Personal Safety Information

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Feb 21, 2006.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That would be great poacher. You made some good points about the parking lot.

A reminder about phone surveys: Since I live in close proximity to several universities, I get frequent call from students conducting surveys. When I was at Univ. of CT, I had to conduct some as part of course work. I got a survey call tonight from a young woman. She asked if there were any males between 18 and 34 in the house. I know that 99.999% of these college surveys are just that - required by the TA as he/she pursues their doctorate but nonetheless, I no longer answer their questions. There is no way in the world I would tell a perfect stranger who, or who does not, live in this household.

2. mfascuba

mfascuba Monkey+++

A few other things about the ATM. Keep the vehicle in gear, with the emergency brake off. An automatic transmission should be in drive, with your foot on the brake, ready to go to the gas. A standard transmission is in gear, clutch depressed, foot on brake. Even if it stalls, the car should lurch a couple feet and relieve the immediate danger. If you carry a concealed weapon, have it ready. I live in Florida, it's under a shirt on the front seat. The doors are locked, the windows are all up but the one I"m reaching out of. Awareness of one's surroundings is key, don't set yourself up to be a victim because the ATM was convenient.

Mark

3. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Great tips, mfascuba! And - Welcome to the Board!

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

No way I'll do an ATM from in the car, always shut it down and take the keys. After scanning the area, of course. Remaining in my car is far too restrictive of movement if drawing has to happen. Fact is, I don't remember ever hitting the ATM at night when such a problem could arise. But if I have to go at night, I'd be sure to look inside and all around before I got back in. [booze]

5. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

The ATM's... also known as Automatic Thief Magnets. These things are a nightmare, not only on your checking account but on you too. The drive up ones usually make you expose too much of yourself which makes you a great target. The walk in ones are always in a little 6x8 room that restricts you movement. The inside ones usually have two cameras one that is in the upper corner of the room to video people walking in and the one in the machine to catch the face up close.
    If you must hit one of these then do the following things. First Never, Never, Never go alone. Take at least one other person with you and if at all possible go armed. When you go in to get your cash have your friend stand by the door and put their foot up against it. If someone tries to come in the door won't move and your friend can say you'll be out in a minute. You have effectively put a barrier (small but somthing) between the possible attacker and you. Most people will back off and wait. If they don't then you should have your cell phone with you which will allow you to call 911.
    Your friend should also be looking out and around not at what you are doing. Most banks have great landscaping around the front door with small shrubs or nice little boulders. Great for people hiding. Your friend should be looking to see if someone is trying to sneak up or mess with the car. Once you get your money if they need some then trade off but faster is better so if you can do so get what they need as well and have them pay you back. Your friend should go out first and get the car going then once they look around and give you a nod you come out get in the car and go.
    I know this sounds like a presidential motorcade but think on this... aren't you just as important as a President?
    Drive ups are just as bad because you are usually hanging half way out of the car to get your card in that damn little slot so you can put your pin in. If someone is hiding behind the machine thats a great time to grab you pull you out since you can't keep your seat belt on while doing this. Then they have a nice new car and you don't have squat because most people keep their cell phone in the car usually in the mid console.

The best option is to not use these things but if you do then do it during the daytime when your chances of being a victim is a tad lower.
    Take care Be safe Poacher.

6. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

BTT

7. Kels

Kels Monkey+

These are great tips! Honestly, common sense and observation can go a long way, but it pays to be mindful of everything around you. Trust no one!

8. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

Geeeze guys...this thread is like "how to scare a foreign guy and make him even more paranoid than he already is"...worst thing we have here are domestic disputes (that can turn nasty rarely), and neighbors kicking each others butts for sh.ts and giggles....all of the things discussed here are new for me...ATM's? Parking lots?...huh...

9. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Okay, this is an excellent thread. This is the first time I have seen it. I have 2 points to add.
    As to cars/vehicles broke down along side the road. I DO NOT STOP UNLESS I RECOGNIZE AND KNOW THE PERSON, EVER. What I do is slow and get a description of the vehicle and occupants. I mark my mileage to the 10th of a mile. I break out my cell phone and continue driving until I get to a positive reference point I can give to the police dispatcher, then I pull over and dial 911. I give them my name and my report, answer all their questions and terminate the call when they are satisfied.
    well CRS has struck, and I have forgot my second point....lol
    Ha!!! I remembered. When in larger cities and or not so nice neighborhoods, when driving your car. If you have to stop behind someone at a stop sign or stop light, ... leave yourself 3/4 to one full car length between you and the one in front of you. This gives you room to whip your wheel hard right or left, and go around the vehicle in front if danger approaches. Also, if struck from behind in a desolate area; DO NOT IMMEDIATELY STOP. Use your cell phone and dial 911, give your location and drive to a well lit occupied area. keep dispatch on the phone. request a LEO on site asap. If you are armed, keep it handy and your car locked. Window no more than cracked slightly to communicate.
    stay safe

10. Encourager

Encourager Be strong and courageous! Josh 1:9

I have been looking for many years for a class that would teach 'observation'. I know that this is taught in the military but have yet to find a class within driving distance. I try to observe on my own, but miss so much, I am sure. Living way out in the country and rarely going to big cities is a handicap.

I liked the idea of the mirrors in an early post. Going to order some for sure. We have a blind spot on our front porch that I have always been uncomfortable about.

One thing I HAVE done and recommend: I bought a purse and also a fanny pack from a site that sells Pacsaf items. These purses/fanny packs/backpacks have built in security. There are airline cables that run through the straps so that even if an attempt is made to cut the strap it can't be cut through; a metal mesh bottom that also can't be cut through and clips that secure all zipper pulls so that someone can't sneak into your bag. One of the straps also has a clip that when you undo it, you can fasten it around something else, such as the handle of the grocery cart then reclip it. I have used these for about five years and wouldn't buy another purse without these features.

Love this thread! Keep up the great posts!!

11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Mobility & Wireless News
    24 November 2006
    Devastating mobile attack under spotlight
    By Peter Judge, Techworld
    All mobile phones may be open to a simple but devastating attack that enables a third-party to eavesdrop on any phone conversation, receive any and all SMS messages, and download the phone's address book.

The attack, outlined by a German security expert, would amount to the largest ever breach of privacy for billions of mobile phone users across the world. But it remains uncertain exactly how easy and how widespread the problem could be thanks to a concerted effort by mobile operators to muddy the issue while they assess its extent.

The official response of the mobile phone operators when asked about the threat is that the attack is phoney. But despite three days of inquiries by Techworld, none have provided any evidence that there is an adequate defence to it. One operator told us all its security experts were at a meeting in Denmark, although, oddly for mobile company employees, they were also incommunicado.
    http://www.techworld.com/mobility/news/index.cfm?NewsID...

The bug in question is called RexSpy.

In German:
    Encryption Software, Anonymous Web Surfing, Computer Firewall

You can presumably download fix here:
    http://www.securstar.com/s_download.php

In another article, only avail. in Norwegian:
    FBI uses mobile phones for wiretapping of buildings.
    By Ann Kristin Bentzen Ernes
    It has been disclosed that the FBI can use mobile phones for so-called «roving bugging».
    (...)
    FBI has adopted a new way of electronic surveillance in criminal investigations. Not only do they listen to phone conversations, they can also remotely activate the microphone of the mobile phone, and catch ordinary conversation in the phone's vicinity.
    (NO):
    FBI bruker mobiler til romavlytting - digi.no : Juss & samfunn

12. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

Yes...All true, but nothing new. I've known this for years. Only way to be safe is taking the battery out...We noticed that when they are listening, a faint echo appears...like you hear yourself talking with a delay.

13. RightHand

I can highly recommend Marc MacYoung's website as a form of self-study. I have communicated with Marc directly and found him to be very helpful. You can visit his website at No Nonsense Self Defense

14. CrufflerJJ

CrufflerJJ Monkey++

He's got some excellent books out, as well as some good DVDs on the reality of knife fighting.

One book that I HIGHLY recommend is Gavin de Becker's The Gift of Fear.

See:

The Gift of Fear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Gift of Fear

The Gift of Fear Book Review

Amazon.com: The Gift of Fear : Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence (9780316235020):…

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  15. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

We had this month like epidemic pick-pocketing... mostly tourists and stuff...but I remembered what a girl did some years ago...or so the rumor was...
    She took an empty wallet and saw on it fishing tri-hooks...and went to a bus ride...
    They had to take the thief to hospital to remove the hooks...Yikes!
    In the army we had like training of some techniques and improvisations...one was nice for assassination in a crowd with maximum effect...Hand grenade packed in steel wire with fish hooks...Hook the victim in the back, pull the pin, take cover....3000 steel balls do a lot of damage... :D

16. RightHand

Thanks CrufflerJJ. I will most certainly check them out. I appreciate the reference.

17. CrufflerJJ

CrufflerJJ Monkey++

The basic recurring theme in the Gift of Fear is:

TRUST YOUR GUT

In today's "civilized" world, it's all to easy to be deceived by a smile, good clothing, or a "safe" environment. Listen to the little voice saying "watch out."

I think you'll like the book (available dirt cheap, used on Amazon).

18. RightHand

Trust you gut is the advice I give everyone. If you're wrong, no harm, no foul. If you're right you may have saved your own life.

19. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

I very strongly agree...Reason and common sense work ONLY when we have enough relevant info to make rational decision. When we don't, instincts, or as you say "gut" takes over. Instincts saved my butt more than once!... [booze]

20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Bump, and --

Don't put anything on the curb for the trashman that could identify either yourself, your family, or what might have arrived under the tree. Watch for receipts with your name, card numbers and the like which would possibly be attractive to identity thieves. Use opaque trash bags and shred anything that could tag you as a potential target.

OPSEC rules!!!!

[monkeyeating]

BTPost likes this.
  1. Hanzo
  2. Tempstar
  3. Motomom34
  4. Pax Mentis
  5. Brokor
  6. lonewolf88
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Witch Doctor 01
  9. Yard Dart