestone. I halved and pitted my peaches for this.

Witch Doctor 01, Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I made peach salsa today. It is so good. I need to mix in more tomato salsa for a better balance but it is an amazing combo of flavors. I used jalapenos but I think a hotter pepper would have been better.

DSCN0906.JPG

11. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

You can always add more seeds for some additional heat as well.

Nice picture - you and @Hanzo make me hungry.

Hanzo and Ganado like this.
  12. ditch witch

Use habanero. It works well with peaches and apricots. Don't be afraid of the heat. Habaneros hit you hard and fast and then the heat is gone and you have the flavor. Compare that to a jalapeno that, when hot, the heat stays on you long afterwards.

Hanzo, Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Someone just told me about this. I think this is great. No blanching etc.... I heard it works amazing. But you need to eat eat because they will brown quicker but fresh peaches all year and easy processing.

You Can Freeze a Whole Peach | Heavenly Homemakers

3M-TA3 likes this.
  14. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Motomom34 likes this.
  15. Joe13

Joe13 Monkey

We buy the clearance bin stuff at the local peach farm - the eat it today or tomorrow peaches.

Blanch them in boiling water for a min.

Cold water bath after.

Pull the peal off.

Use your hands and pull the flesh off the pit.

We use quart size ziplocks and freeze them in a (non-defroster freezer).

They seem to keep for about 2 years.

We use them in smoothies and ice cream or whatever else. Since they were at peak ripeness they are pretty sweet as is.

Motomom34 and Caveman Jim like this.
  16. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

PEACH PIE PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Goin for the Glory

DO NOT destroy those magnificent fruits, there is only one way to prepare peaches & that is PEACH COBBLER!!!!!
    Nuff said, Caveman loves him some southern PEACH COBBLER!!!! LOL Carry on.....

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    Motomom34 and Joe13 like this.
  18. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

We have Both Free & Cling from seeds of 4 years ago & i just picked our first batch .
    They come from Seeds.
    Here is the way I did them :
    Take peach from YOUR area that was grown , eat and enjoy what we taste & enjoy as you can. If its good , then take the seed nut and crack it open in half to expose the seed , , plant the cracked nut & seed with the nut open to let in dirt & the clam of the nut to hold in water . I use wax paper cups to start and enjoy the peach stalk grow. for the 3 year & up to ,,remove all peach starts & cut back in winter dormant time , let the roots grow.
    Do 3 of each or more , failure happens & sex is decided as they are all uni .

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    Motomom34 likes this.
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

You started peach trees from local seeds. Are you saying you keep the peach tree indoors for 3 years?

20. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

No , Start in fall / summer when ya get seeds & then plant in feb in the cups I did 20 seeds & got 12 good strong , but 8 made it .
    Neighbour had tree & gave me a few to taste , I asked him for all the pitts .

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. RJFab
  8. duane
  9. TnAndy
  10. TnAndy
  11. john316
  12. Jaybird
  13. DKR
  14. Big Ron
  15. DKR
  16. apache235
  17. Ganado
  18. DKR