Permethrin- anybody use it?

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by gunbunny, May 19, 2014.

1. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Permethrin (10% solution) is used by the military as an insect repellent, sprayed on clothes and not on the soldiers directly. It is generally used in the farming industry for keeping fleas and ticks off of cattle. It is not a problem to most mammals, including humans, but supposedly cats are affected by it. It is sold at farm and feed stores. A lot of hikers use it for their clothes and equipment, and it seems to make a lot of sense.

Anybody here use permethrin on their clothing or make it into a cream for biting insects? Just how toxic is it to cats? (Do they react to it only when it is wet, or will they fall ill from it even when the clothes are dry)

William Antrum likes this.
  2. William Antrum

William Antrum GunMetal Monkey

no no no no I say again no ..... remember those lil gray pills they gave to persian gulf soldiers? do not I repeat do not use any of that junk you and your family will regret it forever. USA Chemical School grad before they moved to fort lost in the woods. know now or learn the hard later....

Brokor likes this.
  3. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I still have several spray cans of the Army issue they gave me maybe 8 or 9 years ago. The application guidelines as I recall are to spray it on coating and let it dry but they say do no apply directly to the skin and avoid long term direct contact with it. I have used it a lot on pants legs and boot tops to avoid chiggers and I think it helped (does not seem to help with ticks as those often fall from above, a wide brim hat helps most there.). Given the safety guidelines to not apply to skin, I have stuck with DEET for skeeters and flies.

AT

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  4. Grand58742

Grand58742 Monkey+++

I've used it before two of my deployments and as long as you strictly follow the directions for treatment, you shouldn't have any problems. It worked I guess...which means I never got attacked by a horde or fleas or skeeters.

As to the cat question, I honestly can't say.

5. gunbunny

Thanks, AT. I swell up and turn red when I apply DEET, I can't stand it.

I bought a small 8oz bottle at the local Tractor Supply store today. Of course, it doesn't say a thing about spraying on clothing for flea and tick prevention. I'll spray a pair of pants and a shirt (and hat), let it try, and give it a go. If I can still smell it, or if I start to get red or swollen, then I will only be out $7.99 for the bottle and not try any more.

Supposedly permethrin is undergoing trials to be allowed to be added to clothing by the manufacturer. Maybe in a few years we won't have to worry about it.

6. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

To keep away mosquitoes, my mother and I just spray plain white distilled vinegar on ourselves and it works for us.

7. gunbunny

The nice thing about the permethrin is that it is supposed to stay on the clothes through about a dozen washings. That means you shouldn't have to put anything else on as long as you keep the exposed skin to a minimum.

I'll keep the vinegar in mind, though.

8. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

for the peeps .. skeeters, no-see-ums, deerflies .. avon skin so soft (no deet)
    for the animals .. diatomatous earth
    for plants .. diatomatous earth for preventative, dishsoap solution in a spray bottle.

if you have a hornet or wasp in the house up against the screen in the kitchen, whip up dishsoap solution and soak spray the sucker. They die almost as fast as hitting them with wasp/hornet killer without all the cancer causing chemicals.

9. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I used Permethrin to dip my uniforms when I did my tour in Iraq in '06-'07. You do not apply it directly to your skin. You dip or spray your clothing in a Permethrin/water mixture, then you dry them in a dryer. When you weight the consequences with what you could contract from the various bugs that live in the Middle East, I will take my chances with the Permethrin than let's say leishmaniasis disease. I have more concern with the burn pit of the FOB I was at than Permethrin.

mysterymet likes this.
  10. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I have some concern with the burn pits they had in Afghanistan too.

11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

About "dish soap" - I hope it's a non-antibacterial type without the chemical Triclosan. I use Dove dish soap and hand soap, and make my own if I can.

As for Permethrin (LINK)- It is seen as a weak carcinogen, and it is highly toxic to aquatic life (like extremely). Testing first began in 1979 with its use for spraying cotton fields. It heavily effects the nervous system. Believe it or not, research on Permethrin is "still ongoing", and if you use this stuff, do so sparingly. Never trust an FDA approved pesticide, folks. Never.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7