Permaculture: South Louisiana

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Pineknot, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Pineknot

Pineknot Concrete Monkey

What would you grow in your yard of hidden supplies?

chelloveck likes this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Well, no matter how many guns I plant, they never seem to grow. The money trees refuse to blossom, and I'm starting to think I have a black thumb, so medical plants would likely be best.;)

Yard Dart and Brokor like this.
  3. Pineknot

Pineknot Concrete Monkey

Lmao I hear ya, edible plants

4. kellory

What? Like nightshade? I hear it's edible....once.

5. Pineknot

Pineknot Concrete Monkey

I am wanting to design and build a "hidden" garden sorta. I want to plant multiple items that to most would resemble overgrowth of underbrush, but will actually have a wealth of veg, fruits, berries, nuts and some medicinal plants. I searched for permaculture and didn't find anything I was looking for.

chelloveck likes this.
  6. kellory

It can't be very well hidden, as it will all need sunlight. I would start with fruit trees, and grape vines, onions will grow along a fence line just fine (queen Ann's lace is wild carrots). You might check with a botanist or a nursury to see what plants will grow in your climate, then pick what you like from the list.

7. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I actually think some of the serious medical plants should be in every preppers back 40 somewhere as well as some of the deadliest plants on the planet. Seems to me after a shtf situation hollowpoints might be enhanced with poison and a bit of hot glue. Black flag Jolly Roger rules apply. No quarter given, none expected!

oldawg and kellory like this.
  8. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

You didn't search very hard or think very creative either.
    (obvious troll is obvious)

9. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Potatoes, onions, carrots and kale at your fishing holes.
    If they are really good fishing holes (3+year perennial plan), jerusalem artichokes, goji berries and start fruit trees with wood chip and charcoal cover/mulch. If you can find something to graft fruit branches onto existing trees at your fishing hole, that would be totally elite.

10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I have lots of nightshade in the back yard.

11. kellory

mercury and wax capped hollow points.

12. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

wax melts in our heat. mercury poisons forever (heavy metal sucks). hot glue in a hollow point I am pretty sure will allow distribution of natural plant derivative poisons, and some are deadly as hell and fast acting.

kellory likes this.
  13. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

meh, shoot them in the head and zombies will fall like sticks..... I suggest more target practice and less wizardry.... ;)

14. kellory

Unless they are liberal zombies, they aren't using thier's.

Yard Dart likes this.
  15. Yard Dart

I do not know what kind of yard you have, but if you have traditional type of landscaping I would suggest the following:
    Blend plant types of decorative and herbal or fruit bearing throughtout the landscape. I live in a suburb type area and everywhere I look I have something that is beneficial as either a seasoning, edible or medicinal within my AO. It just takes time and labor to make it happen, but most passer by's will never notice what is right in front of them... call it agriculture camouflage.. ;)

chelloveck and tulianr like this.
  16. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

Most of those who would be the first to steal food, wouldn't recognize it unless it was in a can or package on the grocery store shelves. Most medicinal plants work well in containers. I have twenty flower pots on my back deck which hold yarrow, echinacea, horehound, feverfew, and a host of other medicinal plants. I have mullein in my herb garden; it's a little large for a pot. It makes a nice decorative plant, with a large stalk of yellow flowers that remain for much of the year. They all just appear to be decorative plants.

In larger planters, I have chickweed, magenta lambsquarters, purslane, spinach, water cress, kale, oak leaf lettuce, onions, garlic, and a couple of salad mixes. To make a salad, I just walk out on my deck and start harvesting. You don't need a large area for any of this, and I don't think any camouflage is necessarily required.

Many food producing plants look right at home in a flower bed, and the average thug would have no idea what they were. There are many decorative varieties of cabbage, lettuce, kholrabi, onions, garlic, peppers, and kale that are attractive enough to be planted for purely their aesthetic value. Hide in plain sight.

kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  17. Yard Dart

And that is exactly what I was saying, you can grow most anything in your landscape and the regular passer by would have no idea of its growth value to the things that would substain a person. Thanks to Tuli for expanding on my thought...... [winkthumb]

tulianr likes this.
  18. Pineknot

Pineknot Concrete Monkey

I will be removing some useless overgrown shrubbery from around the house and replacing with some types of edibles, this fall adding fruit and winter vegetable gardens, thanks for the input

tulianr likes this.
  19. Yard Dart

Do it now, and don't wait till fall...give them plants time to root before winter....

20. Pineknot

Pineknot Concrete Monkey

I thought you plant fruit trees in the winter lol maybe I'm wrong will have to get the books out

kellory likes this.
  1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  8. Alanaana
  9. DKR
  10. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
    Media

Garden

My herb garden loves the rain.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
    Somewhere... can you see it?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
    Media

Blue_skies

And sunshine
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 20, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  18. Alanaana
  19. Alanaana
    Blossom
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  20. Alanaana
    Tropical flowers
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7