Pennsylvania town mulls recommending guns for all

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - A tiny town in western Pennsylvania could ask all of its residents to own guns, if a proposal under consideration on Wednesday wins approval from local officials.

Under the proposed law, residents of Cherry Tree, Pennsylvania, would be asked to own guns and know how to use them. Cherry Tree, some 70 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, has about 400 residents.

The town council was scheduled to vote on the proposed "Civil Protection Ordinance" on Wednesday evening.

Introduced last month by resident Henry Statkowski, the measure recommends that "all heads of households maintain a firearm along with ammunition."

In written comments, Statkowski said homeowners have a right and a responsibility to defend against intruders rather than calling police and waiting for help to arrive.

The measure would send a message to "burglars, ne'er-do-wells and other criminal elements," Statkowski wrote.

The male head of the household has the responsibility to defend the family from intruders, he also wrote.

"I don't believe your wife would appreciate it very much if you said, 'Honey, I'll wait until the police arrive and have them defend your life,"' he wrote.

Statkowski could not be reached for comment.

Chad Ramsey, a spokesman for the national gun-control group the Brady Campaign, dismissed the proposal as "ridiculously silly."

The measure was unlikely to pass because state law prevents municipalities from making their own gun laws, Ramsey said. He said about 40 percent of Pennsylvania households own guns.

Aaron Fry, owner of the Cherry Tree Cafe, said he did not understand why the measure was necessary because guns are common. "Every house has a couple of guns," he said.

2. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Guy doesn't understand why recommending everyone be able to protect themselves and their families is necessary. Sounds like a PA liberal to me.

It is a recommendation that each household own guns. It is not a command. They will still have the right to be liberal idiots and watch their family get raped and murdered while waiting for the police.

I'm soon to be looking into the housing around there. Might make a move. Sounds like a more gun friendly place to me.

3. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Isn't that what our founding fathers had in mind?

I can't believe that society has come to a point where this even needs to be said.

MORON!

4. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Does that mean that as a female, I have no responsibility to defend my family from intruders???:mad:

5. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

I wondered if anyone would notice that :)

In my house, an attacker would be much better off getting caught by me than my wife...... I'd put a couple rounds in ya, my wife would empty the gun, reload, and empty it again.

6. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

*** UPDATE ***

It was voted down, only the guy that proposed it voted in favor.

Too bad isn't it?

7. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Sounds like my kind of woman. You're a lucky man

8. TailorMadeHell

That's too bad it didn't pass, however I now know that liberalism has spread it grasping tentacles to even small-town America. Seems a shame that these people should need to be recommended to protect themselves. The upside of it is maybe like the cafe guy said, everyone is already gun owners and prepared, though I highly doubt it.

Another thing, yes that phrase 'male being responsible' or what have you is mostly true in some families. The women are just drones that muddle on with the lessons that their mother drones before them taught them. A wife should be submissive to the husband and likewise the husband to the wife. That does not mean being a packmule or slave. If I were married, I would be glad to know that my strong, independent wife could protect the homestead while I was away and vice versa.

My uncle is married to a woman, not lady, that has only thoughts for herself and how much money she can get to buy crap things to fix up their lovely trailerpark home. He is so screwed in so many ways.

I like women who can take care of themselves and are not afraid to do so. After all, if your spouse isn't there to protect you, who do you turn to? It is supposed to be yourself. Man or woman need to be able to protect themselves, their homes, their children and even those who can't protect themselves and need a hand.

Now as far as Blackjack being lucky. I think he's got a lucky streak a mile wide. All of you guys and gals that have met someone that is willing to do what is necessary to do what is right are lucky. Those of us who have yet to meet that someone are maybe good to go, though I imagine it's so much better when you have someone to share the burden with. Someone to cover your six is always a good thing.

9. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Thanks..... I think I'm pretty lucky too.

10. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

How about this for an idea? WHy not have the local papers solicite a voluntary list of gun-free house-holds and publish it? COme on Brady-bunch...put up or shut-up. Tell all the world that you are unarmed..be loud and be proud...Tell all the burgulars, rapists,crack-heads, thieves, home-invaders where you live and that you rely on 911!
    [touchdown] now that would get somebody's attention.

11. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

I like that idea even better [applaud]

12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Can't help but wonder if it was voted down simply because it isn't necessary, the current law allows what they are already doing. An extra law simply makes the courts more complex. I LIKE fewer laws, we have quite too many now.[pop]

13. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Well, it wasn't going to be a law though, it was just going to be an official recommendation.

14. TailorMadeHell

I agree about publishing the list of those unarmed. It would serve those anti-gun morons a lesson.

I can see it now.... 'In order for us to move further into a great liberalism, we have decided that morally challenged people (crooks) have too hard a job to do in order to attain wealth. It is inhumane to stress them out with needless wondering of if they will find someone pointing a gun at them when they enter someone's dwelling. Therefore it is recommended that if you are a family that does not own, believe in, or use firearms, please put your name on the Make It Easy For Criminals list. Let's all help them find the road to success.'

[soap]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7