PETA is at it again..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CRC, Dec 4, 2005.

1. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

No..not People Eating Tasty Animals...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10265078/

Taking on PETA over new ad campaign
    Activist group spokesman defends 'Your Daddy Kills Animals' comic
    FREE VIDEO

• Your Daddy kills animals
    Nov. 29: The Situation's Tucker Carlson gets tough with PETA who have come out with a new anti-fishing campaign that makes dad out to be a killer.

MSNBC
    Updated: 5:49 p.m. ET Nov. 30, 2005

Tucker Carlson
    Anchor, 'The Situation'

A good advertisement is designed to grab people's attention, but PETA's recent campaign to stop fishing has some fishermen, very much including MSNBC's Tucker Carlson, pretty annoyed.

PETA is distributing leaflets that show an angry cartoon father figure ripping apart a fish. Plastered over the picture in big letters, it says, "Your Daddy Kills Animals."

On Tuesday, Carlson welcomed Bruce Friedrich, PETA's director of farmed animal campaigns to as he said, "defend the indefensible."

To read an excerpt of their conversation, continue to the text below. To watch the video, click on the "Launch" button to the right.

TUCKER CARLSON: I'm offended by this. I can't believe actually that you put this out. This is an attack on fathers aimed at children. How could you do this?

BRUCE FRIEDRICH: Well, Tucker, it's an attack on cruelty to animals, and our point is very, very serious. If you fish, I can see how you'd be offended by it, because fishing supports cruelty to animals. If you wouldn't take a hook and put it through a dog's mouth and drag that animal behind the car, you shouldn't do that to fish.

CARLSON: Well, there are so many false statements in your last sentence, let me just pick them apart one by one.

First, I want to talk about this comic book ... "Your Daddy Kills Animals." In here you have lines like this, "Since your daddy is teaching you the wrong lessons about right and wrong, you should teach him fishing is killing. Until your daddy learns it's not fun to kill, keep your doggies and kitties away from him. He's so hooked on killing defenseless animals, they could be next."

I assume you have no children, right? You couldn't. Nobody with children would put this out, because that's the kind of thing that gives kids nightmares. I mean, seriously, your daddy's going to kill your dog? Come on.

FRIEDRICH: Tucker, we focus grouped the ad. Kids get it. If you watch MTV, you go to the web sites that kids like, even watch Saturday morning cartoons, this is the sort of hyperbole that kids really like. But it makes a serious point, scientifically, biologically. Fish feel pain in the same way that dogs and cats feel pain. Cruelty to fish is no more morally justifiable than is cruelty to dogs or cats.

CARLSON: What about cruelty to children and their fathers? I'm serious. I'm totally serious. Why go -- why go after kids? Why go after kids? Why? You have an adult point to make. Why not change adult minds?

FRIEDRICH: Well, I think it's important to go after both, but kids get it. We focus-grouped the comic book with kids. Kids, to a kid, thought that it was fantastic. And unlike a lot of the other things that were being focused-grouped, kids could, after reading it, they remembered what they had read, because it was appealing and it was interesting.

CARLSON: Bruce, even in Washington, a focus group is not a moral justification. I don't care what your focus group said. How about common sense? How about you don't accuse parents of wanting to kill the family pet? I mean, that's so sick. That's so over the top. Totally serious, actually.

FRIEDRICH: I know you're totally serious, but you're underestimating these kids. I worked for more than six years in a homeless shelter for families. I spend a lot of time around kids. You're underestimating them.

LIVE VOTE
    Is PETA's campaign offensive?

CARLSON: I've got four kids. Don't lecture me about kids. I know I would-if someone slipped this under my door, I'd punch them out. I couldn't handle it.

FRIEDRICH: You as a fisherman don't like it.

CARLSON: Hold on, first of all, I'm a fisherman who doesn't ever kill fish. I not only unhook the fish on barbless hooks, but I you know, do my best not to kill them, and they rarely die. I'm not attempting to justify my own fishing. I don't need to.

Here's the point I want to make, though, and it's a public policy point. Fishermen help and save fish populations. Where do you think the money from fishing licenses goes? It goes to save wetlands, inland wetlands in this country, and it goes to repopulate streams, brooks, and lakes with fish. That's why we have a lot of fish because of fishermen, period. It's true.

FRIEDRICH: Tucker, fish feel pain in the same way as dogs and cats. Impaling them on hook supports cruelty to animals, and it's not justifiable. Additionally, eating fish rots your brain. The Environmental Protection Agency says that if you eat fish as few as two times...

Related content
    Read Tucker Carlson's 'Untied' blog
    'The Situation' homepage

CARLSON: You're switching from topic to topic.

FRIEDRICH: Yes, but if we're going to be talking about what we should be offended about, we should be offended that the Environmental Protection Agency isn't telling you that if you're feeding your kid fish, you're feeding them poison.

CARLSON: Hold on. Hold on. Without getting, if you feed your kid poisoned fish, you're feeding them poison.

FRIEDRICH: No.

CARLSON: If you're feeding them unpoisoned fish, you're not. But look, I don't...

FRIEDRICH: If you're feeding your kid tuna or salmon or fish sticks, you're feeding your kid poison.

CARLSON: Now you're attacking. Now you're attacking.

FRIEDRICH: The 'Wall Street Journal' front page piece about a kid who was eating tuna sandwiches on a daily basis. He went from being an honor student to being in remedial reading. He went from being a jock to being unable to catch a football. Front page, "Wall Street Journal," August 1.

CARLSON: It must be true. It was in the newspaper. Of course it's true. Come on, Bruce, you know that. It's axiomatic.

FRIEDRICH: Tucker, it's based on the Environmental Protection Agency saying that if you eat any fish as few as two times a week, you will have measurable decrease in your cognitive function.

CARLSON: I guess I'm just amazed, as I have been before. I've interviewed Ingrid Newkirk, the head of your organization. And I'm sympathetic. I love animals. I have a lot of animals.

FRIEDRICH: Thank you.

CARLSON: Unlike Ingrid Newkirk, who has no animals, incidentally.

FRIEDRICH: The point is, she cares for...

CARLSON: Yes, she cares, but she doesn't have any. The point -- the point I'm making, you're very concerned about the feelings of fish. But you don't care at all about the feelings of kids, or their parents.

FRIEDRICH: That's not fair.

CARLSON: No, it's totally fair. You're putting out this garbage. If you cared, you wouldn't.

FRIEDRICH: Tucker, kids like it. You're underestimating them. Kids like it. It's focused on kids age 12 and up, and it speaks to them in a language that they understand. No kids are going to be traumatized by this. Kids, to a kid, think it's fantastic and retain the information.

CARLSON: Don't send it to my house, Bruce.

FRIEDRICH: OK, I won't.

CARLSON: I wouldn't care for it one bit. I appreciate you coming on anyway.

2. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I saw this on FOX last week - it advises kids to hide the pets because if Daddy kills fish he'll kill the dog and cat too. Disgusting crap. I wore my "People for the Eating of Tasty Animals" t-shirt yesterday. On the back it says "Fat people are harder to kidnap". :D

3. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

I think, to avoid hypocrisy, PETA members and their families should avoid:
    Any medicines made with research on lab animals. This will include almost all antibiotics, even the synthetics penicillins.

Any medical procedure proven by animal research, which will be most transplants.

Any meat, eggs or any thing made from an animal by-product. Any vegetable or product of the earth produced with animal labor.

Help me make a list, and we'll start circulating it on the internet.

4. ghostrider

Among the medical breakthroughs to which research with laboratory animals contributed are organ transplants, combination drug therapies that are extending and improving the lives of people with AIDS/HIV, molecularly-targeted medicines that are having astounding effectiveness against cancer, and vaccines against polio, mumps, measles, rubella, chickenpox, bacterial meningitis, pneumonia, flu, hepatitis A, hepatitis B and many other diseases.

There are also some very dramatic examples – one need look no further than the enormous task that the Gulf Coast faces in recovering from Hurricane Katrina. Officials are concerned about an emerging public health crisis in the form of diseases, infections and injuries. That “second wave” of disaster can be mitigated through the use of antibiotics, tetanus vaccine, antimalarial and antidiarrheal agents and other medicines, all now being distributed to emergency medical centers throughout the region, all of which have been developed through animal-based research.

Another vivid example may be seen in the development at Walter Reed Army Medical Center of the individual packets of blood clotting agent carried by soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. As soon as the product was thoroughly tested on animals for safety and effectiveness, it was rushed to the battlefield to protect American forces.

5. ghostrider

http://www.amprogress.org/Issues/IssuesList.cfm?c=10

Virtually every medical breakthrough of modern times has come as the result of research with animals. Many more treatments and cures await discovery. Americans for Medical Progress is working to assure that scientists will continue to have the resources and freedom to pursue their research.

TREATMENT FOR RABIES
    Deadly disease marked by convulsions and death; afflicts wild and domestic animals; can be transmitted to humans. Species studied: dogs, rabbits.

TREATMENT FOR SMALLPOX
    One of the world's most dreaded plagues, estimated to have caused two million deaths. Species studies: cows.

TREATMENT FOR ANTHRAX
    Disease marked by rise in body temperature, followed by depression, spasms, respiratory or cardiac distress, convulsions, and death. Devastating epidemics were recorded up until the twentieth century. Species studied: sheep.

CARDIAC CATHETERIZATION TECHNIQUES
    A procedure which allows doctors to insert a flexible tube into an artery or vein to the heart, used for injecting drugs directly into the heart to measure blood flow and pressure, diagnose and treat congenital heart disease and narrowed passages. Species studied: dogs, rabbits.

TREATMENT FOR RICKETS
    Vitamin D deficiency causes defective bone growth in infants and children. Species studied: dogs.

DISCOVERY OF INSULIN
    To control diabetes, a chronic disease of the pancreas marked by the inability to utilize carbohydrates, excess sugar in the blood and urine, excessive thirst, hunger and urination, weakness and emaciation; can cause blindness and death. Species studied: dogs.

DEVELOPMENT OF MODERN ANESTHESIA
    Allowing artificially induced unconsciousness or local or general insensitivity to pain. Species studied: dogs.

PREVENTION OF TETANUS
    Also called lockjaw, an acute infectious disease of humans and other animals characterized by painful muscle spasms and convulsions. Species studied: horses.

DEVELOPMENT OF ANTICOAGULANTS
    Drugs that inhibit action of blood clotting factors that, in excess can cause clots, phlebitis, embolisms and lead to death. Species studied: cats.

TREATMENT OF RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS
    A disease in which the connective tissues of the body become inflamed; cause is still unknown, although medications relieve pain and control inflammation. Species studied: rabbits, monkeys.

DISCOVERY OF THE RH FACTOR
    The ability to detect the Rh antigen in red blood cells marked a breakthrough in the immunology of pregnancy. Species studied: rhesus monkeys.

PREVENTION OF DIPHTHERIA
    An acute contagious disease marked by formation of membranes in the throat and other air passages, causing difficulty breathing, high fever, weakness and often death. Species studied: horses.

ANTIBIOTICS
    Development of penicillin and other broad-spectrum antibiotics revolutionized the treatment of bacterial infection in humans and other animals. Species studied: many, including rats, mice and rabbits.

TREATMENT FOR WHOOPING COUGH
    Also called pertussis, among the most acute infections of children; a highly communicable respiratory disease characterized by short, dry coughs; serious complications include convulsions and brain damage. Species studied: guinea pigs and rabbits.

PREVENTION OF POLIO
    A disease marked by symptoms ranging from mild infection to extensive paralysis; in 1952, nearly 58,000 cases were reported in the U.S. alone; today, the disease has been eradicated in the Western Hemisphere, and it is hoped that it will be eliminated worldwide by the end of the 20th century. Species studied: rabbits, monkeys, rodents.

DEVELOPMENT OF OPEN HEART SURGERY AND CARDIAC PACEMAKER
    Revolutionized treatment for people suffering from severe heart disease. Species studied: dogs.

DEVELOPMENT OF CANCER CHEMOTHERAPY
    Can bring about remission of certain cancers, either short-term or permanently. Species studied: monkeys, rabbits and rodents.

DISCOVERY OF TRANQUILIZERS
    Chemical compounds to reduce hyperactivity, anxiety and tension. Species studied: rats, rabbits and monkeys.

DEVELOPMENT OF LITHIUM
    For prevention of manic depressive illness and recurrent depression. Species studied: rats and guinea pigs.

PREVENTION OF RUBELLA
    An epidemic viral disease marked by low fever, rash, enlarged lymph glands; can cause severe fetal defects in pregnant women. Species studied: monkeys.

PREVENTION OF MEASLES
    An acute contagious viral disease, once common in childhood, marked by fever and skin eruptions. Can cause death. Species studied: monkeys.

TREATMENT FOR LEPROSY
    A chronic infectious disease marked by severe paralysis, ulceration, nutritional disturbances, gangrene and mutilation. Species studied: monkeys, armadillos.

ADVANCES IN CARDIOLOGY
    Including measurement of coronary blood flow, myocardial preservation techniques, and heart bypass techniques. Species studied: dogs.

DEVELOPMENT OF MONOCLONAL ANTIBODIES
    FOR TREATING DISEASES
    Marked a milestone in the use of antibodies as diagnostic or therapeutic tools to target specific disease cells. Species studied: mice and rabbits.

ORGAN TRANSPLANT ADVANCES
    Surgical and medical advances such as anti-rejection drugs to enable heart, liver, lung and other transplants to succeed. Species studied: dogs, sheep, cows and pigs.

LAPROSCOPIC SURGICAL TECHNIQUES
    Minimally invasive surgery vastly reduces the hospital stay of patients, for example, gall bladder patients now go home the same day, rather than facing hospitalization of a week or more. Patients can now return to work in 2-7 days instead of 4-6 weeks. Species studied: pigs.

BREAST CANCER LINKS
    Scientists are closing in on the genetic and environmental factors of breast cancer, the leading cause of death of American women ages
    35 - 54. Species studied: fruitflies, mice and rats.

GENE THERAPY FOR CYSTIC FIBROSIS
    Clinical trials are underway in the first step towards curing a disease that threatens the lives of 30,000 children and young adults in the U.S. If successful, the research could lead to a similar approach for genetic diseases such as Duchenne's muscular dystrophy and sickle cell anemia. Species studied: mice and primates.

HUMAN GENOME SEQUENCED The genetic map of human beings followed earlier successful sequencing of two lower animals. The sequencing launched a new field of scientific inquiry, comparative genomics, which provides greater understanding of how humans are similar and different from other species. Such information allows scientists to know with greater accuracy than ever the translational potential from research with animals. Species studied: Drosphila (fruit fly), C elegans (nemotode, a worm), and human beings.

1st MOLECULARLY TARGETED CANCER DRUG
    Approved to treat a rare leukemia (and later, gastric stromal tumors), Gleevec is a medical milestone in targeting a biochemical error that produces cancer. Species studied: chickens, Drosophila, mice.

CELL-CYCLE REGULATORS
    The 2001 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine was awarded to three scientists whose discoveries provided an understanding of key molecular regulators of the cell cycle. Scientists believe that understanding these regulators could lead to new cancer treatments. Species studied: sea urchins and others.

PIG MODEL OF DIABETES Diabetic pigs provide for the first time a reliable model for diabetic heart disease and give researchers a chance to test experimental new drugs and to try to control complications, such as a heart vessel closing up after balloon catheterization.
    Species studied: pigs

MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS
    Targeting two genes implicated in multiple sclerosis (MS), scientists were able to identify an antibody receptor and growth stimulating factor to decrease symptoms of an MS-like condition. Species studied: mice.

LOU GEHRIG'S DISEASE
    OR AMYOTROPHIC LATERAL SCLEROSIS (ALS)
    The antibiotic, minocycline, delayed the onset of Lou Gehrig's disease and slowed its progression in mice, suggesting a new treatment approach for people. Researchers studied mice with a version of ALS created by genetic mutations. Species studied: mice

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Eating eggs is eating bird babies. (Or platypus babies, if you go that route.)
    How about shad roe and caviar? Fish babies, ya know --
    Think of the poor grapes that suffered while being crushed for wine. (Assuming the vinyard still uses peons to stomp the grapes.)
    NO MORE BUDWEISER!!! Horse labor.
    Wheat? Plowed for and harvested by horses or mules in a lot of places.
    Rice paddies are prepared with bullocks in many parts of the world.
    Think of all the little naugas that gave up thier lives to make the cheap upholstery on the pool side furniture -- [troll]

7. ghostrider

[troll] [troll]

8. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Dont forgetabottheyeasts in breads...just because theyare smaller dosnt mean they are ess important so no more leavened bread for the PETA folk, milions ofyeasts die for each loaf!

9. ghostrider

Millions of plants died for the oil, need to cut off the natural gas to their homes, and ride a bike.

10. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Since I am in NYC, I am going to have dog for dinner at a vienamese restaurant. I fish, therefore, I shall live up to the PETA advertisement. Infact, I am going to stand outside the fox news building with a big sign saying, "I will kill and eat your dog because I am a fisherman.....BULLSHIT!"

11. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Is this the video campaign?

I DO think many would eat less meat if they worked in a slaughter house for a living. pretty gross. I'm not much for PETA activism but our demand on the livestock supply makes for some disgusting methods of harvest.

http://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

12. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

I am still having dog not matter how they are slaughtered!

13. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Not necisarialy, I didnt slow down a bit when I worked at the butcher shop. Now some of the big places are kind of scarey, I know at one time (not many years ago, as I understand) they were killing the animals by lethal injections that killed in seconds. Sorry but knowing that kind of toxins were pumped int the meat would be the one thing that would kill my appetite for it, and I learned this from a man who made his living as a butcher and for a couple of years by giveing the animals those injections. Maybe EL would know more about this.

14. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Nah, they would get over it pretty quick. It's always a shock at first to those that are not raised killing, processing, and eating their own meat. Once they become knowledgeable about the process and used to something they used to think was visually disgusting, it is just another day at work. Oh, and want to get trampled, try getting in line during an employee sales event.

15. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Agreed. I think though that I would rather kill/gut/quarter my own in place of the mechanized production of now. Not against meat or killing it... Just don't like to see the mass production of it.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7