Personal Defense Ammo...What R U using?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Bandit99, Aug 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Stop teasing me... :ROFLMAO: Just what I need... another caliber handgun to feed! [LMAO]

2. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

My glove box gun is a Rossi 461 feed with Monarch 158 gr JHP's. Recoil ain't that bad and it does get range time.

3. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I bought an extra Ruger P89 in case my family might be in need,didn’t pay but $250.00 out the door. It came with box and papers and does not show to be fired. The only 9mm I own.

Ura-Ki, sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I am still holding out for a semi auto or double action revolver of pocket design in .17 HMR
    2550 FPS and the bullet fragments on impact unlike conventional rounds that go through walls. flatter shooting than comparable rounds and usually more accurate .
    Not the man stopper a 357 mag is but less recoil and shot placement is more accessible .
    And considering that body armor is available to the public, center mass is no longer the acceptable defensive target .

5. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Arleigh,you might try the .22 tcm,it sounds like something you might like. I have one on the 1911 frame and really like it.

6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

The .22 TCM is an impressive round you must admit .
    makes nine mil look bad .
    Seems to be a lot of excitement over the new round , and for it's accuracy I can see it taking over in several areas .
    Still it would be good to see that round offered in something smaller more convenient to carry .

7. nmpops

nmpops Monkey+++

My daily carry is a S&W M642 that's loaded with Remington 158 gr LSWCHP +P rounds and my Glock 26 is loaded with Federal 124 gr. JHP +P nut just about any 115 to 124 JHP will do.

Zimmy likes this.
  8. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

My EDC is 124gr. Hornady Critical Defense JHP +P 9mm, although I do have some some Sig Sauer in same configuration I've been meaning to try. When I carry my .357 it is with Hornady CD JHP .357 JHP 158gr. My 1911 is fed with 230gr Buffalo Bore or the Hornady. My mouse gun has Hornady CD 40gr .22Mag hollow points.

Would use more Buffalo Bore, but it is scarce as an honest politician around here. (I'd say "hen's teeth, but I think those are more common than an honest politician)

Zimmy, GrayGhost and sec_monkey like this.
  9. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

.38 wad cutters in my .38's , Hydra shocks in one of my .380's with critical defense loads in another, 115 grain super vels in my .9, 230 silver tips in my .45... and #8 shot followed by 00 buck and buck and ball in my 12....l back all of these up with either my Bear big blade wood knife or my cold steel tanto 1st generation... all else fails I'm just gonna have to tote an a$$ whopping....

Zimmy and sec_monkey like this.
  10. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Witch Doctor sounds like you are well prepared for anything.

sec_monkey likes this.
  11. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

gotta try...

sec_monkey likes this.
  12. fmhuff

fmhuff Monkey+++

Since I'm no expert on the law or hand loading for that matter. I'll carry any reliable pistol and factory load used by Law Enforcement. That way your defense is you simply carry what the good guys carry. If you are being condemned then so are the Police. Not Likely.

sec_monkey and apache235 like this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Anything Hornady as a backup my own home grown loads and projectiles!!

sec_monkey likes this.
  14. 2Chest1Head

2Chest1Head Monkey+++

15. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

My current EDC ammo is 9mm Liberty USM4, which is getting harder and harder to find. Liberty has migrated that to their Civil Defense ammo. Same concept of low grain weight, high velocity, fragmenting hollow point. So for right now I am still carrying the USM4, but will be switching to Civil Defense with the new year coming and time to rotate out my EDC ammo.

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. GhettoPass

GhettoPass Monkey+

.45 acp is 185gr. Critical Defense and 9 mm is 124gr. Federal HST

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. duane
  3. OldDude49
  4. oil pan 4
  5. Oddcaliber
  6. deMolay
  7. Grandpa Patch