Peroxide....

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by BTPost, Feb 6, 2011.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Rocket Fuel?

Rocket fuel? (By rocket....I mean fuel for rocket propulsion...not moonshine propulsion!).

2. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

[FONT=&quot]Excellent link to the grades grunt351!!! Regardless of the “volume”…. the peroxide approved for use by hairdressers is all non-food grade 6%. Little problem with that grade.... it's a “trade secret” what’s being used as stabilizers that would be compatible with the bleach needed to activate it for use on our heads….. maybe an economical choice for use in our gardens?
    --
    Here’s a decent price for a 12% food grade peroxide, O-W & Company - O-W & Company - H2O2 Hydrogen Peroxide (Contains 12% Aqueous Solution Food Grade H2O2) 16 fl. oz.. There’s probably better deals out there. Also too…. I probably should have included that I'm pretty sure once a lower concentration of peroxide is opened, it shouldn't be placed in a freezer in hopes of extending its shelf life. 30 and 35% food grade peroxides won’t freeze in freezers unless the temps are somewhere around -32. Lower concentrations of both non-food and food grade would freeze so we really should use those within a month or so after they’re opened. [/FONT]

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That too, but it (was) used in torpedo propulsion engines. May still be.

4. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

5. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Standard household peroxide(the 3% kind) can also be used as a canine emetic(found out about that when one our dogs thought the triple layer chocolate cake I made for mom's 60th birthday was for them instead). It's equal parts water and peroxide, 1 tablespoon of the mixture per 10lbs of body weight. So 20lb dog would get 1 tablespoon of peroxide mixed with 1 tablespoon of water.

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I believe ghrit was not referring to "rocket fuel", but to compounding Peroxide with other chemicals for use in IEDs... and yes, these are well known in the Energetic Materials Sciences...

7. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

If I am correct, ghrit was actually referring to the use of HTP as a fuel for torps.

8. ghrit

Wasn't really thinking of that, but H2O2 is a serious oxidizer, which is why it makes for a good disinfectant as well as rocket fuel and torpedo steam propulsion. (Steam fish use alcohol and peroxide to drive their turbines. It's hard to get combustion air to a fish in the water or rocket motors in space.)

9. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Boys will be boy. Didn't think it would take much to get away from cleaning your golf clubs to blowing crap up.

10. ghrit

Now, Sea, you know how easy it is to get a Monkey off topic -- [rofllmao]

11. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

[winkthumb]

12. sweetshrub

sweetshrub Monkey+

Thanks for this great information. I love survivalmonkey!!!

13. sgt peppersass

sgt peppersass Monkey+

i work at a pharm company, the usp grade, all that means is United States Pharmacopia. its just a general guideline regulated by the FDA meaning that it is made with very clean water (dionized, media filters, uv filtered,etc).where stuff at the store isnt as clean, as weird as that sounds lol.

with those uses, be very very careful if your using it as a cleaning agent other than your body, it can oxidize metals fairly quickly causing them to rust and pit. just be careful with overspray.

also to the person who posted this thread, great job and keep up the good work

14. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

The bombardier beetle has a device which allows it to shoot corrosive and foul-smelling bubbles at its enemies. The beetle produces and stores hydroquinone and hydrogen peroxide, in two separate reservoirs in the rear tip of its abdomen. When threatened, the beetle contracts muscles that force the two reactants through valved tubes into a mixing chamber containing water and a mixture of catalytic enzymes. When combined, the reactants undergo a violent exothermic chemical reaction, raising the temperature to near the boiling point of water. The boiling, foul-smelling liquid partially becomes a gas (flash evaporation) and is expelled through an outlet valve with a loud popping sound.<SUP id=cite_ref-12 class=reference>[13]</SUP><SUP id=cite_ref-ncse_13-0 class=reference>[14]</SUP><SUP id=cite_ref-to_14-0 class=reference>[15]</SUP>
    Furthermore, hydrogen peroxide is a signaling molecule of plant defense against pathogens.<SUP id=cite_ref-15 class=reference>[16]</SUP>
    In firefly, oxidation of luciferins, which is catalyzed by luciferases, yields a peroxy compound 1,2-dioxetane. The dioxetane is unstable and decays spontaneously to carbon dioxide and excited ketones, which release excess energy by emitting light (bioluminescence).<SUP id=cite_ref-16 class=reference>[17]</SUP>

15. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

I have small dropper bottles of it in my BOB's. You can also ingest it with water, start with a drop or two and slowly work your way up to 20 drops to a glass of water.

16. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Hmmm.... while I agree "stuff" at the store isn't as "clean" as you put it... I see no mention of stabilizers. May I ask who provided you with this overly simplistic general guideline?

17. SmileyTHFK

SmileyTHFK Monkey+

My inlaws have horrible grooming habits and they sent their daughter to stay the night at our house. We just thought she was hard-headed and wasn't listening until we looked in her ears. I don't think they'd ever been cleaned out in her entire life (10 years old)!

My wife poured a cap full of 3% in her ears and you wouldn't believe the stuff that came out! It took several cleanings, but after we were finished she could actually hear a lot better. I thought my wife was crazy at first because I was raised up on q-tips, but now I swear by the stuff. H2O2 is truly a miraculous thing :)

18. cool hand luke

cool hand luke Monkey+

interesting timing, I spent all day working with 50% solution. Just be very careful, as it can cause severe burns, even at concentrations around 10-12% it can burn pretty badly. We use it to remediate soil contamination. It will break down petrochemical hydrocarbons, producing carbon, oxygen, and lots of heat.

19. DevilDog13

DevilDog13 Monkey+

Hydro perox. also spontaneously combusts when left in open air. The higher concentrations will combust sooner, of course. 30% H2O2 will burst into flames in about an hour at room temp, humidity 40%.

20. redhawk

redhawk Monkey++

Wow, there are many uses for peroxide that I never considered, and it is indeed quite cheap. Thanks for sharing.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7