Peanut Butter

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by Motomom34, Nov 8, 2014.

Tags:
  1. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Purchased two 24 ounce jars on sale last week for $3.00. At 3,200 calories per jar, you can get a days worth of calories for less that a buck and its full of fat which is hard to store long term. I store lots of it in a old refrigerator in my barn along with all my other oils.

2. saltbush

saltbush Monkey

I love peanut butter, but only the plain, natural kind, with nothing but peanuts and their own oil. It keeps me from getting hungry for a long time, so I've never understood why dieters don't love it and instead, they worry about the fat. We need those fats; point is to get the best ones we can. Canola oil is creepy and hydrogenated fats of any source are killers so the only reason I can think of that either ever showed up in a perfect food like peanut butter is to save the food companies some money. I've wondered why we see so many people with allergies to peanuts now, even life-threatening ones, seldom heard of in earlier generations. Allergies in general used to be rare and now about a third of the population of the USA suffers from one kind or another.

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  3. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I know a lady that swears she has a peanut allergy because her mom told her so. She says she has never eaten a peanut.
    The protein and good fat in peanut butter is hard to beat. I make a meal from saltines and PB a lot.

DKR and BTPost like this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[​IMG]

Brokor, natshare, DKR and 4 others like this.
  5. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Peanut butter is our friend! :)

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Zimmy, Motomom34 and Meat like this.
  7. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Wait. I won't go less than 10 feet from peanut butter unless it's Jif. :D

Ganado likes this.
  8. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I am the only one old enough to remember the "Surplus Commonalities" given out before the current rage of pumping my tax money into the 'program'.

The welfare PB was the best! It came in big cans and you had to mix it up to be able to spread it.

A shame, really.. Peanut butter, cornmeal, flour, canned mystery meat, cheese all in a big box picked up in person - after showing some ID. Old school help..

(history at FDD - History and Background | Food and Nutrition Service)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  9. svjoe

svjoe Angry Monkey

We can get "reject" peanut butter from the processor in 55gl drums for free here!! Lots o folks use it to supplement their hunting dog's diet. I have eaten it and it tastes like regular peanut butter!! Only downside I have run into is that it is a little oilier than say Jif or Skippy..............

natshare, Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I don't care how "good" it is for me, but straight up pure peanut butter (no matter how tasty) is impossible for me to eat regularly because folks with rheumatoid arthritis don't do well stirring things.

I've found a decent compromise with Jif Natural.
    Amazon.com: Jif Natural Peanut Butter Spread and Honey, 16 Ounce: Prime Pantry

By the way, PB will store for a few years, but it can accumulate a strange taste after a bit of storage. I now only store what I plan to eat. The powdered stuff looks interesting...

Ganado likes this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Ganado likes this.
  12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Never mind stirring. This one is pretty likely too small -
    Paint Shaker, 120v AC

Or larger size -
    Amazon.com: Electric 3 Axis F5 Portable Paint Shaker, Gen 2 Portable Paint Mixer: Home Improvement
    Not so sure I'd put glass jars in it, but plastic shouldn't be a problem --

Brokor likes this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Bump! January 24 is National Peanut Butter Day. One of my favorite foods which we store in our home and eat almost daily.

This article says that peanut butter unopened in and in refrigeration can last one year beyond the expiration date, but many swear no refrigeration required. How Long Does Peanut Butter Last? Shelf Life, Storage, Expiration Date

One of the best survival foods IMO.

Ganado and Homer Simpson like this.
  14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Best to buy dehydrated and make on demand.
    Don't know what the shelf life is but I'm sure its better than a year

15. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

I grew up eating Peter Pan PB, and usually stick with that, these days. Maybe not as healthy as the "all natural", but not nearly as pricey, either! ;)

I did read, recently, that doctors are now stating that if you will start exposing your children to peanut butter at an early age (as soon as 6 months), it's far less likely that they will deliver an allergy to it. Imagine that! Do they mean to tell us that if we subject our poor, shriveled immune systems to nasty things, they might actually become STRONGER???

Heck, I've been telling people who (over) use anti-bacterial soap, and hand sanitizers, that very same thing, for YEARS now!! :cool:

16. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I live in Smuckers country, lead the team that created one of their early web sites and then maintained their web presence for years....until the day they bought Jif and I jokingly mentioned a new jingle line: "Choosy mother Smuckers choose Jif"

17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Some of the healthiest kids we knew growing up played in the mud ,conversely those brought up in a sterile environment were the sickest .
    If the immune system at a young age, is not exposed to things, it can't develop.

18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I stuff a couple of bones with Jif as a treat for my pups!

IMAG00658.

Ganado, Yard Dart, T. Riley and 2 others like this.
  19. Darksyde

Darksyde Monkey

Funny... i've eaten lots of legumes, & nuts,& peanuts look& taste like a nut to me... especially when I make my own peanut butter in my vitamix....

Ganado likes this.
  20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I use to take a dab and put it on the dog's nose ,too much fun.

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. oil pan 4
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. Alanaana
    Ribeye, bay scallops, and mushrooms
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Aug 27, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. JC Refuge
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Dunerunner
  8. jefferson
  9. jefferson
  10. Motomom34
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Coyote Ridge
  13. ditch witch
  14. Dunerunner
  15. Ganado
  16. JC Refuge
  17. JC Refuge
  18. Coyote Ridge